Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
Tzeentch

Default Re: The Draka Suoersoldiers in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
The altered humans. I found the third edition sheet for them with a little poking around.
These stats are ridiculous and do not fit Gwendolen Ingolfsson's capabilities in the book.

Quote:
Homo Drakensis
Base ST: 30
DX +5
IQ +7 (IQ 8 for invention and intuition)
She's strong and fast, and cunning, but she exploits her pheromone control and memorized knowledge to do most of the heavy lifting.

I would use the Herakles (GURPS Bio-Tech, p. 70) as a far more reasonable starting point.
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
jbalsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post
These stats are ridiculous and do not fit Gwendolen Ingolfsson's capabilities in the book.

She's strong and fast, and cunning, but she exploits her pheromone control and memorized knowledge to do most of the heavy lifting.

I would use the Herakles (GURPS Bio-Tech, p. 70) as a far more reasonable starting point.
Yeah, I looked at that template, and thought it was highly ridiculous. Unless this woman could lift a man one-handed without any effort and had defaults in the 9 to 11 range for all skills (to say nothing about actual trained skills), I'd say the conversion was a bit over the top. >.>
jbalsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalsle View Post
Yeah, I looked at that template, and thought it was highly ridiculous. Unless this woman could lift a man one-handed without any effort and had defaults in the 9 to 11 range for all skills (to say nothing about actual trained skills), I'd say the conversion was a bit over the top. >.>
Yeah, this is bogus. She's stronger, faster and more agile than normal humans, and her pheromone control makes her even more attractive than she seems, physically. However, I got the impression that puts her at the level of an Olympic athlete trained as a special operator, from a technologically superior civilization, and not someone who is actually super-human.

As I recall, the only non-Draka who shift to "slave-mentality" in her presence are Draka serfs, who've been genetically-engineered and socially-acculturated to do so. Also, the surrogate mother of her daughter seems to lose most of her higher brain functions, but that's because Draka fetuses alter the body-chemistry of their host mothers. Regular human beings had no problems trying to kill her -- the problem was succeeding.

But then, again, most regular humans would have trouble killing a U.S. special operator, too -- especially if he was ready for them to try, which Gwendolen was, constantly.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
During composition of the novel, I was a hanger-on at Steve Stirling's GEnie topic and some playtesting-type questions he asked suggest that Gwen has at least the strength of 3 men.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
During composition of the novel, I was a hanger-on at Steve Stirling's GEnie topic and some playtesting-type questions he asked suggest that Gwen has at least the strength of 3 men.
which means what? that she can lift 3 times as much as an average man can? thats a BL of 18, able to lift 65 lbs to their 20 each. If we want to make these strong men we can say they have ST 12 or BL of 29 lbs, and that gives a ST of 21. If we want really strong men we pick 14 each, and her ST is still around 24. If ST 30 is the strength of 10 men, these are ST 17 men: outclassing your "average" person as badly as she outclasses them.

Also, that doesn't address the crazy increase in IQ. I didn't think the super soldiers had been that extremely bred for intelligence...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
Keiko
Banned

Default Re: The Draka Supersoldiers in GURPS

Thanks to whoever fixed my stupid typo in the thread title.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
which means what? that she can lift 3 times as much as an average man can? thats a BL of 18, able to lift 65 lbs to their 20 each.
This is about right. If she was much stronger she could have reduced the body into flushable pieces instead of settling for disarticulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Also, that doesn't address the crazy increase in IQ. I didn't think the super soldiers had been that extremely bred for intelligence...
The OP was mistaken. Gwen is very smart, but that's from selection by her careers as astronaut and research director. Homo drakensis are not expected to serve as soldiers; they have Homo servus and ghouloon troopers (baboon uplifts with unbreakable bones and wired reflexes) for that. Draka are not generally born smarter, but can have upgrades that allow them to learn faster and the culture of intrigue can eliminate the less mentally agile. Plus the best get better, being first in line for full-organism regrowth as well as inorganic aids like the dermal armor.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #18
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post

She killed 22 armed drug dealers armed with only a sword on arrival so her abilities have to be pretty super.

As a Draka she should probably have Racial Destiny 15 points "The Author Is On Your Side" since the Draka always win.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #19
jbalsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
As a Draka she should probably have Racial Destiny 15 points "The Author Is On Your Side" since the Draka always win.
This. This is the thing that irritates me the most about these guys. Bad guys with author fiat behind them? Yeah....no like.

Makes me want to sic Ripped Shirt Kirk on her. First he'll make hot augment whoopie with her, then tie her up with unbreakable chains until his love-child is born, then dispose of her in a suitable fashion, and then rule the universe with the product of that unholy (or is it holy?) union. :D

That or the universe will end when the Draka Destiny meets up with Ripped Shirt Kirk....immovable object meets irresistible force and vice versa. ;)
jbalsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 AM   #20
cptbutton

Quote:
This. This is the thing that irritates me the most about these guys. Bad guys with author fiat behind them? Yeah....no like.

Makes me want to sic Ripped Shirt Kirk on her. First he'll make hot augment whoopie with her, then tie her up with unbreakable chains until his love-child is born, then dispose of her in a suitable fashion, and then rule the universe with the product of that unholy (or is it holy?) union. :D

That or the universe will end when the Draka Destiny meets up with Ripped Shirt Kirk....immovable object meets irresistible force and vice versa. ;)
I vaguely recall a plot summary for such a hypothetical ST-Drakon crossover being posted on USENET or maybe old Pyramid back when.
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supersoldiers