Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

View Poll Results: When did you first play TFT?
1970s 59 59.60%
1980s 24 24.24%
1990s 0 0%
2000s 4 4.04%
2010s 1 1.01%
Haven't played yet 11 11.11%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2018, 11:23 PM   #51
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: When did you first play TFT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein View Post
...As those who follow such things know, way back in the early 80s, Guy McLimore, Dave Tepool and I formed a design company called Fantasimulations Associates...
By my highly developed powers of deductive reasoning, I can only surmise that you must be, none other than: Greg Poehlein.

Fantastically wonderful to know you are aboard with us Greg; Welcome! Welcome!

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 08-19-2018 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:26 AM   #52
aebrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
I bought Advanced Mêlée, Advanced Wizard, and In the Labyrinth at Napoleon's Military Bookshop in Sydney in 1982, and ran campaigns at UNSW in 1982 and 1983.
In the Blue Room? I was playing TFT there in 1981, before graduation, work, marriage, moving to Canberra etc got in the way.
aebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #53
DarkPumpkin

...and still zero people who discovered TFT in the 90s. Truly dark times! Out of print, no world wide web to speak of to establish contact with other fans, and the game did not yet have a "classic status", just "old".
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #54
stefanj

Hey Greg!

(I use the same handle on Ye Olde Rocketry Forum.)

Yeah, collation parties; I used to help out at FGI when they got a new game in. But never had to do it the day before at a convention!
Old 08-22-2018, 08:58 PM   #55
Helborn

1978 in Portland, OR

Good times. We had a teacher, two office moles, a priest, and several D&D players that would join for a session or two when their game wasn't on.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #56
ULFGARD

I haven't played it yet. I've clearly been caught up in the hype, as I've backed the project at the "I want it all" level, and I'm extremely excited to get my hands on it.

I'm also betting my girls will enjoy this. They'll be 7 & 8 next year, and I think this sounds like a good introduction to a more rules-based RPG experience. (I've been running a GURPS Ultra-Lite game for them, which was more about having some vague restrictions to get us beyond the "I hit" - "Nuh-uh" stage of things.)

One thing I'm curious about:

When do you think it'll actually be out? I'm skeptical of the March 2019 expected release date, especially with all of these (wonderful) add-ons and stretch goals. Likewise the October PDF release date.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #57
ULFGARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
January or February of 1985. A buddy of mine, Dan Henschel, had Melee, and we had a windstorm so bad it nearly killed the school-bus and occupants thereof. So we found ourselves with a week off school due to weathher. (Eagle River, Alaska - it was wind and rain over extant cold-soaked ground with ice.) So I skated over to Dan's, about 2 blocks, and we played Melee and SFB. I found it a few weeks later at The Book Cache (a "local" chain of bookstores in Alaska; by 1990, they were sold to a canadian company) on 4th Ave. (about 500 or 600 block. No longer there.)

Anyway, TBC had copies of Wizard, Melee, and a bunch of the adventures. I bought, typically, one a week. It took a couple weeks to save up for Dragons of Underearth and Lords of Underearth.

Spenard Hobby had Advanced Wizard, Advanced Melee, and the FMC. I got those on a buying binge in 1988. (Spenard Hobby, in that incarnation, was dusty, stacked to the rafters, narrow aisles, and chock full of all kinds of hidden goodies. The location is now Plato's Closet - Spenard and Northern Lights. And it had no art supplies that weren't for minis, trains, or modelwork - for real art, they sent you two blocks away to Blaine's - which is still present, according to Google Maps. Note that Bosco's was 2 blocks away, and started a price war on games... killing Spenard Hobby.)

I played mostly solo. I did run some short campaigns, 3-4 adventures, with certain friends. Dan and I stopped playing Melee before I could acquire a copy of In the Labyrinth. I eventually bought a copy of ITL from a friend. Complete with errata penciled in obsessively. (If he wants to out himself, I'll leave it to him. He's on the boards here, tho'.)

In the late 90's I ran a 2 month campaign with 4 hour sessions. In the Early 2000's, I ran a 3 player game with Gargoyles, 5 hour sessions. We transitioned to GURPS for IOU, with the same characters, but it flopped. GURPS just wasn't good for doing Gargoyle humor.
Wow, this all takes me back. You must've been stomping the same grounds as me, though I came in late enough that I bought GURPS, rather than TFT, down in Spenard.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #58
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
Wow, this all takes me back. You must've been stomping the same grounds as me, though I came in late enough that I bought GURPS, rather than TFT, down in Spenard.
I didn't leave Alaska until this decade, so, yeah. Remember the Bosco's Price War? The Spen'obby closing sale? The staff of Spen'obby creating Games People Play in UC? (UC is now part of the University of Alaska... still has a few stores, but is mostly business classes.)

For those not in the know Spen'obby was carved into a planter outside Spenard Hobby. For many years. As for the potential overlap... Anchorage was (and still is) a city of 350K people...
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:42 PM   #59
blacksmith61

Started in 1977 when Melee first came out. We played it (and Wizard) a lot, even during lunch hour at high school (along with Ogre).

I have to say we enjoyed an awful lot of Steve Jackson gaming goodness during the 70s and 80s especially Ogre/GEV, Melee/Wizard, Illuminati, and Car Wars!

Unfortunately, by the time ITL came out, we had moved on to other things and we never got a chance to play it.

Happy to be on-board for this relaunch!

Many thanks!

Rob
blacksmith61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #60
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

I first heard of TFT from the Metagaming ads in Analog magazine in 1977, but that was before I was into gaming, so I didn't quite get it.

I bought a copy of Melee in the summer of 1978 at Games Workshop in Hammersmith, London during an epic spate of game purchasing while on vacation in the UK. One of the store clerks recommended it as something to spend my last pound or two on (the same visit including my acquisition of Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Eldritch Wizardry, First Fantasy Campaign, White Dwarf 6-8, and the Monster Manual, all to supplement my recent discovery of Basic D&D).

I played it soon afterward, I think while I still on vacation.