Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 07-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Using FATE Core for a THS Campaign?

Greetings, all!

Some weeks ago, I made a careless observation that a previous THS Campaign could've been ran using FATE. After some discussion, it seems like at least two people consider it an actual option which may actually be used one day. So, kicking this into the more general THS discussion area . . .

Just how viable does the idea look?
On one hand, FATE seems to be way more able to handle parties with big gaps in character power level than GURPS. On the other, it uses Aspects to do things that GURPS does with Dis/Advantages, and that means that e.g. the 'Is a SAI' Aspect can only be of any serious use as long as the character has Fate Points to spend on activating it (and then the AI is no longer faster-reacting than the human etc.). Which, in turn, seems to produce a PluckyBaseline effect, with a strong 'like you see on TV' flavour to boot, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of transhumanism/THS.

So . . . thoughts, experience, opinions?
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
ldj00

Default Re: Using FATE Core for a THS Campaign?

Hello,

Very interested... I am not familiar enough with Fate to say you always have to have a fate point to activate an aspect, unless it is very important or is some kind of plot issue... but I could be wrong.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
thrash

You might consider Diaspora rather than FATE Core. It's a deliberately designed Traveller reboot, but includes some transhumanist elements.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
You might consider Diaspora rather than FATE Core. It's a deliberately designed Traveller reboot, but includes some transhumanist elements.
Diaspora uses an older set of Fate rules and if he's going to drop the setting anyway in favor of THS then I don't think it really matters and arguably Fate Core is better supported.

You can invoke Aspects without spending a Fate Point if you Create an Advantage first. You might also make some of the special things the more powerful characters can do a Stunt and maybe raise the Refresh to allow more and more powerful Stunts in play. (If you have access to the Dresden Files RPG you can see a worked example of Stunts as powers for an older version of Fate.)

I'd also argue "Is a SAI" is a poorly worded Aspect that would be difficult to actually use in play. Aspects should be fairly descriptive and able to be used both to benefit or be a problem. (Even a well-worded Trouble can have a beneficial side.)

I've considered doing a Banestorm gaming using Fate simply because my players find it easier to understand than GURPS, though what's holding is back is the fact they don't know the setting well.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
Anthony

You'd want to make use of Extras and/or custom Stunts for features of the setting, but 'plucky baselines' are just as prevalent in GURPS.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:27 AM   #6
Phil Masters

I'd imagine that you might want to look at Mindjammer, too, that being a recent posthumanist SF game using FATE.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:38 AM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

I haven't played much FATE, but what I have done doesn't make me optimistic about this. THS as I've played it has been largely about understanding the environment, and trying to figure out how to deal with it.

FATE seems very centred on the characters' ideas, backgrounds and other things that make up Aspects. It seems to be about making the world conform to the characters' dramatic tropes.

These don't seem highly compatible.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
You can invoke Aspects without spending a Fate Point if you Create an Advantage first. You might also make some of the special things the more powerful characters can do a Stunt and maybe raise the Refresh to allow more and more powerful Stunts in play. (If you have access to the Dresden Files RPG you can see a worked example of Stunts as powers for an older version of Fate.)
Well, inherent Aspects of a character are not Aspects Created As An Advantage. Stunts seem to way to go for e.g. faster initiative rolls of AIs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
I'd also argue "Is a SAI" is a poorly worded Aspect that would be difficult to actually use in play. Aspects should be fairly descriptive and able to be used both to benefit or be a problem. (Even a well-worded Trouble can have a beneficial side.)
Well, 'Is a SAI' has some pretty detailed in-setting effects, such as vulnerability to viruses, ultra-fast reflexes, social stigma in many states, ability to do all the generic infomorph stuff etc.)
Old 07-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I'd imagine that you might want to look at Mindjammer, too, that being a recent posthumanist SF game using FATE.
Thanks for pointing out another TH game. I might take a closer look at it some time. (Note: I'm not planning to GM FATE THS, but I might be willing to play it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I haven't played much FATE, but what I have done doesn't make me optimistic about this. THS as I've played it has been largely about understanding the environment, and trying to figure out how to deal with it.

FATE seems very centred on the characters' ideas, backgrounds and other things that make up Aspects. It seems to be about making the world conform to the characters' dramatic tropes.

These don't seem highly compatible.
To me, all RPGs were largely about understanding the environment, and trying to deal with it. This is one of the reasons why FATE is such a weird thing for me. It seems to have a way of handling Details That Matter while also being a light-ish system. Now, the whole 'character themes can be more important than character traits' is very meta for me.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

My understanding is that FATE is the "go-to" system for Transhumanist games.

There's Disaspora, Mindjammer, and the under-development official Eclipse Phase FATE version (many playtest files available online for it) ... as well as a fate version of Nova Praxis, the latter of which seems to closely mirror many tech assumptions with GURPS.

I think if you like FATE's way of handling things and its degree of abstraction, there is a ton of support for transhumanist-style games with it.

I am not comfortable with FATE myself for science fiction gaming, but this reflects my own preferences for detail regarding tactical situations, space travel, man-machine interfaces, and so on. But if that isn't a problem, there is HUGE support for transhuman gaming with Fate, more than any other system, I think.

Last edited by David L Pulver; 07-12-2015 at 04:43 PM.
David L Pulver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, fate fate core