Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #231
Curmudgeon

Default Re: bending stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason taylor
A Canadian who is fiercely nationalistic, obsessed with "heritage" and picks a fight with anyone who is perceived to have insulted his country.
Depending on whether or not you mean a physical fight, we’re not all that rare, or even uncommon. Numerically, we probably peaked during the period 1965-1985, in terms of the nation as a whole, but you’ll find us most strongly represented from among those who were educated in in southern Ontario, as a general rule.

If you do mean picking a physical fight that does bend the stereotype, probably to the point where you’ve actually broken the stereotype. Fiercely nationalistic Canadians who obsess over their heritage rarely feel the urge to pick a physical fight because they are supremely confident to the point where they feel that a physical fight “proves nothing.” On the other hand, Jeremy Slater’s portrayal of Sgt. O’Neil in the breakfast scene from The Devil’s Brigade is usually considered "spot on" as the basic solution for Canada’s “problem children.”

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 10-10-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #232
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
It seems like the meaning of 'geek' and 'nerd' got diluted over time. I used to encounter it to mean someone who's very obsessive about a non-physical, non-social, cerebral/intellectual/etc. topic or topics, and tends towards the lower end of the physical and social spectra in general. Nowadays we have people talking about dancing geeks and MA geeks and the like, which is why I shifted towards using 'nerd' instead. I actually always considered the years spent on pole vaulting during my university years (and on firearms lately) to be the un-nerdy side of myself. But it seems like by now the word loses its precision, gradually becoming indistinguishable from 'aficionado' or 'fan'.
I don't that's the case here. Most people think things like the SCA, LARPS, or even HEMA are embarrassingly nerdy but that boxing definitely isn't. Certianly media portrayals of martial artists (who aren't boxers) outside of action genres often uses geek stereotypes, from Say Anything to Napoleon Dynamite.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #233
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Depending on whether or not you mean a physical fight, we’re not all that rare, or even uncommon. Numerically, we probably peaked during the period 1965-1985, in terms of the nation as a whole, but you’ll find us most strongly represented from among those who were educated in in southern Ontario, as a general rule.

If you do mean picking a physical fight that does bend the stereotype, probably to the point where you’ve actually broken the stereotype. Fiercely nationalistic Canadians who obsess over their heritage rarely feel the urge to pick a physical fight because they are supremely confident to the point where they feel that a physical fight “proves nothing.” On the other hand, Jeremy Slater’s portrayal of Sgt. O’Neil in the breakfast scene from The Devil’s Brigade is usually considered "spot on" as the basic solution for Canada’s “problem children.”
True and there is more heritage to obsess over then some realize. But there is a stereotype that Canadians are Americans that never get angry for some reason.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:58 AM   #234
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't that's the case here. Most people think things like the SCA, LARPS, or even HEMA are embarrassingly nerdy but that boxing definitely isn't. Certianly media portrayals of martial artists (who aren't boxers) outside of action genres often uses geek stereotypes, from Say Anything to Napoleon Dynamite.
Hmm. You seem to be grouping things differently than the way I saw them grouped. As in, IME, LARPs* and tabletop RPGs fell into the Nerdy group, while wearing plate and participating in fights using wooden swords was more linked to the Informal group (with a strong slant towards Metal culture). And the Informal/Metal culture was considered a rather different entirely, with a stereotype for physical toughness, but not for the savant-like focus on unpopular intellectual topics. If anything, swinging swords seems like a very jocky thing to do.

* == LARPS in the style of MET, i.e. without actual shooting and sword-swinging.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 10-11-2016 at 04:02 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #235
Johan Larson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
A Canadian who is fiercely nationalistic, obsessed with "heritage" and picks a fight with anyone who is perceived to have insulted his country.
Well, it's a bit awkward to be pointedly nationalistic in Canada when you're living in the shadow of Big Daddy Down South. The Americans are so rich and so numerous that they can sometimes beat us in things they barely care about.

For example, Canada is utterly mad about hockey, but when the Canadian national team plays the American national team, it's quite possible the US wins, even though hockey is only the fifth or sixth most popular sport there.
Johan Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #236
WaterAndWindSpirit

A fantasy setting where ritual cremation is the norm for disposing of bodies.

Am I the only one who's bothered by the fact that people still do not cremate bodies after dozens if not hundreds of necromancers have been recruiting soldiers for their undead armies in the local graveyards???
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:56 PM   #237
Flyndaran
Untagged

European cultures that believe in vampires invented all sorts of methods to prevent reanimation... save the obvious cremation. So it's not that unrealistic.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:17 AM   #238
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
European cultures that believe in vampires invented all sorts of methods to prevent reanimation... save the obvious cremation. So it's not that unrealistic.
Expectation of bodily resurrection at the final judgment, the belief that the body was an integral part of the self rather than just a receptacle the soul inhabits in life, the general disfavor of cremation in several Middle Eastern cultures going back to Ancient Egypt and transmitted west via Judaism and to a lesser extent Zoroastrianism, and the connection of cremation with pagan rites.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:22 AM   #239
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
A fantasy setting where ritual cremation is the norm for disposing of bodies.
Dragon Age. Humans burn their dead because intact dead bodies attract possessing demons with low standards.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:56 PM   #240
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I remember one docu that had a camera crew in Eastern Europe find a body with a stake through it's heart because there were stories that it walked the night. The middle ages haven't ended in some places. In retrospect though I wonder if it wasn't a prank the villagers were playing on the gullible Hollywooders.