Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #41
Keiko
Banned

Default Re: The Draka Supersoldiers in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
DRAKON was supposed as first of a trilogy, with UNTO US A CHILD IS BORN as the working title for the second volume that followed the teenage clone/daughter of Gwen. ISTR the third was going to be the big showdown on our earth, IIRC.
I thought the second book was going to be "Draka Khan" and follow Gwen's daughter's meteoric rise a hip hop/pop star?
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #42
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
In his anthology, Drakas, he has them come into an Infinite Worlds setting, between The Alliance and The Empire. (To use the TVTropes definitions. You'd have to read the story to get more details.)

Basically, one set of universes has been expanding by having their alternate-Earths willingly joining their Alliance. And another set of universes has been expanding by enslaving alternate-Earths. And then some Alliance agents get sent to the tiny Infinite Worlds empire of the Drakon.

Which shows that the ending of Drakon may (canonicity?) not have been the ultimate defeat many perceived it to be. And that there were more than just the Samothracians who discovered The Secret.
Dropping the Draka into GURPS IW, who would be the primary candidate for (repeatedly) intervening in the Draka timeline, thus producing the even-the-worst-case-wouldn't-produce-this result?

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #43
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
Dropping the Draka into GURPS IW, who would be the primary candidate for (repeatedly) intervening in the Draka timeline, thus producing the even-the-worst-case-wouldn't-produce-this result?
The Royalist Lodge from Voodoo assuming they managed to eliminate or absorb all the other players.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #44
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
I wonder if maybe he was setting them up as the antagonists for a second set of stories about an interdimensional war, and then realized he didn't want to write about 'em, any more.
Stirling once said that the essence of the Draka stories was to write an AH dystopia, a time-line where Western history went 'as wrong as it could', and the result is the ultimate victory of the Draka.

He also once said, IIRC, that if he had it to do over, he would make the divergence point earlier, sometime in the 1600s rather than the Revolutionary War.

Last edited by Johnny1A.2; 01-23-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #45
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post
The Draka were nearly insufferable in Stone Dogs (and I liked the previous two books). Stirling deserves some criticism for how they appeared to be creepy reflections of his idea of a perfect society (yes, I read his foreword in The Domination).
Foreword? Was this in the dead trees version?

The sample page at Baen doesn't have a foreword and the table of contents doesn't show an afterword.

But I have seen at one other case where the dead tree version had supplementary material the eBook did not. One of the Belisarius omnibus volumes as I recall it.

(There is a foreword in Drakas!, though.)
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supersoldiers