Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #11
Plane

Default Re: Telekinesis Range question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
If you want to hand off control to your subconscious mind, take Independent (+40%).
Since TK does not have a normal duration, it would operate independently as long as you wished.
P108 says:
If it requires a die roll, it lasts for minutes equal to your margin of success or its usual duration – whichever is less
It doesn't seem to be clear on how long independence lasts for things that don't require die rolls... the following paragraph though...
Its effects last for the entire duration specified above – you can’t end them early or maintain them.
Wouldn't an ongoing series of Concentrates be "maintaining" a telekinetic carry? That's the impression I got from "Telekinesis requires constant concentration to use."

As in, if at any point you stop making Concentrate maneuvers, you drop the piano? That sounds like a duration of 0 or 1 seconds. Maybe even needing "Persistent" to get a base duration of 10 seconds to allow yourself to do something other than Concentrate every now and then?

I figured it was something like casting a spell, where if someone punched you and you failed a Will-3 roll that you'd lose your concentration and drop the piano or whatever it was you were keeping aloft.

If the "usual duration" of TK was infinite then that would make Independent crazy-good (ie "I'm going to leave my gun telekinetically attached to my ceiling while I go to sleep for six hours") and make TKs all pretty much equal in their endurance, so you wouldn't have stuff like stronger TKs buying Extended Duration to allow for longer periods of Independent use.

Treating the default duration as 10 seconds (B101 bluebox) would give that versatility, and also answer stuff like if a TK without independent can keep an object aloft for a little bit if he chooses to do something other than take nothing but Concentrate maneuvers.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote