Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Astromancer

Default Sci Fi Cthulhu!

I've got Eldritch Skies I had the Chaosium Sci Fi Cthulhu settings. I had Cthulhupunk. Are there any other worthy Sci Fi Cthulhu settings/games out there. Anything that a clever GM can cannibalize?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Sci Fi Cthulhu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I've got Eldritch Skies I had the Chaosium Sci Fi Cthulhu settings. I had Cthulhupunk. Are there any other worthy Sci Fi Cthulhu settings/games out there. Anything that a clever GM can cannibalize?
Cthulutech for anime giant robots versus eldritch horrors.

Void Core for space cops versus cultists and eldritch horrors.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
whswhs

I was able to do a satisfying job of cosmic horror largely by riffing on material from Transhuman Space. Though I did steal nanomorph robots from Ultra-Tech at one point.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:08 AM   #4
L.J.Steele

Evil Hat is shipping _Fate of Cthulu_ soon -- think Terminator meets modern-day CoC with some/all of the team as survivors of a post-apocalypse future come back to stop the fall using eldritch powers to open up a gate to the past.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:42 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
Evil Hat is shipping _Fate of Cthulu_ soon -- think Terminator meets modern-day CoC with some/all of the team as survivors of a post-apocalypse future come back to stop the fall using eldritch powers to open up a gate to the past.
Do you by any chance happen to be among the kickstarting alpha testers?
Old 11-13-2019, 04:47 AM   #6
L.J.Steele

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Do you by any chance happen to be among the kickstarting alpha testers?
Kickstarter backer, but many of my players are oddly resistant to Fate.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:04 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Kickstarter backer, but many of my players are oddly resistant to Fate.
Ah, so you have access to the Prototype PDF. I've been considering getting the PPDF, but apparently right now it only comes bundled with a pre-order of the dead tree (and I have no use for the latter).

Which paradigm/model/cosmology of timelines and time travel is used by FoC? (I tried asking elsewhere but the only answer I got was guesswork based on an early review.)
Old 11-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
L.J.Steele

Quote:
Ah, so you have access to the Prototype PDF. I've been considering getting the PPDF, but apparently right now it only comes bundled with a pre-order of the dead tree (and I have no use for the latter).

Which paradigm/model/cosmology of timelines and time travel is used by FoC? (I tried asking elsewhere but the only answer I got was guesswork based on an early review.)
I like dead tree edition. :)

Minor Spoilers ahead:

There are five provided possible futures you can try to avert -- Cthulu, Dagon, ShubNigurath, Narylthotep, and the King in Yellow. Each has a series of events the future PCs were briefed on and told to stop or alter. (Their data may or may not be right.)

Future characters can be sent back up to 30 years by a ritual invoking Yog-Sothoth. This comes with a cost to the character -- Corruption (their version of SAN loss inherent in messing with the Mythos). In theory, you could then do the ritual again and move back still further in 30 year jumps, but the Corruption cost would likely be crippling for more than a couple of jumps.

The Mythos is not bounded by your linear notions of time -- some mythos entities may become aware of the future PCs on arrival and change their plans. Changing things spins off alternate time lines, so it is possible to have two PCs co-existing in the past, each from a different future.

Magic and future tech are ill-defined, which may be the biggest weakness of the book. There are a few examples; they probably had to steer clear of CoC's IP. I would have liked say a two full pages each of examples of spells and possible tech.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:34 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I like dead tree edition. :)

Minor Spoilers ahead:

There are five provided possible futures you can try to avert -- Cthulu, Dagon, ShubNigurath, Narylthotep, and the King in Yellow. Each has a series of events the future PCs were briefed on and told to stop or alter. (Their data may or may not be right.)

Future characters can be sent back up to 30 years by a ritual invoking Yog-Sothoth. This comes with a cost to the character -- Corruption (their version of SAN loss inherent in messing with the Mythos). In theory, you could then do the ritual again and move back still further in 30 year jumps, but the Corruption cost would likely be crippling for more than a couple of jumps.

The Mythos is not bounded by your linear notions of time -- some mythos entities may become aware of the future PCs on arrival and change their plans. Changing things spins off alternate time lines, so it is possible to have two PCs co-existing in the past, each from a different future.

Magic and future tech are ill-defined, which may be the biggest weakness of the book. There are a few examples; they probably had to steer clear of CoC's IP. I would have liked say a two full pages each of examples of spells and possible tech.
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't quite define the question about the model/cosmology/paradigm. I meant like these models. So e.g. the spun-off new timelines - do they overwrite or coexist, and is jumping between them doable etc.? Which of the listed models is the closest, and which additional rules of temporal physics are in play? (Also, here's a link to my question elsewhere, in case more elaboration is required and/or you'd be interested in earning some rep on RPGSE.)
Old 11-14-2019, 05:07 AM   #10
L.J.Steele

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't quite define the question about the model/cosmology/paradigm. I meant like these models. So e.g. the spun-off new timelines - do they overwrite or coexist, and is jumping between them doable etc.? Which of the listed models is the closest, and which additional rules of temporal physics are in play? (Also, here's a link to my question elsewhere, in case more elaboration is required and/or you'd be interested in earning some rep on RPGSE.)
At best guess, sensitive history model -- going back changes a single timeline. (You, or at least nothing human, can jump ahead -- the Corruption cost is too high.) The new timeline overwrites the old one. For the time-travelling character, their personal past is sticky -- so if you kill your past self, then no future you will exist if you screw up this mission to try again. (Again, there are notes that the Eldrich Horrors understand time very differently.)

The suggested timelines don't interact, but could be done in series. OK, we stopped Cthulu, and Dagon from rising, but … is that future me III here to warn us about the King in Yellow?