Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
DippyTTO

Default Naval gun stats

I'm trying to create a dreadnought/battleship-style airship. Are there any GURPS resources that have stats for naval artillery? Even something as simple as a formula for damage based on the size of the shell and the size of the barrel would be nice, as it would allow me to create my own guns, customized to the individual classes of airships.
DippyTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Naval gun stats

Spaceships 7 has TL5-6 naval cannon, IIRC.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
DippyTTO

Well, thank you, Sir Pudding. I will look into that.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
benz72

If this is some sort of fantasy/steampunk setting it should do whatever is genera appropriate.
For anything approaching 'realism' try using small field artillery from a compatible era with extremely limited magazine capacity and huge recoil penalties (but fantastic height of eye and a good range bonus based on altitude).

I am presuming that if you are talking about flight you would be using breech loading gunnery. Muzzle loaded cannon aimed 'down' require wadding to keep the projectile from falling out.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

One thing that's reasonably feasible is assigning GURPS stats to historical guns that haven't been officially written up.

By combining Wikipedia and other web sources for ballistic information and shell filling data with Douglas Cole's formulae and the explosives rules, you should be able to get the damage figures. Weight is usually available likewise, cost often is not easily (but isn't very meaningful anyway).

Max range can be figured from a little simple ballistics if you know how much elevation the gun permits. 1/2d range is trickier, I don't know how to work that out.

Acc I'd go for giving numbers similar to whatever looks relatively appropriate in the High Tech weapon tables, primarily, because I don't have anything better. Most of what you'd usually call naval guns are Shots 1, rcl nobody-cares, ST too much M. The rcl stat is flat-out meaningless and I wouldn't bother with it. The ST one might be set as some function of weight if you think it's going to matter.

The real trick is finding a good citation on what rate of fire was achievable to set the reload time.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
DippyTTO

Benz, I am talking about breech-loaded gunnery, such as the 4"/50 caliber gun that was found on World War I-era destroyers.

And Ulzgoroth; where can I find these formulae that you mentioned?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DippyTTO View Post
Benz, I am talking about breech-loaded gunnery, such as the 4"/50 caliber gun that was found on World War I-era destroyers.

And Ulzgoroth; where can I find these formulae that you mentioned?
Try here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...22&postcount=1
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airship, artillery