Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #61
David Johnston2

Default Re: We're gonna have to rethink the TLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Still leaves us with Parthians, Sassanids and Armenians having armoured cataphracts using lances as shock weapons at what GURPS calls TL2.
But their armour was less solid.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #62
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Shrug. Call them "TL2, advanced in weapons and armor." That's why we have that concept: a lot of historical cases don't fit the official progression. A bunch of guys on horseback is nothing; the Maya and the Babylonians had arithmetic with place notation, which GURPS puts at TL3 or 4.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #63
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
I see your examples as cults that have used high TL skills such as memetics and propaganda and etc.. to thrive and survive in todays crazy religion bonanza.

A real TL8 development would be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotheology
No taxation without representation was a well known example of propaganda and distraction allowing the creation of the U.S. even though citizens of the colonies were technically paying less than those of England at the time.

When not talking about the listeners religion, most agree that many such beliefs started out as (un)intentional memetics.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #64
Icelander

Quote:
Than what?

Certainly not any cavalry we encounter before the 11th century, so not for two-thirds of what GURPS calls TL3.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #65
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Shrug. Call them "TL2, advanced in weapons and armor." That's why we have that concept: a lot of historical cases don't fit the official progression. A bunch of guys on horseback is nothing; the Maya and the Babylonians had arithmetic with place notation, which GURPS puts at TL3 or 4.
I think a just as large example is the first Australians, stone age but with good boats regardless of the exact arguable distances required to sail there.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #66
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Shrug. Call them "TL2, advanced in weapons and armor." That's why we have that concept: a lot of historical cases don't fit the official progression.
The point is, rather, that the official progression which has 600 AD as marking some sort of technological advance over the Classical world, is not representive of reality. The Classical world of Rome, Greece and the Hellenic port cities of the Eastern Med was ahead of Germanic Northern Europe in most areas of technology.

We can point out differences, but it's really hard to justify higher Starting Wealth for characters in Northern Europe from the 7th to the 10th century than for characters in the Hellenic world between the 4th century BCE to the 4th century CE, at least.

And there aren't all that many pieces of adventuring equipment where the Germanic warrior is ahead, either. As for scientists, doctors and engineers, there is no comparison.

At best, 600 AD is when the backward nations of Northern Europe achieved TL3, which had been achieved long ago elsewhere.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:33 PM   #67
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Than what?

Certainly not any cavalry we encounter before the 11th century, so not for two-thirds of what GURPS calls TL3.
Well yes. The first four centuries of after the fall of the Western Roman Empire are no great shakes in Europe.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:34 PM   #68
Phantasm

Quote:
Well yes. The first four centuries of after the fall of the Western Roman Empire are no great shakes in Europe.
This is true. That period was essentially dominated by the Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire and the Muslim Caliphates of the Middle East.

I've actually had to point those out to someone who insisted that the period of 600 to 1000 AD (the so-called Dark Ages) "didn't happen". (The guy looked at me and said "who?". *facepalm*) Sadly, an all too common result of "World History" classes teaching a horribly Western-Eurocentric curriculum after Alexander's time.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:52 PM   #69
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I believe DanHoward said that Charlemagne's cavalry weren't required to wear armor. I would say that heavy cavalry involves using lances as shock weapons.
The term has nothing to do with their equipment - it is related to their role. A naked man with a spear and shield standing in a shieldwall is classed as "heavy infantry". A knight in full plate who acts as a skirmisher is classed as "light cavalry".

Carolingan churches and monasteries stored arms and armour. They were forbidden to issue them to anyone but a direct vassal without permission. Most cavalry had no armour. There is a letter instructing an abbot called Fulrad to raise troops and meet at Stassfurt on June 17. The horsemen are to be equipped with "shield and spear, long-sword and short-sword, bow, quivers and arrows." No mention of armour.

The Capitulare missorum says that only vassals with property to the value of twelve or more mansi were required to have armour.

Last edited by DanHoward; 02-14-2015 at 12:05 AM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:02 AM   #70
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Carolingan churches and monasteries stored arms and armour. They were forbidden to issue them to anyone but a direct vassal without permission. Most cavalry had no armour. There is a letter instructing an abbot called Fulrad to raise troops and meet at Stassfurt on June 17. The horsemen are to be equipped with "shield and spear, long-sword and short-sword, bow, quivers and arrows." No mention of armour.
According to Swedish landskapslaws (11th-12 century), a fighting man should have a helmet but that's the only armor that's required.

Tags
science, tech level, technology