Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
copeab

Default Adding a second magic system to an existing campaign

My Weird WWII campaign has only used ritual magic (book/path for you 4e folks). After the PCs recovered a couple of spell books from the "Ravenloft part" of the spirit realm. These use the standard spell-magic system with a few of the optional rules*.

I have not yet decided how (or if) I want spell magic to be used on earth. My initial ideas are:

(1) Earth is low mana, so there is a -5 penalty to spells. Mana levels don't affect ritual magic, so this has no effect on the existing magic system.

(2) Those with Ritual Adept +5 can learn and cast and spells that don't require Magery 2+.

Any comments?

* No automatic reductions for cost/time due to high skill being the most notable.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
BaHalus

Default Re: Adding a second magic system to an existing campaign

earth actually is low mana. At least that was the assumption in 3ed as i remember.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

You may want to be careful about which spells you provide to the PCs. The classic example is Reverse Missiles, which is expensive in energy, but deadly in a a setting where there are lots of guns, and it's pretty easy to get the other side to shoot at you. Steal Power and Draw Power are also hugely effective in a world with lots of fuel and engines.

But if you stick to Ravenloft-styled spells, you should be pretty safe.

Last edited by johndallman; 03-15-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

You will, of course, find that the two magic systems have different strong and weak points. Spell magic has effective healing, if you admit those spells, but has profound range limitations on many things. Path/book has some good information effects, which spell magic doesn't easily match, but its biggest point is that it isn't usually obvious, once cast, while spell magic screams "sorcery!"
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
vierasmarius

Another key difference is the timescales involved in casting. For Path/Book, rituals takes tens of minutes to complete, and have subtle effects, while classic Spell magic can be done in seconds with discrete tactical effects. I think you might actually get more mileage out of making new rituals based on Spells, rather than using the spell as-is. That way they will match existing rituals in terms of time required, scale of effect and flexibility.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
earth actually is low mana. At least that was the assumption in 3ed as i remember.
Yeah, most books listed it as such. Celtic Myth might have been an exception, but I don't have the book handy.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
You may want to be careful about which spells you provide to the PCs. The classic example is Reverse Missiles, which is expensive in energy, but deadly in a a setting where there are lots of guns, and it's pretty easy to get the other side to shoot at you.
I've known about this spell since 1991 ;) Against fores with automatic weapons, it might be the most awesome offensive spell in the game.

Quote:
Steal Power and Draw Power are also hugely effective in a world with lots of fuel and engines.
I'm probably going with just the spells in the Basic Set plus a few selected from Magic. I doubt I'll ise anything from Grimore.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
You will, of course, find that the two magic systems have different strong and weak points. Spell magic has effective healing, if you admit those spells, but has profound range limitations on many things. Path/book has some good information effects, which spell magic doesn't easily match, but its biggest point is that it isn't usually obvious, once cast, while spell magic screams "sorcery!"
Path/book magic is also more flexible in what you can do -- a caster can create a new ritual much easier than with spell magic. And you don't have fatigue asa limiting factor.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Another key difference is the timescales involved in casting. For Path/Book, rituals takes tens of minutes to complete, and have subtle effects, while classic Spell magic can be done in seconds with discrete tactical effects.
Both the ritual mages in the campaign have the advantages that let them ignore long casting times, if they wish, although it's still a bit slower than spell magic.

Quote:
I think you might actually get more mileage out of making new rituals based on Spells, rather than using the spell as-is. That way they will match existing rituals in terms of time required, scale of effect and flexibility.
Unfortunately, the PCs already looked through the books and know it's a new system, not new rituals.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
Refplace

I would probably be careful about what spells they could learn and make them hard to learn in the first place. However a number of spells would be handy as they can cast faster and easier with less prep. Also some just do nifty stuff not currently in Path/Book magic though you could add it.
I would also consider for a more open game letting them buy the alternate Ritual Path system as skills and capped to the appropriate Path?Book skill.
Another thing I would consider as an easier investment would be a perk to cast the Spell version of a known Path/Book ritual they have spent points on.
Could be a special exercises perk to let them learn it as a spell without having to quest or research the spell.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, wwii