Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 04:21 AM   #141
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Indiegogo: Ogre Miniatures Set 3 - Doppelsoldner and Ogre Mark VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post
The metal molds for this one is almost the whole cost they are trying to raise.
A very high percentage of the $25,000 goal covers the CAD work and steel tooling. There are many other costs associated with the project, including:

* Time. To get to the point we are at today, we've already invested a lot of time into the project. Ben's paintwork alone was hours and hours . . . which equates money; Ben gets paid to work for us.

* Management and administration. These things just don't happen by magic. There are several people involved in overseeing the project and making sure that it moves through the process.

* Plastics. Once the mold is made, we still have to spend money on actually making the minis.

* Packaging. Even with effectively no packaging, there is an expense in packaging. Without a barcode, fulfillment would become a nightmare.

* In-Country Freight. We have to ship the minis from one factory to a different factory.

* Ocean Freight. Once the minis get to our primary partner factory, everything has to make its way across the ocean.

* Truck/Rail Freight. Once the container reaches the U.S., the shipment has to make it to the fulfillment service.

* Fulfillment Costs. Our partner warehouse charges a fee. They like to stay in business.

While the tooling is _very_ expensive, that doesn't minimize all of the other work that goes into even a small project like this. Ultimately, across the entire process, hundreds of people are involved in making our games and supplements a reality.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:09 AM   #142
ldj00

I think I have backed most of the OGRE Kickstarters (The OGRE Objective 218 I didn't back) and the Miniature rules. I backed the miniature kickstarters to use as pieces for the map/board game.

But the timing of this before GenCon has forced me to make a hard decision of using the non-budget money I have earmarked for GenCon or cut my GenCon budget and back this project for 2 miniatures I am not sure I would use.

I hope that there will be some in the store afterward, but if not, then I will need to miss out on this one. :(

Some times things just do not line up.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #143
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
While the tooling is _very_ expensive, that doesn't minimize all of the other work that goes into even a small project like this. Ultimately, across the entire process, hundreds of people are involved in making our games and supplements a reality.
Once again, thank you for more glimpses behind the scenes at what it takes to make this happen, it really is interesting. One question: why do things have to be sent from one factory to another before being shipped over here? Are there actual production things that happen at factory #2, or is it just a matter of factory #2 is the one that handles all the international shipping so factory #1 isn't equipped for that part of things?
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
Old 07-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #144
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj00 View Post
...But the timing of this before GenCon has forced me to make a hard decision of using the non-budget money I have earmarked for GenCon or cut my GenCon budget and back this project for 2 miniatures I am not sure I would use.

I hope that there will be some in the store afterward, but if not, then I will need to miss out on this one. :(
I feel it too, but I'm shorter of time than money. I'm envious of you're going to GenCon. Definitely the better choice - you get to play Ogre there.

I'm in for one of each. I can't imagine needing more than one of these beasts in a single game (although I'm sure some of you can), and I'm not a painter.

SJGames normally makes a few extras of every product. There's usually two bursts - one after they ship to all backers, then a second when they sell off the reserve they hold for misprints. I expect demand to be really high for both.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #145
HeatDeath

When the plastics ship, I'll have 6-7 each of Dopps and VIs. I'm kind of curious to see what a scenario (hypothetical late War where both sides have Dopps and VIs as their standard line units) with that many landships looks like.

I suspect that there will be so many attack factors flying around that standard armor will be completely non-viable. Infantry will have a place, maybe, but I suspect that nothing less than a 3au SHVY will be worth its square mile of real estate. [The game might be degenerate at that point - like trying to play Melee where everyone has modern assault rifles. It'll definitely be different.]

Dopps:
2x chipboard from ODE
1x chipboard from OM2
1x metal
3x black plastic

VIs:
2x chipboard from ODE
1x chipboard from BGG
1x chipboard from OM2
1x metal
3x black plastic

I'll have to give PE an armor swarm to make up the difference. Now that'll be some interesting choices.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #146
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
One question: why do things have to be sent from one factory to another before being shipped over here?
The factory that handles Ogre minis doesn't do any other work for us and the project doesn't come close to filling a container. By shipping the material to our primary factory, we can save on overall ocean costs by dropping the material into one of our larger shipments (we have a Munchkin container or two every month or so these days, and we pack things in that).
Old 07-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #147
offsides

Quote:
The factory that handles Ogre minis doesn't do any other work for us and the project doesn't come close to filling a container. By shipping the material to our primary factory, we can save on overall ocean costs by dropping the material into one of our larger shipments (we have a Munchkin container or two every month or so these days, and we pack things in that).
That makes perfect sense, thanks!
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
Old 07-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #148
sparky00

Quote:
A very high percentage of the $25,000 goal covers the CAD work and steel tooling. There are many other costs associated with the project, including:

Which is why I'm amazed that its even possible make accurate injection-molded minis of complex subjects like these in the small numbers you make them. Let alone for the modest sum of your crowdfunding campaign.

My gratitude to everyone involved in this intricate, complex and expensive process. Im sure the final results will be excellent.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #149
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Tricksy Game Developerseses...

Seriously though, that's clever...the kind of optimization that might not be immediately obvious but pays 'Why didn't we do this sooner?' dividends.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/

Last edited by TheAmishStig; 07-19-2019 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Redundant buts
Old 07-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #150
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Tricksy Game Developerseses...

Seriously though, that's clever...the kind of optimization that might not be immediately obvious but pays 'Why didn't we do this sooner?' dividends.
If it wasn't for those regular Munchkin shipments, I'm not sure if this project would even be happening. The goal would certainly be higher.
Closed Thread