Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-08-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
Plane

Default casting spells in humanoid animal forms

M32 (Beast Possession)

He may use his own mental abilities, but not his physical ones
(so he cannot cast spells
unless he knows them so well that they require no speech or gesture).
M33 (Shapeshifting)

gains all the physical attributes of the new form.
This means that the wearer cannot cast spells
unless he knows them so well that they can be performed without gestures!
What if you were possessing (or shapeshifted into) a species with fine manipulators such as a gorilla or chimpanzee? I would think they would be able to perform hand gestures like a human.

I'm thinking these are meant to follow similar rules, so the omission of "speech" from Shapeshifting (as in Beast Possession) is an oversight.

Parrots come to mind as at least one animal which could emulate speech however.

B263 describes "Mentality Metatraits" (a mix of mental AND physical disadvantages) of Domestic/Wild animal, in both cases containing "Cannot Speak", a -15 physical disadvantage on B125...

It says you can still take Mimicry (B210) but I'm guessing that's limited to Animal Sounds / Bird Calls and Mimicry (Speech) probably isn't allowed except for parrots, who couldn't use the standard mentality metatraits for animals since they shouldn't have Cannot Speak.

As for footwork... should bipedal species like kangaroos, or semi-bipedal species like bears, be able to do some of that? Could a mage figure out quadripedal versions of footwork?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: casting spells in humanoid animal forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
As for footwork... should bipedal species like kangaroos, or semi-bipedal species like bears, be able to do some of that? Could a mage figure out quadripedal versions of footwork?
I think that I'd allow someone possessing or shapeshifted into an agile quadruped to buy a technique or perk for four-foot-work (specialized by spell). I also think I'd let someone taking a bird's form (depending on the bird) cast vocal-only spells.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote