Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
tcabril

Default Odd Question.... { Crossbows having ST-based damage }

I can see why a Bow would be be STRength based damage (imp+...) but why a Crossbow?
tcabril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Odd Question....

Note that in both cases, it's not the user's ST, as such, that sets the damage of the bow or crossbow. Muscle-powered weapons like these have their own ST, set when you purchase the item. See "Crossbows and ST", p. 270. Hopefully that makes it clearer why crossbow damage is ST-based - it's because the crossbow's damage is defined by ST, just the ST of the limbs and such that propel the bolt, not necessarily the ST of the person holding it up and pointing it.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Using a bow of higher ST than your own results in penalties; see B270 (the right-hand column under "Crossbows and ST", which also talks about self bows, forbidding stronger bows than your own ST).

Although that section just mentions reloading time penalties, I've also taken it to mean crossbows have a -1 per point of ST that you lack, as in the opening paragraph of the ST column for equipment. (Was it just 3e that had the bit about "a large crossbow is heavy and kicks" when describing the penalty for an over-ST crossbow?)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Using a bow of higher ST than your own results in penalties; see B270 (the right-hand column under "Crossbows and ST", which also talks about self bows, forbidding stronger bows than your own ST).

Although that section just mentions reloading time penalties, I've also taken it to mean crossbows have a -1 per point of ST that you lack, as in the opening paragraph of the ST column for equipment. (Was it just 3e that had the bit about "a large crossbow is heavy and kicks" when describing the penalty for an over-ST crossbow?)
Unless a crossbow is so far over your actual ST that you can't lift the bloody thing, there's no penalty for picking one up that somebody much stronger than you already pulled back. Trying to reload without mechanical assistance will take forever, though, if you can even do it at all.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:27 PM   #5
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Unless a crossbow is so far over your actual ST that you can't lift the bloody thing, there's no penalty for picking one up that somebody much stronger than you already pulled back. Trying to reload without mechanical assistance will take forever, though, if you can even do it at all.
That's one of the advantages of crossbows; It's ST-based but not your ST. I played a character once who carried a preloaded crossbow by an ally with inhuman ST (22?) to basically have a one shot sniper rifle.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
hal

The reason crossbows are ST related, is because of the limitation imposed by reloading the crossbow. Mechanisms exist allowing a character to reload crossbows of a ST waiting higher than their actual ST would normally allow, but at a penalty to reload time.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
tcabril

Got it - sorry - its been awhile....
tcabril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #8
tshiggins

I checked into this topic, when Anten wanted a.crossbow for his character. Even with modern materials, the top-end pull available on a reasonably portable crossbow puts a bolt down-range at 330 fps. I gave that a GURPS ST of about 22.

The one used by A.J., in my campaign, is a hinged model that includes a geared lever as long as the whole crossbow. It's based on a real world crossbow made in Belgium, and their top-end model does about 305-310 fps., so we figured that was about ST 21.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
I checked into this topic, when Anten wanted a.crossbow for his character. Even with modern materials, the top-end pull available on a reasonably portable crossbow puts a bolt down-range at 330 fps. I gave that a GURPS ST of about 22.

The one used by A.J., in my campaign, is a hinged model that includes a geared lever as long as the whole crossbow. It's based on a real world crossbow made in Belgium, and their top-end model does about 305-310 fps., so we figured that was about ST 21.
Have you picked up Pyramid 3_33 with the attending copy of Excel calculator for the Deadly Spring article? It contains information on cross bows, using up to TL 8 materials. It will also give an actual FPS statistic if that helps.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #10
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Have you picked up Pyramid 3_33 with the attending copy of Excel calculator for the Deadly Spring article? It contains information on cross bows, using up to TL 8 materials. It will also give an actual FPS statistic if that helps.
I did not. We just sorta eyeballed it. It works well enough.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bow, strength