Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2022, 07:06 PM   #551
David Johnston2

Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

Atari is a world where the internet as such and the personal computing revolution never happened. Instead of the internet and PCs there are a fragmented landscape of organizational intranets with remote terminals connecting to proprietary mainframes. It's a mess.

But because it's a mess, console gaming is even bigger than on Homeline. There was no computer game crash in the 80s and Atari is still the biggest dog in gaming. The result is dozens of triple-A games that exist nowhere else.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:32 PM   #552
PTTG

Don't forget the consoles themselves. Highly specialized and proprietary, anyone who wants access to their game libraries needs to get an imported Atari console.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:38 PM   #553
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
Don't forget the consoles themselves. Highly specialized and proprietary, anyone who wants access to their game libraries needs to get an imported Atari console.
Alternatively, Homeline could make emulators for them, since those exist anyway.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:45 AM   #554
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Reality Bethesda (named for the biblical healing well) is profoundly advanced in medicine and all techniques of healing. This Q5 world is treated as neutral territory by both Homeline and the Cabal.
Good one, and definitely a missed issue for Infinite Worlds. We get some material about medical assistance in the other direction, but given all the magical worldlines with amazing treatments, there [has] to be huge pressure to open these to an influx of patients so large it couldn't help but blow the secret. And people with sufficiently horrible or terminal conditions (or loved ones that might be ressurrected!) will do quite extreme things in pursuit of even unlikely treatments, never mind stuff that actually works. How [does] Infinity keep a lid on that?
Old 12-05-2022, 07:14 AM   #555
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Alternatively, Homeline could make emulators for them, since those exist anyway.
Sure, the really old ones... the new ones would be unique.

I bet they just leverage homeline's wealth advantage.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:12 PM   #556
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
OK, poorly phrased on my part: 'Emulators exist in real life, so the idea of making them could plausibly occur to people on Homeline.'

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:29 PM   #557
malloyd

Quote:
OK, poorly phrased on my part: 'Emulators exist in real life, so the idea of making them could plausibly occur to people on Homeline.'
They're baked into the entire concept of computer science - from the concept of computers as approximately emulating a Turing machine to the idea of compilers for taking code from something that would run on a particular ideal machine to something that will run on your actual bit of hardware.

I suppose some timeline could invent computers without the concept, but the lack of high level languages or the ability to port anything to new hardware would seem to limit development pretty seriously.
Old 12-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #558
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

I bet they just leverage homeline's wealth advantage.
Well, assuming that Atari world consoles can't be brute forced by crazy advanced homeline PCs. Though I suppose that Homeline copyright law would get up in arms about that, or Atari world consoles could have tons of low level features that effectively make the console difficult to emulate.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:10 PM   #559
David Johnston2

Quote:
Atari of course has elaborate anti-piracy measures. Defeatable but it means that just getting an Atari console will give you access to the games that nobody has bothered to crack yet.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 02:31 AM   #560
Astromancer

Gaulia

The Myth world of Gaulia seems to be linked to French literary Faerie Tales of the 17th and 18th centuries. What makes this myth world valuable is that one of its miracles works off plane.

The Fountain of Lions is a magical healing well much like the Well of the Water of Life or Tubber Tine, the Burning Well. Normally this type of magic doesn't work away from the parallel of origin. However, the water of The Fountain of Lions works on any parallel were stories about The Fountain of Lions have been written by the locals. How well it works varies according to how widespread the stories are.

Currently, research is being done to see if other magical fountains have similar or related traits.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds