Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Radoslav

Default Parrying with long pole weapons

Long pole weapons, such as spear with Reach 1,2, require a Ready maneuver to change their reach.

If I am holding a spear in Reach 2 and my opponent steps in (reducing the distance to Reach 1) and attacks - can I Parry with the spear (if I do not retreat)?

I cannot find the rules for that...

Using common sense, I'd apply a penalty to such a Parry... maybe -2? I think stepping in closer than the range of long weapons is a sensible maneuver, isn't it?
Radoslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
gilbertocarlos

Default Re: Parrying with long pole weapons

No penalty, you can parry as usual.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radoslav View Post
Using common sense, I'd apply a penalty to such a Parry... maybe -2?
Why? It's going to possible to parry with the haft regardless.
Quote:
I think stepping in closer than the range of long weapons is a sensible maneuver, isn't it?
Defensively it's a great idea because you can then deny them the ability to attack effectively.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
mhd

I'm no polearm expert, but you probably wouldn't want to parry with the front-most part anyway, similar to the "forte" of a blade.
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

The large majority of pole arms wouldn't have a problem with parrying with the blade. They are generally pretty well built. As well as having a number with hooks/spikes/forks etc that work well for catching an attack. Spears with wings, in my personal opinion, are made for doing this with the wings acting as stops and being able to bind the opponents weapon.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
The large majority of pole arms wouldn't have a problem with parrying with the blade. They are generally pretty well built. As well as having a number with hooks/spikes/forks etc that work well for catching an attack. Spears with wings, in my personal opinion, are made for doing this with the wings acting as stops and being able to bind the opponents weapon.
Other polearms have "langets" or "splines" (metal reinforcing bars) extending back from the attachment point of the blade/head. Sometimes on a short polearm such as the Duelling pollaxe tey extend all the way to a "rondel" or round handguard jsut beyond where the foreward hand would go.

Parry with the head or shaft. Attempts were made to maximize the weapon's ability in either form.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
TheQuestionMan

Another method is moving your hand under the bottom of the blade and using it like a short sword or large knife. A -2 penalty seems like a good judgement call.

Cheers

QM
Old 12-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Radoslav

Thanks for all the answers that saved me looking further for the rule ;)

My reasoning is that, the opponent is closer than the tip (and all the parrying gizmos) of your weapon. Whatever you want to parry with should be between you and your opponent's weapon. In this scenario, half of the weapon is either beyond the opponent, above or to the side.

In spear parries I've seen in movies (that's my reference ;)) a fighter always moves the front end of the spear the most. Imagine a sphere of damage and protection drawn by the tip / front part of the spear around him. But when the opponent is within that sphere, you have to change the grip - shorten it, or hold it across the two of you, or increase the distance from the opponent. Until that, your movements with the spear are quite limited.

Hence, I'd apply -1 or -2 to such parries.
Radoslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radoslav View Post
Thanks for all the answers that saved me looking further for the rule ;)

My reasoning is that, the opponent is closer than the tip (and all the parrying gizmos) of your weapon. Whatever you want to parry with should be between you and your opponent's weapon. In this scenario, half of the weapon is either beyond the opponent, above or to the side.
Beware of the well-trained user. He'll be traioned in both Spear and Staff and ahve the Grip Mastery Perk. Move in on him and he'll just switch Skills (instantly) and Parry with the +2 you get from Staff rather than any penalty.

Tags
combat, defending, parry, reach