Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 12-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
JAA

Default Help Me Decide Which Set

I want cars and cards.

I am in the UK, so postage will be a bit heavy. $35 for the base set, or $50 for the $140 set.

I used to play back in the 80s and 90s, so was really excited when I saw the videos of how simple and quick the new game has become without losing anything of the flavour.

I really like the $140 set, but have little interest in the two playmats. I am indifferent to the dice bag. I would rather have the other two car boxes and the Uncle Al Black Friday set I missed. I like the road tiles. Highway games were always my favourite games back in the 80s.

The $75 looks nice, but feel I would be missing out on a lot of cards.

Which set is best for me?

Or could another $140 set be made, with all four car sets, but with the playmats replaced with something else for people who want cars and cards?

Last edited by JAA; 12-27-2019 at 12:44 PM.
JAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
woodchuck

Default Re: Help Me Decide Which Set

Not really, all 4 car sets would be $160 and adding the road tiles would be raise your total to $190. You might be able to find someone to share the costs with or trade the playmats for something you want.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
JAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
Not really, all 4 car sets would be $160 and adding the road tiles would be raise your total to $190. You might be able to find someone to share the costs with or trade the playmats for something you want.
The $140 set looks good, but surely you are including things most people are not immediately going to want, such as playmats. Surely they are for people who have all the cars and cards they want, and are then looking for EXTRA bling?

You get 2 car boxes in the $140 set anyway. Their KS price is $40 each.

The playmats' KS price is $45, so replacing them for the other 2 car boxes is almost equivalent, in fact its $10 cheaper. Also the size of these playmats might be a issue with the postage for the $140 set. Surely most people would want all four car sets in the $140 option rather than just 2 car sets and 2 playmats?

Surely there are others like me who are after the cars and cards?

Last edited by JAA; 12-27-2019 at 05:10 PM.
JAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:09 AM   #4
beetle496

SJG has been quite clever about structuring this KS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA View Post
Surely there are others like me who are after the cars and cards?
Yes, and those people should get the Double Ace pledge, for the two $40 miniature sets (and some cards). You are basically getting the Road Tiles and Play Mats for free.

And then there are folks like me who didn’t care so much about extra cars and cards, but I knew I wanted the Road Tiles and at least one Play Mat. So I pledged Double Ace and it is like I am getting two miniature sets (and some cards) for free!

Last edited by beetle496; 12-28-2019 at 11:31 AM. Reason: grammar
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
baakyocalder

Double Ace might get even better, as the stretch goals to $595,000 have been announced.

Those stretch goals kick in starting at $580,000 for an additional car to Miniatures Set 1. Then go up the set numbers and every $5000, another set gets a car. So, by $595,000 in backing, all 4 miniatures sets have 5 cars. Combine with the 10 cars in the base game and that's potentially 30 cars.

The only way to get all the cards is to get all the miniatures sets and buy the cards outside the core game or do the Double Ace set and buy Miniatures Set 2 and Miniatures Set 4.

At $140+$40+$40 you get a ton of stuff for a Double Ace pledge and 2 miniatures set. For $230 U.S., you're getting a lot. Throw in a little more for Uncle Al's, as it's available as an add-on. If you don't want the playmats, they would be a good gift to a Car Wars fan or a good trade for someone who wants a pretty mat for another game in 1/64 scale, which is close to that for fantasy figures that are 28mm.

Steve Jackson Games put the UK shipping estimates in the Kickstarter FAQ and will be shipping to the UK directly after packaging in the U.S.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...son-games/faqs

Looks like the $140 pledge has $50 in estimated shipping, and comparable pledges are the same. That $400 pledge level was for a bunch of Car Wars Pocket Boxes, which 20 boxes adds a lot of weight.

At the $75 level, you miss out on a lot of cards.

There are several backer sheets to help you figure out the best bang for your Car Wars bucks. Below is Karl's sheet, which is easy to see the rewards on and has been active for most of the campaign. Karl linked other sheets in the body of his sheet in case another comparison works for you.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...AHY/edit#gid=0

Summary: $140 pledge plus Uncle Al's plus the Miniatures Set 2 and 4 is a great pledge.

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
baakyocalder

As for me, I am at the $139 Black Friday level and adding on playmat #2, miniatures set 2 and 4 and the Blue/Green set and Rules Pack as well as some extra Crew and Armory cards. That way, I've got 6 players.

Either the Red/Yellow or Green/Blue will get you 5 more cars and 2 bases and cards and dashboard to add two players. For those packs, the question becomes which cars are more aesthetically pleasing to you, as each pack is half the base game's vehicle and player section. Rules Pack adds dice and counters and turning keys and damage deck and the rulebook.

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
Old 12-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #7
beetle496

Helping you spend your money!
Quote:
Originally Posted by baakyocalder View Post
Either the Red/Yellow or Green/Blue will get you 5 more cars and 2 bases and cards and dashboard to add two players.
Just $25 more and you get another 5 cars and components for a 7-8 player game. Plus another box to help organize everything…
Old 12-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
baakyocalder

Rules Pack + Red/Yellow or Green/Blue is $65.

2nd core game is $75. Probably better for a second core game, to expand the number of players, though you don't get the extras again on the same pledge.

And although I have a big budget for the game, I wanted cards for six players and all three playmats. Since I don't see more than six players being fun because that's my regular gaming group size and an average six-player game would project to 3 hours (half hour per player is the SJ Games assumption on play and the videos run about an hour with 2 players or the 3-player rookie race), that's what works for me.

The split of the sections of the core game into rules pack, red/yellow and green/blue gives everyone options on what to buy.

Steve Jackson Games has done a great job giving you options to tailor Car Wars to your gaming group's needs within their basic design philosophy of fast and tactical car combat.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #9
beetle496

@baakyocalder — Are your five friends contributing money? Why should it be all up to you? How about getting one (or two) of them to sign up for Single Ace?
Quote:
Originally Posted by baakyocalder View Post
Rules Pack + Red/Yellow or Green/Blue is $65. 2nd core game is $75. Probably better for a second core game, to expand the number of players, though you don't get the extras again on the same pledge.
Yes, exactly. $10 more (than you are already planning to spend) for a bunch more kit. Also, what if one night you are down a couple of players? Would you not like having the option to run four teams of two?

Last edited by beetle496; 12-29-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #10
baakyocalder

My pledge selections work for me. I don't want to derail the thread anymore with analysis, though I appreciate the input.

There are many good values--for the OP the Double Ace and then purchasing the Miniatures Set 2 and Miniatures Set 4 is the best option to have all the cars and all the cards.