Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
b-dog

Default Re: Spiritual Hit Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Active Defenses work in Celestial and Ethereal combat. It's pretty much like normal combat except in a different "realm".
I was looking more at something like when a PC hears a demon howl then they have to restist or take some Spiritual Hit Point damage. I think GURPS In Nomine is more like the PC is in a different plane of existance.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #22
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I was looking more at something like when a PC hears a demon howl then they have to restist or take some Spiritual Hit Point damage. I think GURPS In Nomine is more like the PC is in a different plane of existance.
Yes, that's true, or in a celestial form it could happen in the corporeal plane. Still, the way they handle the "mind hits" and "soul hits", and the attributes used, the effects of losses to these other HP pools, might be useful to you if this is the kind of thing you're seeking to do in your game.

You might also find the section Duel of the Mind (Supers, p. 126) interesting. Again, this is combat in another "realm" (a shared psychic arena of sorts), but there are some interesting takes on mental HP and how conflicts like this can go off. Not exactly what you're looking to do, but it's somewhat adjacent as well.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #23
b-dog

I don't have GURPS In Nomine or GURPS Supers. Which would be more useful?
Old 09-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Supers unless you want to play In Nomine with 3rd edition GURPS.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #25
b-dog

How xoes Duel of the Mind function with GURPS Supers?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #26
Jerander

Quote:
I was looking more at something like when a PC hears a demon howl then they have to restist or take some Spiritual Hit Point damage.
This is sounding more and more like the Wisdom discussion, earlier. GURPS does this. I just doesn't have a Spiritual HP system.

Demon Howl could be Terror with a Follow-up Corruption attack. Or a Follow-up Affliction that results in Susceptible to Demonic Influences.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #27
kirbwarrior

Quote:
If they can resist this ability, then Affliction works as is, with Cumulative and whatever is being added on. If they can't (and it's some attack they must dodge or similar, say a blade made of Soul Energy), then there needs to be a tank (such as FP, HP, etc) that the injury can decrease. I've done the latter as Soul HP in the past, and any damage decreases Will the same amount (and is based on Will, not being able to buy up or down). Even if nothing else, the demon can now directly attack someone's Will, and then use will-based abilities once their Will is low enough (of course, the attacks might require Ignores DR, which is an issue for demon PCs...)
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #28
DangerousThing

Quote:
I think that GURPS Horror would be much more useful to you just for the corruption mechanism as well as various monsters.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #29
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Actually, if you want them to be hit points....

Toxic innate attack, no wounding -50% (but keep track of damage), Symptoms:
2/3 hp -4 will (+20%) 1/3 hp -2 will (+30%) (total 0%) [5/die]

Make it an alternate to an affliction, or just use powers as defaults and let these attacks be used on anything that would make sense.

This form of attack is then declared to have common or occasional frequency, allowing defenses to it to be purchased at a not too large discount (-40% or -60% as opposed to -80%), including hitpoints.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #30
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Toxic innate attack, no wounding -50% (but keep track of damage), Symptoms:
2/3 hp -4 will (+20%) 1/3 hp -2 will (+30%) (total 0%) [5/die]
This is a discussion that's come up before, whether it's valid to combine No Wounding with Symptom. No Wounding + Side Effects are fine, since those are based on the damage from that single attack, but Symptom is based on accumulated damage. The option I'm in favor of is a "Virtual Damage" limitation of around -30%, which deals no injury but is tracked for the purpose of Symptoms.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
symptoms, virtual hit points