Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
Anders

Default Ultra-Narrow category

If a Detect ability can detect only a single object, would it be worth less than 5 points? I'm thinking 1 point here. (This is for Sorcery spells that search for a specific object and would be handled as a Slotted Cosmic Power).

Edit: If some friendly Moderator could change the title to Ultra-Narrow Detect category, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Anders; 08-27-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #2
Lia Valenth

Default Re: Ultra-Narrow category

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
If a Detect ability can detect only a single object, would it be worth less than 5 points? I'm thinking 1 point here. (This is for Sorcery spells that search for a specific object and would be handled as a Slotted Cosmic Power).
I could see this being argued as Detect (Rare Category) (Single Target, -80%) [1]

As that Single Person accessibility is -80% from Power Ups: Limitations, I could see Single Object/Target/etc. being the same. But, if I were GM, I am not sure I would allow it. This could easily be abused without more limitations to make it harder to switch targets, such as needing objects related to the target.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #3
Anders

That may be a better way to see it. Although "Person" arguably isn't a Rare category...
Old 08-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
Lia Valenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
That may be a better way to see it. Although "Person" arguably isn't a Rare category...
True, but as this is modular and we can change the Detect entirely it would not be Detect (Humans) (Single Person: John Smith Jr, -80%) [4] it is Detect (male spell casters) (Single Person: John Smith Jr, -80%) [1].

Of course that does allow the GM some wiggle room of you having to be able to limit it down to a rare category before it works.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #5
Anders

Good point. Good point.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #6
weby

I agree with Lia.

One point for single specific item: fine ("I can detect the aura of my ancestral sword")

But as slotted ability it would be too easy to abuse, you could get the ability to detect anything, but one item at time at to be about 5 points that is way too low for such universal ability.

Only way I would allow it to be a slotted ability is either a very narrow set of detects you can slot in or a very long time or the presence of the item to switch.

Thus:
I attune to this sword I touch so I can detect it later- Fine.
I need to do an 8 hour ritual to switch the item I can detect-Fine.
I can concentrate a second and search for a given book by name-Fine.
I need to concentrate 1 second to switch to detect any one given item - Not fine.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #7
Anders

I've done it as a Rare category (Person whose True Name is known by the sorcerer).
Old 08-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #8
starslayer

I think that your proposed use kind of illustrates why you should NOT be able to do what your asking for, or at least the discount should not be that significant.

Basically, once you apply it to a modular ability (in your case sorcerous empowerment), 'detect: single' turns into 'detect: everything, but slowly'.

In which case the discount for only being able to detect a single thing should be about equal to a relatively large 'takes extra time' modifier (so no more than -40%)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #9
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Basically, once you apply it to a modular ability (in your case sorcerous empowerment), 'detect: single' turns into 'detect: everything, but slowly'.
This is really a flaw in Modular Ability pricing though, rather than in a discount to Detect. The effective discount you get for Modular (or less seriously Alternate) abilities is just too large when you allow abilities that you wouldn't normally use under time pressure or want to use at the same time.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #10
mikeejimbo

I dunno, even in a Modular Abilities slot this proposal is more limited than being able to detect anything. Since it's a specific object, the caster has to know it exists. Arguing that he has to be familiar with it - actually seen it in person at least - is probably reasonable. Even extending that to things he hasn't seen in person but knows exists probably isn't too bad. Maybe the caster can attune to the Codex Hammer even if he's never had it. But if he's searching for a rare book, but doesn't know exactly which, this ability doesn't really help him at all. Sure he could cycle through all the books he knows, but he'd have to traverse the entire area of his search, changing the book multiple times every time he gets into a new range, and if it's a book he doesn't even know about, he'll still never find it.
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, detect, sorcery