Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #231
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: The 2019 Digital W23 Speculation and Discussion Thread

Personally, one setting I want to see updated is Technomancer. It's my favorite in-house SJGames setting and one I've run in the past (instead of just making my own which I mostly prefer).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Old 07-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #232
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I am large; I contain multitudes. Heck, my other project of the moment is in a sub-genre I've never tackled before, in forty years of games writing, and for a publisher I've never worked with before. One tries to keep things a little bit fresh.
I apologize; it was not my intent to sound like I was pigeon-holing you.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #233
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I think we could use a few more setting books. GURPS has quite a few but there very much a matter of taste and I dont think more would hurt.
I enjoy settings books... but settings are practically a dime a dozen in the current RPG market. It seems like I see at least one a week crowd-funding on Kickstarter.

What allows That Other Game and Its Near Relative their market dominance is their ability to use that large customer base to sell adventures. From looking at game listings in my area, many people may only play published material rather than creating their own. And I’m amazed by the number of board games which are basically rules-light RPGs designed to run an adventure without a GM.

We’ve previously discussed the economic challenges for smaller publishers in selling adventures, particularly for a multi-genre rules set. I’m glad SJGames offers several options for the Dungeon Fantasy line (though I hope that effort doesn’t swing entirely to TFT releases instead!).

I wonder what would happen if the most prolific of the GURPS bloggers declared an “adventure month” in which to offer a variety of homebrew ready-mades?
Old 07-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #234
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Personally, one setting I want to see updated is Technomancer. It's my favorite in-house SJGames setting and one I've run in the past (instead of just making my own which I mostly prefer).
Now that we’ve seen various Dungeon Fantasy material compiled and republished from Volumes 2 and 3 of Pyramid, I wonder about the feasibility of linking together and extending some of the "article arcs" covering topics like Roma Universalis, etc.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #235
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
What allows That Other Game and Its Near Relative their market dominance is their ability to use that large customer base to sell adventures.
Well, no, that's only a symptom. It's really just a case of a large customer base is generally better -- it means it's easier to find other players, easier to find product (and it gets spotlight time), they can afford higher production values on their products, they can publish more products, etc, etc, etc.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:27 PM   #236
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Now that we’ve seen various Dungeon Fantasy material compiled and republished from Volumes 2 and 3 of Pyramid,
We've only seen volume 3 material republished. Unless nobody told me it came out already, the (more or less heavily revised) material from v1 and v2 has yet to see the light of day.

Quote:
I wonder about the feasibility of linking together and extending some of the "article arcs" covering topics like Roma Universalis, etc.
Hmm. Yes. Linking together articles.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Old 07-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #237
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Thats a good one, I'd also like to see...
  • Cabal and Voodoo updated. probably as part of the MH line
  • An Action setting for Modern Day
  • An Action setting for Pulp era, like Cliffhangers
  • A Wild West minisetting or perhaps Location entry
  • The Space Atlas series
  • IST
  • A Kaijui or Atomic Horror
  • InNomine
  • That Space War/Car Wars setting from Pyramid

Quote:
I enjoy settings books... but settings are practically a dime a dozen in the current RPG market. It seems like I see at least one a week crowd-funding on Kickstarter.

I wonder what would happen if the most prolific of the GURPS bloggers declared an “adventure month” in which to offer a variety of homebrew ready-mades?
Nonetheless a good setting still has value. Consider the WoD setting, the setting sold the system
I think a good adventure takes too much time to write for that to work well.

I have considered but not gotten around to compiling a list of adventures in Pyramid, there are a lot of them.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 07-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #238
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
We've only seen volume 3 material republished. Unless nobody told me it came out already, the (more or less heavily revised) material from v1 and v2 has yet to see the light of day.
True; I spoke somewhat prematurely. But we know it's pretty much finished and ready for release, first in hard copy for Kickstarter backers and then (one would hope) as a PDF.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #239
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
  • Cabal and Voodoo updated. probably as part of the MH line
Those would work nicely as PDF supplements to the 3e editions, kind of like the 4e upgrade guides for Transhuman Space and Reign of Steel. Branding them as MH material would probably help. :-)

Quote:
  • An Action setting for Modern Day
I enjoyed the fluff for the old Shadowforce Archer d20 game line, though that’s perhaps MH as much as Action. However, GURPS does seem the perfect system for creating Bond villains....

Quote:
  • An Action setting for Pulp era, like Cliffhangers
Just spitballing here, since I've never seen it done before, but what if SJGames were to offer, for example, PDF conversions of Chaosium's Pulp Cthulhu material? You'd write it such that it required the original volume to run, and the license would limit format to PDF so that you wouldn't be competing with the originator's core rules on game-store shelves. I gave no idea what the complications might be in terms of branding, etc., but I wonder whether "piggy-backing" might be a viable way for mid-range gaming companies to ally.

Quote:
  • IST
Definitely. Supers is a complex enough genre, mechanically, that more worked examples are always helpful.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #240
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
We’ve previously discussed the economic challenges for smaller publishers in selling adventures, particularly for a multi-genre rules set. I’m glad SJGames offers several options for the Dungeon Fantasy line (though I hope that effort doesn’t swing entirely to TFT releases instead!).
For what it's worth, the next two Nordlond adventures, "The Dragons of Rosgarth" and "Forest's End" will likely be launched together, rather than one at a time...and they're next in the queue for Gaming Ballistic.
Closed Thread