Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #11
Anders

Default Re: KYOS - getting rid of thrust and swing damage

Yeah, but there are workarounds. Small creatures are not actually incapable of hurting people.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #12
Polydamas

SW = TH x 1.5 was part of the GULLIVER house rules in the 1990s and oughties, as was making damage double as ST doubles (currently it increases faster than ST, and swung damage is about twice thrust at the ST scores of most adventurers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
For me the biggest system benefit the Sw/Th distinction gives is that it helps distinguish different ways of using weapons that could be both swung and thrust.

However that could be replaced by simply recognising the difference in what ever unified system that replaced it.
One option would be to give each attack mode of a weapon a name and a damage or ST modifier: swing, thrust, pommel strike, back spike, rip, ... Another is to just say that swings increase your effective ST by 50% (for example).

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #13
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Yeah, but there are workarounds. Small creatures are not actually incapable of hurting people.
Part of that issue is the 1 HP level of granularity. Dozens of 0.25 HP bites would be very scary, but awkward to model.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
The damage mechanism in KYOS is fairly improbable for any ST outside of the range of maybe 5-20.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #15
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The damage mechanism in KYOS is fairly improbable for any ST outside of the range of maybe 5-20.
I think it can work, but you have to rework the bonuses for Weapon Master/Karate-Boxing-Brawling/Hooves/etc. from +1/+2 per die to +1/+2 period. What is your experience with it?
Old 01-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
I think it can work, but you have to rework the bonuses for Weapon Master/Karate-Boxing-Brawling/Hooves/etc. from +1/+2 per die to +1/+2 period. What is your experience with it?
A ST of 70 can pick up a battleship (BL 10,000 tons) and cannot scratch its paint with an attack (Thrust 15d+2). At the other end of things, a rat with a ST of -10 has a Thrust damage of 1d-22, or 1d-12/10 if you use the rule of 10s.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:09 AM   #17
Anders

Disallow ST lower than 1. ST 0 means you have BL 0 and damage 0. Yeah it breaks the pattern, but I can live with that. And allow buying Striking ST in unlimited quantities. KYOS isn't perfect, but it's better than Vanilla GURPS.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #18
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

I think that in the context of KYOSish LogST, it would make sense to have logarithmic damage (e.g. "a gun twice as dangerous as the previous one enjoys a +1d damage increase relative to it"). Without it, the abolishing of thr/sw looks weird. After all, the initial idea of the split was that Swing is the faster progression of damage. Which for some reason was ignored in the table at very-high ST.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #19
Anders

Sounds like a lot of work. I'm trying to get through this with as little work as possible. :o)
Old 01-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #20
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I think that in the context of KYOSish LogST, it would make sense to have logarithmic damage (e.g. "a gun twice as dangerous as the previous one enjoys a +1d damage increase relative to it"). Without it, the abolishing of thr/sw looks weird. After all, the initial idea of the split was that Swing is the faster progression of damage. Which for some reason was ignored in the table at very-high ST.
Levers should really get a per-die damage bonus, scaling with the size of the lever, instead of a separate table. A dagger might get a +1 per die, since the lever is mostly your arm, while most swords might get +2 per die.

Tags
alternate gurps, combat, damage, knowing your own strength, pyramid 3/83