Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #21
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [4e] Mage and (non-lethal) figting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Ah yeah Ill look at those calculations again, probably messed something up there. The GM's girl friend is already after me on the long hair part but making it longer and as an advantage has it even pricier than before and its already pricey as allhell.

Any suggestion on how animate it? I open for any suggestions here, that would be such a cool thing.
If it's bought as an Innate Attack instead, it's just a feature that it's made of hair.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #22
Jose

Well it seems this rules the hairy option out, Otaku has a point its too much for a reach 1 its just not worth it. So its the good old fashioned mage with staff and such it seems.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #23
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Well it seems this rules the hairy option out, Otaku has a point its too much for a reach 1 its just not worth it. So its the good old fashioned mage with staff and such it seems.
Buy it as a Reach 1 Innate Attack instead of that clunky Extra Arm build. You can even justify using Feature: Based on Thaumatology instead of a DX-based skill.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #24
Otaku

So I guess I'll try not to "rant" this time, though as I didn't think I ranted last time (I was lengthy, but if I seemed angry then it means I failed at formatting) I'm not sure I can. =P

Quote:
Using Stretching would allow for a substantially longer reach, which is why I included it as a suggestion. If you can't take Reduced Time alongside it (and I'm not sure if that is a legal Enhancement for Stretching) it just takes a second per +1 or -1 Size Modifier change in your hair, until you hit an SM equal to your levels of Stretching (or get back down to your default length).

You're probably right that it is still too much, but five levels of Stretching (especially if you can't get any Enhancements for it) will run 24 points. If the GM okays walking around with your hair already stretched out, you'll have a range of 0 to 5 with it. You also might want to simplify. Ask the GM if it is okay for you to eventually buy variations on how the hair works later and just focus on buying the first version (where the hair works as one giant arm).

In the long run it might be worth it... but if possible see if you the GM will allow you to create a spell that allows your hair to function as an extra arm and hand. Unless they cut it for 4e, "stretching" is already a spell. With this route, there is no worries about severed hair healing or the like (I doubt they got rid of the Body Control spell that sped up hair growth). Essentially you could use this to take a flat -2 (for spells Active) in lieu of real distance penalties (by using the two spells to reach out and touch people with your hair).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Buy it as a Reach 1 Innate Attack instead of that clunky Extra Arm build. You can even justify using Feature: Based on Thaumatology instead of a DX-based skill.
How does that work? If it is still reach one, why bother when you could just walk around with a staff enchanted with Staff so that you can cancel up to two hexes of distance. Or did I stupidly miss where Jose explained how he was indeed attacking for damage with the hair. >.>
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #25
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
How does that work? If it is still reach one, why bother when you could just walk around with a staff enchanted with Staff so that you can cancel up to two hexes of distance. Or did I stupidly miss where Jose explained how he was indeed attacking for damage with the hair. >.>
If it's based on Thaumatology instead of Staff skill, this gives our mage a decent Parry, with no fear of breaking an enchanted staff. It's also valid as an AA set with Binding, Constriction, Reach 1-4 whip hair, etc.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #26
Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
So I guess I'll try not to "rant" this time, though as I didn't think I ranted last time (I was lengthy, but if I seemed angry then it means I failed at formatting) I'm not sure I can. =P

Using Stretching would allow for a substantially longer reach, which is why I included it as a suggestion. If you can't take Reduced Time alongside it (and I'm not sure if that is a legal Enhancement for Stretching) it just takes a second per +1 or -1 Size Modifier change in your hair, until you hit an SM equal to your levels of Stretching (or get back down to your default length).

You're probably right that it is still too much, but five levels of Stretching (especially if you can't get any Enhancements for it) will run 24 points. If the GM okays walking around with your hair already stretched out, you'll have a range of 0 to 5 with it. You also might want to simplify. Ask the GM if it is okay for you to eventually buy variations on how the hair works later and just focus on buying the first version (where the hair works as one giant arm).

In the long run it might be worth it... but if possible see if you the GM will allow you to create a spell that allows your hair to function as an extra arm and hand. Unless they cut it for 4e, "stretching" is already a spell. With this route, there is no worries about severed hair healing or the like (I doubt they got rid of the Body Control spell that sped up hair growth). Essentially you could use this to take a flat -2 (for spells Active) in lieu of real distance penalties (by using the two spells to reach out and touch people with your hair).

It wasnt meant as you being angry its just that it was really long so adding the full quote in would just bloat the post too much in consideration that my reply was relatively short. Its more that I didnt say it right.

And yeah the hair growth is still there although my witch would still feel bad about it if it got cut off as she just thinks its wrong to cut her hair(She really hates summer... She has 5ft of hair, it gets really hot during summer and she spends time at the campfire picking leaves out from her hair...). Doing some big trick like that is a character in and off itself in pathfinder IRC. So being able to do it would be really cool but as you mention a staff is simply better.

What Im thinking now is buying up spells here and there and simply rushing into magery and HT.
She needs HT to not fall asleep at the start of encounters or whatever and magery is simply so worth it for her, it makes all her spells better.
Her social skills are already really good. So Im not that worried about them and buying up some IQ later still does wonders for her.
10 more pts in magery and all her spells start at 16, thats rather powerful.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #27
Nereidalbel

Quote:
What Im thinking now is buying up spells here and there and simply rushing into magery and HT.
She needs HT to not fall asleep at the start of encounters or whatever and magery is simply so worth it for her, it makes all her spells better.
Her social skills are already really good. So Im not that worried about them and buying up some IQ later still does wonders for her.
10 more pts in magery and all her spells start at 16, thats rather powerful.
Energy Reserve is much cheaper than more HT, and can even recover in combat!
Old 10-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #28
Jose

Quote:
Energy Reserve is much cheaper than more HT, and can even recover in combat!
In all other cases yeah they'd be better but in this case her narcolepsy requires a roll against HT at the start of combat or when she is excited, a failure and she falls to sleep for a couple of minutes. It has on a couple of occasions been used as an excuse for me to make dinner while they did the encounter.
Later ER is probably better but I want her to have better odds first.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #29
Nereidalbel

Quote:
In all other cases yeah they'd be better but in this case her narcolepsy requires a roll against HT at the start of combat or when she is excited, a failure and she falls to sleep for a couple of minutes. It has on a couple of occasions been used as an excuse for me to make dinner while they did the encounter.
Later ER is probably better but I want her to have better odds first.
You have Cure Disease 16; perfect reason to buy off the Narcolepsy! Yes, it's technically a disease, even if it's not contagious.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #30
Otaku

Quote:
You have Cure Disease 16; perfect reason to buy off the Narcolepsy! Yes, it's technically a disease, even if it's not contagious.
I thought he really wanted her to have the condition though, much like he really wants her to have the five foot long hair even without the "hair as tentacles" trick but still with the upkeep. Though there are some spells that can help with grooming, or at least there were in 3e (sorry to keep doing that, but I never got GURPS Magic for 4e but still have my copies of GURPS Magic for 3e as well as GURPS Grimoire).
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low-tech, magic