Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 01-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #791
Phil Masters

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

I can't remember the last time that SJGames formally cancelled a project. I can, however, remember a long list of projects that I know reached various stages and then just didn't happen.

Hypothetically, I guess that any of them still might. I'm sure that Hot Lead will be a great little wargame.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #792
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeMonster View Post
Do we really have to wait 11 more months for Car Wars 6e?
Yes. We refuse to rush the project.

Scott and I played again today and it was close. Very close. (I managed to win. Whew!)
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #793
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
And yet the upcoming 30th anniversary of GURPS didn't even get a mention, crowded out by the Munchkin and Car Wars anniversaries.
I presume you were hoping for a mention of it in the report?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #794
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
The problem of not getting enough orders for GURPS print books is one for the sales and marketing people.
Hmmmmm...

Indigo (the largest bookstore chain in Canada) has a ridiculous number of Pathfinder books in stock. They have Mecha Vs Kaiju: A Science Fiction Anime Roleplaying Game for Fate Core. They have a few each of Call of Cthulhu and Dungeons and Dragons books. They have something called Magic Frontiers Roleplaying Game, which I've never heard of before today. They even have Mouse Guard. I think it's safe to say that they have at least a clue about tabletop roleplaying games. However, GURPS accounts for zero out of 79 roleplaying titles in their store.

WHSmith (the largest bookstore chain in the UK, IIRC): GURPS accounts for 11 out of 860 roleplaying titles.

I think I see a pair of sales and marketing opportunities.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #795
JamRham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeMonster View Post
Do we really have to wait 11 more months for Car Wars 6e?
On the other hand, they wish to begin the printing process before July 2nd, meaning that the Kickstarter will be online somewhat soon I guess. The next months will be very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Considering the expectations of many fans and customers, this is a good idea. I can't wait to back it on KS. Thanks for all your efforts. :)
JamRham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:39 PM   #796
MazeMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post

Scott and I played again today and it was close. Very close. (I managed to win. Whew!)
Well played. :) OK, I can wait.
MazeMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:31 PM   #797
xlyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Hmmmmm...

Indigo (the largest bookstore chain in Canada) has a ridiculous number of Pathfinder books in stock. They have Mecha Vs Kaiju: A Science Fiction Anime Roleplaying Game for Fate Core. They have a few each of Call of Cthulhu and Dungeons and Dragons books. They have something called Magic Frontiers Roleplaying Game, which I've never heard of before today. They even have Mouse Guard. I think it's safe to say that they have at least a clue about tabletop roleplaying games. However, GURPS accounts for zero out of 79 roleplaying titles in their store.

WHSmith (the largest bookstore chain in the UK, IIRC): GURPS accounts for 11 out of 860 roleplaying titles.

I think I see a pair of sales and marketing opportunities.
My FLGS has 2 rows of GURPS books, some are 4th Ed, and some are 3rd Ed. The store does not push any RPG games, but they have a Pathfinder game on their schedule, run by someone willing to expend effort to run it. I think players that love the game need to step up and demo GURPS, it is the only way to do it. What I am saying is if you, as a player, want GURPS to succeed, it is on you, not the store to help it succeed, as Pathfinder/WotC games are easier to get organised and run.

I have no idea what Indigo and McNally Robinson have for GURPS, I have not been in Indigo in 5 years, although I will check McNally next time I am there.

John, will buy the Discworld GURPS RPG, just cause he loves Discworld

PS
Last time I posted on this thread was in 2006, yikes!
xlyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:34 AM   #798
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlyce View Post
My FLGS has 2 rows of GURPS books, some are 4th Ed, and some are 3rd Ed.
Frankly, that sounds like a worrying example of games store management. I like to see GURPS stuff on the shelves, don't get me wrong, but those 3e books must be over ten years old, and were all put on sale in numerous places at discount prices to clear stock almost as long ago. That shop is clogging up its shelves with stuff that clearly hasn't got a prayer of selling any more.

With "friends" as clueless about business as that, GURPS doesn't need enemies. I have a nasty feeling that it's one of the shops that won't order many copies of Discworld or Mars Attacks, because "we already have lots of GURPS stuff in the shop".
Old 01-15-2016, 03:20 AM   #799
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Frankly, that sounds like a worrying example of games store management. I like to see GURPS stuff on the shelves, don't get me wrong, but those 3e books must be over ten years old, and were all put on sale in numerous places at discount prices to clear stock almost as long ago. That shop is clogging up its shelves with stuff that clearly hasn't got a prayer of selling any more.

With "friends" as clueless about business as that, GURPS doesn't need enemies. I have a nasty feeling that it's one of the shops that won't order many copies of Discworld or Mars Attacks, because "we already have lots of GURPS stuff in the shop".
I make a special point of buying 3E books when I find them if I can possibly afford them, precisely because so many people think they aren't worth stocking anymore — when the books themselves are still quite good and largely compatible with 4E. So does everyone in my current gaming group, and about half the people in other groups I've played GURPS with. Don't think 3E hasn't got a prayer of selling anymore.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:30 AM   #800
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Don't think 3E hasn't got a prayer of selling anymore.
If those books still have a meaningful chance of selling in that place, why are they still on that shelf after ten years?