Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default [Mass Combat] Converting Advantages into Optional Features

Greetings, all!

I'm planning to start using Mass Combat in my current campaign, which includes many races with special Advantages (and Disadvantages). So, I'm interested in turning those Advantages into Optional Features of the Elements composed of those races. Some I know how to do, some I don't.

Here goes:
Amhphibious - use Aquatic Warriors.
Invisibility (Only In Water, Fringe) - Neutralize C3I and/or Recon, half cost (because it only works in amphibious or naval battles).
Extra Arm - ??
Terrain Adaptation and limited Amphibious - Terrain and Marine features.
Unfazeable - ??
Doesn't Eat or Drink - increased cost to raise, but reduced Maintenance/logistical cost?
Doesn't Sleep - somehow should probably increase movement rate and reduce poblems of No Security mode when stationary.
Accessory (Flashlight-equivalent eyes) - Night.
Increased Consumption (Water, ×4) - higher Maintenance/Logistical cost away from rivers/lakes?
Luck - ??
Daredevil - comparable to Impetuous?
Serendipity - ??
Modular Ability - depends on used ability, but can probably add more than one Feature at 1/5 cost, right? Choose which to use before battle/turn begins.
Enhanced Move - counts as Cavalry.
Vulnerability (Tox, ×3) - ??

Regeneration (Regular) - Some sort of TS-recovery game-mechanic, but no idea how to price/measure it.
Regrowth - ditto, should probably use same mechanic.
Unliving - Neutralize Fire, Super-Soldier.
Hard To Subdue and Delayed Death (1d+1 sec) - roll into the trait above.

So, any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
Dinadon

Default Re: [Mass Combat] Converting Advantages into Optional Features

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Extra Arm - ??
Unfazeable - ??
I'd just roll these into troop quality
Quote:
Doesn't Sleep - somehow should probably increase movement rate and reduce poblems of No Security mode when stationary.
No Security seems more to do with the ability of soldiers to stay on the alert rather than stay awake. I'd use other traits to reduce problems of No Security, or just have competent leaders.
Quote:
Luck - ??
Serendipity - ??
I'd also roll these into troop quality, and probably the hero quality, or just the super-soldier quality depending on what you're trying to represent.
Quote:
Vulnerability (Tox, ×3) - ??
I'd let this use a varient of Special Class Superiority. If one side only has vulnerabilities they wouldn't be able to claim a bonus. The max gain may also be lower (though possibly based on the vulnerability strength, X2 gives max +1, x3 gives max +2) or just change the required ratios.
Quote:
Regeneration (Regular) - Some sort of TS-recovery game-mechanic, but no idea how to price/measure it.
Regrowth - ditto, should probably use same mechanic.
Hard To Subdue and Delayed Death (1d+1 sec) - roll into the trait above.
I wouldn't do TS recovery. Instead I'd just increase their TS, and simply have those elements with Regrowth and Regen have fewer dead and minimal casulties. A competent enemy would be using his forces to either overwhelm your Regener's, or distract them.
Dinadon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Regarding Regeneration (Regular), here's some number-crunching on my part:

A winning side can usually halve the casualities. That means that half the victims are in the 1d to 2d range of injury. Supposedly, the rest are either dead, or 'merely' took more damage (probably bringing themselves at least to 0 HP).

A Regular regenerator will heal 1 HP per hour, or 1×HP per 10 hours (roughly). 24 HP per day. That's more than likely to bring most non-dead to full combatibility in a day.

That seams like a restoration of all non-dead lost TS per day. Which is probably 25% of the total casualties taken. Of course, my estimates would be wrong.

Anyway, I wonder how one would price the Optional Feature that would reduce casualties by a quarter after one day of recovery if the strike force in question either wins, or retreats together with their wounded (i.e. not on full retreats etc.)
Old 06-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
A winning side can usually halve the casualities.
Don't forget that "casualties" aren't just the injured, but also those who were forced to flee the battlefield. A great deal of casualty recovery is a matter of rounding up such people and reforming them into units.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:16 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
I'd just roll these into troop quality [ . . . ] TS
How would you like these traits to Troop Quality and/or TS?

Tags
advantages, disadvantages, mass combat, optional features