Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 06-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #101
GMsShadow

Default Re: GCA and Dungeon Fantasy RPG

Hi

I've just been using the most recent file to make a DFRPG Knight, but when I try to apply the weapon master and weapon bond bonus I can't get them on the modifiers list. If I load the basic set I get the WM mods but I still can't find the weapon bond ones (also the weapon quality mods aren't there without the basic set loaded).

So, I guess my question is am I supposed to load the basic set file which was my mistake, and am I just being a bit dumb and missing where I apply the weapon bond modifiers?

I hope that makes sense.

In case it's not obvious I'm new to GCA so I'm still learning.

Barry
GMsShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #102
GalaCollie77

I have created a magical modifiers data file for weapons, armor and shield from the adventurers and exploits books. You be able to get it at the following link:

Dungeon Fantasy RPG - Modifier Addendum data file

If the link doesn't work, let me know.

Last edited by GalaCollie77; 06-29-2022 at 08:27 PM. Reason: updated link to flie
GalaCollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #103
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMsShadow View Post
Hi

I've just been using the most recent file to make a DFRPG Knight, but when I try to apply the weapon master and weapon bond bonus I can't get them on the modifiers list. If I load the basic set I get the WM mods but I still can't find the weapon bond ones (also the weapon quality mods aren't there without the basic set loaded).

So, I guess my question is am I supposed to load the basic set file which was my mistake, and am I just being a bit dumb and missing where I apply the weapon bond modifiers?

I hope that makes sense.

In case it's not obvious I'm new to GCA so I'm still learning.

Barry
The Dungeon Fantasy RPG.gdf is meant to work without loading the Basic Set file, so if it doesn't, that's a bug.

It looks like those modifiers are in there, but are in a group that weapons in the current equipment list don't actually reference, and they're not in a global modifiers group, so they can't be pulled in automatically.

So, a bug in the file.

The easiest fix is to change the <Weapon> modifier group to <_Weapon> so that GCA will see it as a globally applicable group, and make it available to all the things through the drop-down.

So, that's what I've done for now.

You can make the change yourself or download the new Dungeon Fantasy RPG.gdf file from my OneDrive here.

You'll have to load this new file, then any existing characters will need to resync their Equipment (and the stuff on the left side of the dialog).

Once that's done, in the Modifiers dialog, you should see _Weapon in the drop-down list, and that's where the _Advantage: Weapon Master Damage Bonus and _Perk: Weapon Bond modifiers will appear.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #104
GMsShadow

That's perfect Admin. Thank you for fixing it so promptly, I really appreciate it.
GMsShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #105
Chris_0369

Hey All,
Found this thread today about Dungeon Fantasy RPG. Added the files to (what I hope was the right directory) and loaded GCA. That is always something that is missing; a file path of where to copy the files to. Anywho, it asked me if I wanted to choose the data files to load. Went ahead and did that but then came with the warning that Dungeon Frantasy RPG.gdf was taboo to GURPS Basic Set 4th Ed.--Characters.gdf, so I clicked the load anyway box and then OK. Well, I have been waiting for GCA to finish loading the new data set for over 5 minutes now. Anyone else experience this problem? If so, how were you able to work around it?

***Edit*** Took a while to load. But it finally did.

Last edited by Chris_0369; 07-20-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Chris_0369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:04 PM   #106
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_0369 View Post
Hey All,
Found this thread today about Dungeon Fantasy RPG. Added the files to (what I hope was the right directory) and loaded GCA. That is always something that is missing; a file path of where to copy the files to. Anywho, it asked me if I wanted to choose the data files to load. Went ahead and did that but then came with the warning that Dungeon Frantasy RPG.gdf was taboo to GURPS Basic Set 4th Ed.--Characters.gdf, so I clicked the load anyway box and then OK. Well, I have been waiting for GCA to finish loading the new data set for over 5 minutes now. Anyone else experience this problem? If so, how were you able to work around it?

"Taboo" means you are not supposed to load those files at the same time, as they both modify the same data in conflicting ways.

This might also cause problems for GCA4 in loading said data.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:26 AM   #107
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
"Taboo" means you are not supposed to load those files at the same time, as they both modify the same data in conflicting ways.
This.

Quote:
Added the files to (what I hope was the right directory) and loaded GCA. That is always something that is missing; a file path of where to copy the files to.
User data files, which should usually include any that you download yourself, would normally go into your \Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 4\data files\ folder. (If you changed the folder in Options, you'd use the changed folder instead.) You could manually place it into the system version of that folder inside Program Files, but GCA tends to manage that itself, so it's not recommended.

Quote:
Well, I have been waiting for GCA to finish loading the new data set for over 5 minutes now. Anyone else experience this problem? If so, how were you able to work around it?

Some machines take a really long time to finalize the loading process, and to create the FastLoad files. I don't know why they take so long, but they do. Thankfully, unless you change files a lot, you don't have to sit through the process all that often.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:18 PM   #108
Chris_0369

Armin,
Thank you. I tend to have the problem of run the wizard and stuff goes where the installer tells it to. I have poked around in GCA a few times over the years. But nothing heavy and have allowed my computer skills to atrophy over the years. Probably does not help that I have not been able to find a group since coming back to my home in Washington.

Say, it isn't that bad!,
Thank you. I will have to play around with it some more to see if I get any issues. Though that may be some time down the road.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:09 AM   #109
Darkclaw

Hi folks,

I recently started using Foundry VTT, so I've come back to GCA and the Dungeon Fantasy RPG files, but I've run into a few issues.

The first one I figured out and fixed in my file, but thought I would pass it along for others—for the Melee Weapon Table listings, the file wasn't updating the damage type appropriately for Sharp Claws and Sharp Teeth. This is because it is looking for "AD:Claws (Sharp Claws)" and "AD:Teeth (Sharp Teeth)", when the traits in the DFRPG are just called Sharp Claws and Sharp Teeth. An easy enough fix with a bit of find-replace.

However, I'm stuck on the next two, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

First, the Cleric. After adding the template, I get the red P, and when I do the needs check it wants Power Investiture 3...which the character already has. Something someplace isn't flagged correctly, but I really can't figure out what it is.

Next, and somewhat similarly, the Druid. I'm also getting needs() issues here, related to Power Investiture (Druidic). The skills Esoteric Medicine (Druidic) and Herb Lore both say they need it, though it's already present. This, then (I think) makes the Template not count the Skills as taken, so I get needs "SK:Esoteric Medicine (Druidic)>=4pts, SK:Herb Lore>=4pts".

(Also, ":%spellsaliaslist%>=1pts", but I think that one is just a typo, there's no actual spellsaliaslist in the Druid template).

Anyone have any clues? I've run out of brainpower trying to figure it out...
Old 06-17-2021, 10:48 AM   #110
Armin
GCA Prime

Hi there. Sorry for the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkclaw View Post
Anyone have any clues? I've run out of brainpower trying to figure it out...
These are related to some esoteric bits of GCA that help to ensure that various similar things aren't counted as the same for different applications, which is handled through the ident() and countasneed() tags. In this case, we have some missing or incorrect ident() tags, which means certain traits were not properly identifying themselves as being Druidic or Clerical.

I think I've found all the cases applying to your specific situation. If you see others in the future, please let me know.

You can fix your issues like so (I'll include corrected copies for the data file, below):

The skills Esoteric Medicine (Druidic) and Herb Lore both require the addition of the ident(Druidic) tag.

The Druid template includes a rogue %spellsaliaslist% at the end of the adds(), so that just needs to be deleted.

The Cleric template needs ident(Holy) changed to ident(Clerical).

Again, sorry about that.