Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2020, 07:11 PM   #1
clu2415

Default Duplication between DFRPG and other books

I知 gearing up to run a Dungeon Fantasy hexcrawl and I知 planning to get the boxed set. I知 looking through other supplements and wondering if any get mostly duplicated in the boxed set.

Conversely, what 2-3 supplements would you pick up to augment the boxed set? I致e read that DF16 Wilderness Adventures is chock full of good stuff for a hexcrawl.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:16 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Duplication between DFRPG and other books

The boxed set is mostly a trimmed down version of Basic and Magic with a lot of things buried under the hood so abilities are prebuilt and the details hidden for simplicity.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
tbone

DFRPG pretty much covers whatever you might need from GURPS Basic and Magic, so there's no big need to get those. I believe it takes some bits from Low-Tech and Martial Arts, too, though those big books still contain a lot more you might want to borrow.

The most useful additions will probably be Dungeon Fantasy supplements. Wilderness Adventures has so much useful adventuring stuff, and The Next Level is also great for its PC races.

Beyond that, though, it's really just a matter of looking at the titles and asking which are topics that interest you. I personally really like Henchmen for hirelings and other quick NPCs; I also think the Taverns book is surprisingly useful, for its locations and all its little extras (NPCs, fantastical pub grub, etc.).

Also: While there's no particular supplement for town adventures (outside of worked examples like Caverntown), Guilds gives the GM a lot to work with.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:17 PM   #4
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

One of the last Pyramids (DFRPG 2, in the 110s) had designer notes, part of which is on the topic.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:27 AM   #5
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
I知 looking through other supplements and wondering if any get mostly duplicated in the boxed set.
The DFRPG set is intended to be complete and includes those portions of the Basic set and Magic needed to play, as well as all the material from Dungeon Fantasy 1 & 2, some from 3, none of 4-10, little bits of 11, none of 12, 14-16. It is significantly incompatible with DF 13, and a tiny bit with 8, because it updates the armor stats.

* "all" and "none" are not perfect absolutes.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:46 AM   #6
clu2415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
The DFRPG set is intended to be complete and includes those portions of the Basic set and Magic needed to play, as well as all the material from Dungeon Fantasy 1 & 2, some from 3, none of 4-10, little bits of 11, none of 12, 14-16. It is significantly incompatible with DF 13, and a tiny bit with 8, because it updates the armor stats.

* "all" and "none" are not perfect absolutes.
This is perfect. Thank you.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #7
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
I知 gearing up to run a Dungeon Fantasy hexcrawl and I知 planning to get the boxed set. I知 looking through other supplements and wondering if any get mostly duplicated in the boxed set.

Conversely, what 2-3 supplements would you pick up to augment the boxed set? I致e read that DF16 Wilderness Adventures is chock full of good stuff for a hexcrawl.
Points for running a hexcrawl!

If you just want to find monsters, kill them, and take their stuff, DFRPG + DF 16 is all you need. If you want any noncombat detail whatsoever, add Action 2 - Exploits and check out Dungeon Action to cover your action fantasy hexcrawl. The latter plays much more like your typical game in That Other System.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #8
mehrkat

I strongly recommend picking through the later Dungeon Fantasy series as well as the boxed set addons..

Another suggestion might be some of the social books to add social aspects that are typically not in Dungeon Fantasy so aren't handled which much depth in Dungeon Fantasy boxed set.

Boardroom and Curia http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...room-and-curia -- creating organizations

City Stats http://www.warehouse23.com/products/gurps-city-stats -- system to define cities

Social Engineering series
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...al-engineering
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...back-to-school
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...ing-in-contact
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...g-pulling-rank

Last edited by mehrkat; 01-26-2020 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Adding in links
mehrkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy