Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default List of published GURPS settings

For the longest time I thought GURPS only had a few published campaign settings -- basically the major flagships. I've been learning I was wrong -- this week I decided to count how many and get a list of them. There are a LOT! (140+)

After going to the trouble of making a list for myself of every GURPS campaign setting published as a book, pdf, or pyramid article (not including most of Pyramid vol. 2), I figured I should post it where it might be useful.

I included the pared-down genre series, and the worldbooks that aren't available in English, but not the short campaign seed blurbs. Each setting I listed has at least a Pyramid article or a significant chunk of a chapter in a book, enough for a GM to run an adventure or two and get started fleshing it out.

Links included where possible.
Italic titles are available in 4E. (The rest are not.)
*Doesn't actually require the GURPS core book(s)

flagships (many books)
low-tech fantasy: Banestorm/Yrth, Dungeon Fantasy, *Dungeon Fantasy RPG
world-hopping/time-travel: Infinite Worlds (meta-setting with numerous alt. history worlds)
interplanetary scifi: *Transhuman Space
interstellar scifi/space opera: Traveller (also a system conversion)
modern: *World War II

series (several books)
interstellar scifi: *Prime Directive/Star Trek, Space Atlas series (several worlds, incl. Stardemon and Unnight)
post-apocalypse: After the End, Autoduel
modern: Action!
modern horror: Monster Hunters

conversions of other systems (most have an entire non-GURPS RP gameline, some have novels or other media as well)
modern alt. history fantasy: In Nomine
modern alt. history fantasy/horror/scifi: Mage: the Ascension
future fantasy: Tékumel
steampunk/alt. history fantasy: Castle Falkenstein
world-hopping/time-travel: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon (not a whole gameline)
interstellar scifi: Star*Drive (just 1 Pyramid article)
biopunk: Blue Planet
post-apocalypse: Ogre (from a minis wargame)
modern conspiracy: Conspiracy X
historical horror: Deadlands
modern horror: Vampire: the Masquerade, Werewolf: the Apocalypse
future horror: CthulhuPunk,
rabbits: Bunnies and Burrows (not a whole gameline)

other licenses (most have one or two worldbooks each, plus a non-RPG media series)
low-tech(?) fantasy: *Discworld (novels), Myth (computer game series)
low-tech alt. history fantasy: Hyborian Age (Conan novels)
future fantasy: New Sun (novels), Witch World (novels)
sword and planet: Planet Krishna (novels)
planetary romance: Planet of Adventure (novels)
interstellar scifi: Alpha Centauri (novels, computer game), Humanx (novels), Lensman (novels), Uplift (novels), *Vorkosigan Saga (novels)
post-apocalypse: Horseclans (novels), War Against the Chtorr (novels)
other scifi: Casey & Andy (webcomic), Riverworld (novels)
modern conspiracy: The Village (The Prisoner) (TV series)
supers: *Hellboy (comic series), Wild Cards (anthology series)

one or two worldbooks each
low-tech(?) fantasy: Alchemical Baroque, Mad Lands
low-tech alt. history fantasy: Celtic Myth
modern alt. history fantasy: Goblins, Weird War II
illuminati/urban fantasy/humor: IOU
future fantasy: Technomancer (partial 4th Ed. conversion in Pyramid #3/30)
steampunk: Britannica-6
alternate history: Age of Gold
historical: Age of Napoleon, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Arabian Nights, Aztecs, Constantinople, 527-1204 A.D., Crusades, French Revolution, Ice Age, Imperial China, Imperial Japan, Imperial Rome, Middle Ages, Old West, Rennaissance Florence, Russia, Swashbucklers, Vikings
pulp: Cliffhangers
interplanetary scifi: Tales of the Solar Patrol, Terradyne
cyberpunk: Cyberworld (One and Twenty)
post-apocalypse: Reign of Steel, Y2K
modern: SEALS in Vietnam
modern conspiracy: Black Ops
modern horror: Cabal, Voodoo: The Shadow War
supers: International Super Teams
man plus dinosaur: Lands Out of Time

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 10-22-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Re: List of published GURPS settings

one or two chapters each, or one really short "book"
low-tech alt. history fantasy: Collegio Januari, Orichalcum Age (Atlantis), Roma Arcana (Fantasy 4E)
modern alt. history fantasy: The Reptilian Gaze (Dragons)
sword and planet: Dying Mars (Mars)
steampunk/supers: Lords of the Deep (Atlantis), Steampunk settings (Etheria, Iron, Qabala, and Providence)
alternate history: cinematic Camelot and mythic Camelot
world-hopping/time-travel: Time Travel campaign frameworks (Eternity's Rangers, The Horatio Club, In the Cube, The Order of the Hourglass, Time Corps/Stopwatch)
historical: historical Camelot
interplanetary scifi: Mars (Domed, Superscience, and Terraformed versions)
interstellar scifi: Asteroid Raider (Robin Hood), Cybermech Damocles (Mecha), Draconis (Bio-Tech 4E),
cyberpunk: cyber-Robin’s setting (?)(Robin Hood)
other scifi: Alexander Athanatos (Bio-Tech 4E)
conspiracy: Atomic Horror setting, Heirs of Minos (Atlantis), The Phoenix Project (Psionics 3E)
horror: Horror 4th & 3rd Eds. (Blood in the Craters and Seas of Dread), The Madness Dossier

Pyramid articles (Note there may be other settings I'm unaware of in Vols. 1 & 2. Please post or PM me with any!)
low-tech fantasy: City of Than, Wellsprings of Creation
modern/alt. history fantasy: The New Kingdom, Dragons: Second Gaze (w/ 4E conversion notes)
future fantasy: Celtic Space, Cyberme, Gaia in Darkness, Roma Universalis #3/20, 3/24, 3/27, 3/30), Transelven Space
steampunk: Across Africa With Iron and Steam, The Map’s Dark Spaces
alternate history: An Age of Sails, Igor-1, The Red Rockets' Glare, Sprockets
world-hopping/time-travel: 23 Skidoo
interplanetary scifi: Agents of PSION, Shores Beyond the Night
interstellar scifi: "...And I feel Fine", The Children of Inzanami, Meridian, Tangaroa, Wild Life
cyberpunk: Zauberpunk
biopunk: Atrivita
post-apocalypse: CybEarth, "A bleak setting..." (zombie apocalypse)
other scifi: Tokyo Psience Police, Unity War
modern conspiracy: Alien Ops, Kung-Fu Crucible, One Perfect Day (systemless)
future horror: Reign of Fire, Reign of Soul
man plus dinosaur: Stonepunk
other: Bronzepunk, The Hole

worldbooks in Japanese only (the listed genres are approximations/guesses)
low-tech fantasy: Cocoon, Runal/Yuel (both also have novel series)
modern/urban fantasy: Reborn Rebirth
world-hopping: Dragon Merc/Dragon Mark
horror: Youma Yakou/Damned Stalkers

worldbook in Korean only (the listed genre is an approximation/guess)
low-tech fantasy: Sylfiena

Published GURPS Settings

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 11-10-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

I'd quibble with calling Action, Monster Hunters, and Dungeon Fantasy settings. They provide rules frameworks for certain genres, but there are no specific people, places, or events associated with them.

Anyway, for settings in Pyramid, there's my "Wellsprings of Creation" article which sets out a swords-and-sorcery-leaning fantasy world which shamelessly plunders everybody else's web-Pyramid fantasy locations and smaller settings. If you have that, you can add a lot of other items to the list (if not, maybe someone can get you a list).

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Vaevictis Asmadi

Yeah, I included the three reduced-GURPS series because AFAICT, they are designed to be ready-to-use as-is. Conversely I didn't list some settings that are described but don't seem to have enough ready-made material to run even an adventure.

Published GURPS Settings
Old 04-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I'd quibble with calling Action, Monster Hunters, and Dungeon Fantasy settings. They provide rules frameworks for certain genres, but there are no specific people, places, or events associated with them.
Dungeon Fantasy is an implied setting. Certain Hidden Lore mandatory specializations are defined as existing, and supernatural alignments are (vaguely) defined as Good, Evil, Bunny and Squid.

I haven't seen anything like that in Action, and I haven't read Monster Hunters closely enough to be able to comment, although I'll assume both presume a present day setting as opposed to, e.g., a 1980s' or sixties setting (either of which might a great supplement, or a long Pyramid article, although the Spycraft 1 RPG already did the sixties).
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
one or two chapters each
steampunk/supers: Lords of the Deep (Atlantis)
Are you limiting this to settings that are at least a chapter long? GURPS Steampunk has four settings sketched out in its final chapter: Etheria, Iron, Qabala, and Providence. Though Providence is our world with a notional secret history.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Vaevictis Asmadi

Thanks, I didn't know of those.

I do think the list will be most useful if it just includes those detailed enough to pick up and run an adventure. So for example, I didn't list The Power of Belief from Faerie, since it only has a 1-page sketch.

Here's the list, by genre, of those available in English. Those with a 4E version or conversion guide are in italic.
* Doesn't actually require the Basic Set(s)

low-tech fantasy: Alchemical Baroque, Banestorm/Yrth, *Discworld, Dungeon Fantasy series, *Dungeon Fantasy RPG, Mad Lands, Myth, Wellsprings of Creation
low-tech alt. history fantasy: Collegio Januari, Celtic Myth, Hyborian Age, Orichalcum Age, Roma Arcana
modern alt. history fantasy: Dragons: Second Gaze, Goblins, In Nomine, The New Kingdom, The Reptilian Gaze, Weird War II
modern alt. history fantasy/horror/scifi: Mage: the Ascension
illuminati fantasy/comedy: IOU
future fantasy: Celtic Space, Cyberme, Gaia in Darkness, New Sun, Roma Universalis, Technomancer, Tékumel, Transelven Space, Witch World
sword and planet: Dying Mars, Planet Krishna
steampunk: Across Africa With Iron and Steam, Britannica-6, Etheria, Iron, Lords of the Deep, The Map’s Dark Spaces, Providence, Qabala
steampunk alt. history fantasy: Castle Falkenstein
alternate history: Age of Gold, An Age of Sails, cinematic Camelot, mythic Camelot, The Red Rocket's Glare, Sprockets, tons of Infinite Worlds timelines
world-hopping/time-travel/alt. history: 23 Skidoo, Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, Eternity's Rangers, The Horatio Club, In the Cube, Infinite Worlds, The Order of the Hourglass, Time Corps/Stopwatch
historical: Age of Napoleon, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Arabian Nights, Aztecs, Constantinople 527-1204 A.D., Crusades, French Revolution/Scarlet Pimpernel, historical Camelot, Ice Age, Imperial China, Imperial Japan, Imperial Rome, Middle Ages, Old West, Rennaissance Florence, Russia, Swashbucklers, Vikings
pulp: Cliffhangers
interplanetary scifi: Agents of PSION, Domed Mars, Shores Beyond the Night, Superscience Mars, Tales of the Solar Patrol, Terradyne, Terraformed Mars, *Transhuman Space
planetary romance: Planet of Adventure
interstellar scifi: Alpha Centauri, "...And I feel Fine", Asteroid Raider, The Children of Inzanami, Cybermech Damocles, Draconis, Humanx, Lensman, Meridian, *Prime Directive/Star Trek, Space Atlas series of worlds, Star*Drive, Tangaroa, Traveller, Uplift, *Vorkosigan Saga, Wild Life
cyberpunk: Cyber-Robin’s setting (?), Cyberworld/One and Twenty, Zauberpunk
biopunk: Atrivita, Blue Planet
post-apocalypse: After the End, Autoduel, CybEarth, Horseclans, Ogre, Reign of Steel, War Against the Chtorr, Y2K, a zombie? apocalypse setting
other scifi: Alexander Athanatos, Casey & Andy, Riverworld, Tokyo Psience Police, Unity War
modern real(-ish): Action! series, SEALS in Vietnam, *World War II
modern conspiracy: Alien Ops, Atomic Horror’s setting, Black Ops, Conspiracy X, Heirs of Minos, Kung-Fu Crucible, One Perfect Day, The Phoenix Project, The Village/The Prisoner
historical horror Deadlands, 2nd Ed. Horror historical settings
modern horror: Cabal, The Madness Dossier, Monster Hunters series, Seas of Dread, Vampire: the Masquerade, Voodoo: The Shadow War, Werewolf: the Apocalypse
future horror: Blood in the Craters, CthulhuPunk, Reign of Fire, Reign of Soul
supers: *Hellboy, International Super Teams, Wild Cards
man plus dinosaur: Lands Out of Time, Stonepunk
other: Bronzepunk, Bunnies and Burrows, The Hole

Published GURPS Settings

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 10-30-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
Mr_Sandman

Did I miss it, or is Illuminati missing?
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Vaevictis Asmadi

I had the impression that both Illuminati and Warehouse 23 were genre toolbox books like Steampunk and Horror. Do they have worked setting example(s)?

Published GURPS Settings
Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
gruundehn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
Did I miss it, or is Illuminati missing?
You will ignore the facts concerning the Illuminati. Move along, nothing to see here. Move along or we'll move you along.

Tags
campaign settings, settings, worldbooks, worlds