Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #31
Lamech

Default Re: [IC] The Marching Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Fox View Post
"Ezreal I will need you and the rangers to be the eyes and ears Simonton, we will need advanced warning should we be facing a battle of arms."

All right then. I'll continue patrols and ensure our safety. No one will sneak up on us in the night.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #32
Harry O'Gane

Sir Fharin bows down and places his sword on the ground. A common symbol among knights, showing their ackonwledgment of the new Lord. As soon as he had a chance, he speaks:

"As the will says, there are 600 Megalan pounds in the treasury. I am not sure how to invest this money at the moment, but since Astaron and Slenthan are for sure already at their homes, up to something, we might use that money to prepare ourselves. Since Simonton has no official army, except for the castle regiment, consisting of about 150 troops, mostly medium infantry, we might be in trouble once we get attacked by Astaron or Slenthan. Or both. Duncan here proposed to take his troops into the regiment as well. I see no reason why not, since those are good soldiers, experienced and have seen battleground, if I am not mistaken. "

He points his hand to the direction of the dining hall.

"Let us sit down and discuss this as we dine. The body and mind function at best when soothed with meat. Grok, you have my sincere thanks for organizing this all. Lord of Simonton will be glad to have you by his side for sure."

He goes off first to that direction, but stops after remembering something:

"Oh, yes. To be fully acknowledged as the new Lord, you'll need the consent of the King. If you want, I can send a messenger with the news to Carrick, the capital."
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #33
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry O'Gane View Post
"As the will says, there are 600 Megalan pounds in the treasury. I am not sure how to invest this money at the moment, but since Astaron and Slenthan are for sure already at their homes, up to something, we might use that money to prepare ourselves. Since Simonton has no official army, except for the castle regiment, consisting of about 150 troops, mostly medium infantry, we might be in trouble once we get attacked by Astaron or Slenthan. Or both.
Ezreal follows him to the delicious smells, and clasps both his hand behind his head.
"Would they actually be that big of jerks? If those guys really are friends with Cabble, it kind of crushes any inkling of hope to ally with him..."
Old 07-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #34
Harry O'Gane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Ezreal follows him to the delicious smells, and clasps both his hand behind his head.
"Would they actually be that big of jerks? If those guys really are friends with Cabble, it kind of crushes any inkling of hope to ally with him..."
"No, liutenant." Fharin replies.

"Slenthan will suck into Cabble's ass, that is correct, but not Astaron. Cabble played many tricks on Astaron, like he did on Walton. Astaron, as well, hates Cabble's guts."

He turns to Ezrael, while grabbing a seat and pouring wine to both Ezrael's and his glass.

"I do know one thing, though. Astaron will DEFINITELY do something. He has no one to ally with, so the only thing left is to launch an attack. The rumour goes he has some kind of army. Are those some kind of mercenaries or something else, I do not know."

He takes his glass, and as soon as everyone has been seated, he stands up.

"I propose a toast, gentlemen. Two, to be precise. One for late Lord Walton, may he rest in eternal peace and ascend to the meadows of Heaven above. The other for the new Lord of Simonton, Godfrey, to ascend this barony to victory and prosperity!"
Old 07-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #35
Epic Kobold

Grok raised an over-sized glass at this and quickly snapped down another roasted pheasant in a few bites.

After some reflection (and PMing with the GM) Grok added

Walton and I discussed this war many times. As you know, both sizes squabble over nothing. The king found out that Lord Marsden of Donlis committed river piracy, publicly accused him of that and raised the taxes, when Deneral (another, former Lord) started crying and led the Sterling Rebellion, our Civil War.

A civil war of pure foolishness, the king rose to power as a child, and remains a child in the eyes of the baronies, unworthy of their trust. As much of a failure as a king that Conall is, Caithness must stand strong and united, lest it fall.

Dsepite his low opinion of the king, the rebels are not without their fatal flaw. Walton wanted to support them, but for Lord Cabble of Denton. Cabble crossed Walton many times, and if cabble were to be... removed Walton would join the Rebels in a heartbeat. With Simerton on their side, the balance of power would shift swiftly.

In my opinion, we need only dispose one figurehead or the other and take up their mantel. Not easy, but the obvious solution. Made much easier if we have an established ally, like Astaron. The enemy of my enemy and all of that business.

He seemed to contemplate this musing as he crushed a leg of lamb between his jaws.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #36
Grey_Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Kobold View Post
"The announcement will be made tomorrow mid-morning, I have the castle's fastest messengers gathering the people for it already. I've already made preparations for Walton's final rest, early tomorrow morning, he shall reside in his favorite hill overlooking the river. Also, this is yours."

He removed the key and chain from around his neck and handed it to the new Lord.

Standing to his full nine-foot height, Grok announced to all "There is a feast prepared in the dining hall, all of Walton's favorite dishes to celebrate his life as per his wishes."
Nodding, "Thank you Grok"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
,"It would be my pleasure my lord. The inspections will start after your announcement tommorrow. May I count my cohorts in as part of the force? They have fought and survived many battles with me. I would hate for them to sell their sword to our opposition."
Looking to Duncan "We have known each other since we were children Duncan, I think you can drop the "Lord"" he chuckled, "As to your men, i think our forces would benefit from their experience, and as lieutenant i imagine you should have some say as to the "New recruits" " he smiled.

Quote:
He points his hand to the direction of the dining hall.

"Let us sit down and discuss this as we dine. The body and mind function at best when soothed with meat. Grok, you have my sincere thanks for organizing this all. Lord of Simonton will be glad to have you by his side for sure."

He goes off first to that direction, but stops after remembering something:

"Oh, yes. To be fully acknowledged as the new Lord, you'll need the consent of the King. If you want, I can send a messenger with the news to Carrick, the capital."
"Very well send the messenger, now as you say bellies need to be filled, and i believe if Walton was still with us he would say something like "One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.", the man did enjoy his food" he chuckled as he walked to the hall.

Quote:
"I do know one thing, though. Astaron will DEFINITELY do something. He has no one to ally with, so the only thing left is to launch an attack. The rumour goes he has some kind of army. Are those some kind of mercenaries or something else, I do not know."
"Then we must make finding out the strengths of this army a priority, if we are to counter it effectively."

Quote:
He takes his glass, and as soon as everyone has been seated, he stands up.

"I propose a toast, gentlemen. Two, to be precise. One for late Lord Walton, may he rest in eternal peace and ascend to the meadows of Heaven above. The other for the new Lord of Simonton, Godfrey, to ascend this barony to victory and prosperity!"
Raises his cup, "To Walton!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Kobold View Post
In my opinion, we need only dispose one figurehead or the other and take up their mantel. Not easy, but the obvious solution. Made much easier if we have an established ally, like Astaron. The enemy of my enemy and all of that business.[/COLOR]”[/B]

He seemed to contemplate this musing as he crushed a leg of lamb between his jaws.
Raising an eyebrow to Grok while grabbing a leg of chicken, "Walton once asked me a riddle, There are 4 men standing in a hall, a priest, a merchant, a king, and a simple swordsman. The swordsman holds no ill will, but the other three wish each other dead. Kill them says the merchant i will reward you with gold, kill them says the king for i am your rightful ruler, no kill them says the priest and i will give you the blessing of god!. The riddle was who does the swordsmen kill?.....I remember feeling quite cocky when i delivered my answer to Walton, the answer is whoever he chooses, if he values gold he sides with the merchant, if he values honor he sides with the king, and if he values righteousness he sides with the priest!.....Walton smiled and simply asked me what the lesson of the riddle was?...I had no idea at the time, but I think i have it now, the swordsmen is no one, he is the common man, and yet he holds all the power, for all the supposed power of the other three only he holds the power to choose who lives and who dies........so perhaps the question that needs to be asked is, what is in the best interest of the common men?..."

[OOC]
Spoiler:  
Grey_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #37
Epic Kobold

Quote:
Nodding, ((****ing brilliant bit))........so perhaps the question that needs to be asked is, what is in the best interest of the common men?..."
"On that, I cannot say for sure. I am somewhat...removed from the common man. It seems to me they'd value security and prosperity. A chicken in every pot, four in the yard and the respect if not awe of every other nation. Something not truly seen on Yrth ever before. I have an idea that's a bit...extreme, but I'm curious to hear everyone else's thoughts before I advise."

((PM me with the book title please, I forsake my bonus points.))
Old 07-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #38
Lamech

Quote:
.so perhaps the question that needs to be asked is, what is in the best interest of the common men?..."
Ezreal sets his food down and leans forward.
"The common man? First they need security, freedom from the chaos of war, and to know that our enemies will not enslave them. They cannot grow food if armies raze fields and towns, steal cattle, call men to battle when harvest is at hand. First they need this war ended, and for our great nation to be secure against its foes.
Then they want to be able to profit from there labors, gather wealth. To live in a prosperous land, so they can have the finer things, better houses, better food, whatever. To have more then just what they need.
If a thief rules when ever they do well it can all be stolen, and if they fair poorly they could be left with nothing to eat. Of course, a fool while better than the thief is still a problem."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Kobold
In my opinion, we need only dispose one figurehead or the other and take up their mantel. Not easy, but the obvious solution. Made much easier if we have an established ally, like Astaron. The enemy of my enemy and all of that business.”

"So it seems to me Grok is on the right track. We must replace one figure head. But I don't believe that we can simply kill one and take up there mantle. If we march in war against one and win, their former followers will be see us as the enemy. Assassination may work, but even if we leave not one shred of evidence, I believe that many will suspect any lord who suddenly tries to benefit from a leaders death.

Instead I propose we offer an alternative to Cabble, try to get others to leave him and join us. If one joins others may follow. Or if we show strength in war. So lets us ally with or destroy Astaron."

Then in a lower and softer voice "Though before we do rebel against the king we should get his approval for the new lord. 'Sort of a thanks for the knife now let me put in your face kind of deal?'"

Last edited by Lamech; 07-15-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Misplaced my stuff in someone else's quote box.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #39
Epic Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post

Then in a lower and softer voice "Though before we do rebel against the king we should get his approval for the new lord. 'Sort of a thanks for the knife now let me put in your face kind of deal?'"
The corners of Grok's muzzle curl into a grin at this. He remains otherwise laconic and continues to gather the other's thoughts.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #40
Harry O'Gane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Fox
....so perhaps the question that needs to be asked is, what is in the best interest of the common men?..."
"Interesting riddle. And interesting conclusion. Well appropriated, Lord Godfrey, I see your point. The people of Simonton have been used to freedom and peace. If you look at the streets of Simontown Town, you'll see people from all over Caithness, also including Elves, Dwarves, Goblins and Halflings. And many other kin who are a rarity to be seen in a Caithneseer city.

"Here is what I propose. We wait a bit. We keep an eye on Astaron and Slenthan. See what they do. In case Astaron decides to attack, we defend. How much of an army can he have, anyway?

Slenthan won't attack us, at least not soon. He needs Cabble to help him, but Cabble cannot attack Simonton openly and directly. As you might've guessed, both sides need Simonton as their ally, Royalists and Rebels. Openly attacking us will provoke even bigger enmities.

Starting up a third faction is bad. Starting a revolution in a revolution simply does not sound good to me. In short: We need to inform ourselves of the situation around us. Simonton was not in the war when it started, so we need to pick up the info on what is actually going on. Once we have sufficient info, we're ready to plan our next move. But yes, regarding Astaron, I'd say we gather an army before he does, and do anything but lock ourselves in the Castle. We have better chances of beating him in an open battle."

Tags
banestorm, caithess, civil war, mass combat, yrth