Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #31
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Static vs. Mind Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial666 View Post
I wonder. How would you stat someone's ability to not be subject to antipowers without being cosmic?
Don't apply a Power Modifier that includes the Exotic Counter-Measures component.

Static (Magic) vs something that is Magic (Ambient Exotic Energy), -5%, -- instead of the default Magic (Ambient Exotic Energy, Exotic Counter-Measures), -10% -- does nothing as it isn't subject to that limitation. Mana Damper would still affect it.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #32
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
By being "wildcard" powers. Only Cosmic anti-powers would be able to shut them down.
Neutralize (Cosmic, +300%) can't neutralize wild advantages. It can only negate advantages that possess power modifiers (even if said power modifiers do not include exotic counter-measures). A cosmic Static wouldn't affect them either. If you want to remove/negate/counter a wild advantage ('wild' meaning 'without power modifier', not 'wildcard power' which is a specific thing that appears in GURPS Supers) you need to go the Affliction + Negated Advantage route.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #33
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Neutralize (Cosmic, +300%) can't neutralize wild advantages. It can only negate advantages that possess power modifiers (even if said power modifiers do not include exotic counter-measures). A cosmic Static wouldn't affect them either. If you want to remove/negate/counter a wild advantage ('wild' meaning 'without power modifier', not 'wildcard power' which is a specific thing that appears in GURPS Supers) you need to go the Affliction + Negated Advantage route.
IDHMBWM, but I'm fairly certain I saw something about Cosmic Neutralize working on Wildcard powers.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #34
the_matrix_walker

A Wildcard power is subject to normal power damping and general countermeasures.

A Wild Advantage never is, not even with Cosmic. You'd need a Negated Advantage Affliction for that.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:21 PM   #35
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
IDHMBWM, but I'm fairly certain I saw something about Cosmic Neutralize working on Wildcard powers.
If the Wildcard Power (GURPS Supers, pg 41) has a Power Modifier? Then, yes, Neutralize (Cosmic, +300%) will work on it.

A Wildcard Power is not a wild advantage. A wild advantage is any advantage that doesn't have a power modifier. Very different things. (GURPS Powers, pg 97.)
Old 04-11-2014, 01:40 AM   #36
DangerousThing

Quote:
Why wouldn't a Cosmic modifier (the proper one, of course) allow neutralize to work on wild advantages? I would think a +100% would be enough to work on a group of wild advantages.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:01 AM   #37
Nereidalbel

Quote:
If the Wildcard Power (GURPS Supers, pg 41) has a Power Modifier? Then, yes, Neutralize (Cosmic, +300%) will work on it.

A Wildcard Power is not a wild advantage. A wild advantage is any advantage that doesn't have a power modifier. Very different things. (GURPS Powers, pg 97.)
Notice that I only said powers, not all advantages. Your Innate Attack might be shut down because it's a power, but your DR will be fine.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:04 AM   #38
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Why wouldn't a Cosmic modifier (the proper one, of course) allow neutralize to work on wild advantages? I would think a +100% would be enough to work on a group of wild advantages.
Wild advantages aren't powers. Negating everything mundane is nonsensical... How would it even work? Anything with a positive racial template becomes a human? People around mutate into generic versions, losing appearance, talents, and everything else expressed as an advantage? Can your car only carry what a ST 10 person can, and not you of course because it's lost it's payload? or does everything around you that's natural just cease to exist? Since you can't posess what you can negate, you will have to enhance anything you spend points on with Cosmic... and be sure to take doesn't breathe if you can't benefit from mundane air...
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:05 AM   #39
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Because if it did, Negated Advantage Afflictions would have no reason to exist. Negating DR with Affliction has a cost based on how much DR you can negate, while Neutralize working on Wildcard DR would be the same cost to negate 1 DR or 1,000,000 DR.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:09 AM   #40
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I would rule that on all abilities that have a high buy in for switch-ability (Static, Mana Enhancer, etc) require that enhancement to work. More balance reasons than logic reasons.
No, if Switchable is brought for a Gadget the Gadget has a switch on it allowing you to turn it on or off. For example if I have a smartphone with Mana Enhancer abilities and if you get too far away from it you're no longer under it's effects, that's Gadget, if the smartphone has the ability to turn the Mana Enhancer on or off, that Gadget and Switchable.

Really in this sort of case Gadget is messing with the rule about things you pay cash for Vs. those you pay points for, or comes close to it.

Realistically if you're going for Gadget and an area of effect thing (Mana Enhancer) you should use Ally instead, gives a better modeling
scc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
malediction-proof, protected sense, static