Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #51
Anthony

Default Re: How to go about making an Ultra Tech Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'm just glad my home state of Oregon doesn't allow bounty hunters. They're pretty much mercenaries not bound by laws that citizens or even cops are technically required to obey.
It's not really that they have special rights, it's that skips have special lack of rights.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #52
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I didn't even think an example was necessary (though it is appreciated); it shouldn't be any great stretch of the imagination that those with power would find ways for the rules to apply to everyone else. Only a hopeful stretch that some would resist the tyranny as best as they could.
This was a failed attempt at being more concise; I originally wrote more and then edited it down. In doing so... I'm not quite sure what point I was going for. I do believe I was indeed referencing some other earlier comments.

To try again:

1) Obviously there are governments opposed to private citizens owning firearms; sometimes of any type, sometimes just specific types. Those with the correct wealth and connections can often bypass this.

2) Some governments oppose organizing anything resembling a "private army". Others are fine with it.

When the two combine, you might find that those with the correct combination of wealth and influence can field a private army while the more general citizenry cannot. Level of wealth/influence as well as the CR for the society could leave most firearms banned or more heavily regulated than something like a bow and arrow (even an ultra tech enhanced one). For a severely controlling society, it may even be a temporary loophole that the party happens to arrive in a timely fashion to exploit.

Moving from the realm of the legal to the illegal, it may be something similar, only the line is a little fuzzier; said criminals might be perfectly fine breaking the law but lack the resources to obtain firearms anyway or may be taking advantage of certain aspects of the system. If you had an even more restrictive society, for example, organized crime would likely rely heavily on construction tools and equipment that could easily function as weapons (with or without modification). There may be better examples; that one just popped into my head (and perhaps such a society would consider the capacity to build something that also needs to be similarly controlled).

So the general tone is that... no, bizarre standards that don't make much sense are not uncommon in the world. They often arise due to oversights in the law or due to people intentionally playing around with the law.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:49 PM   #53
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
When the two combine, you might find that those with the correct combination of wealth and influence can field a private army while the more general citizenry cannot.
This is a fairly standard 'warlord' type of government, to be honest.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #54
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's not really that they have special rights, it's that skips have special lack of rights.
Bounty hunters are allowed to commit all sorts of violent privacy breaking acts that would be crimes for anyone else.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:08 PM   #55
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
This is a fairly standard 'warlord' type of government, to be honest.
Which was the point I was trying to make.

No, really; the fact that it apparently wasn't obvious demonstrates my communication fail. >_<

This seems to be an environment ripe for a GURPS adventure, whichever "side" the PCs end up joining (or fighting).
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #56
jason taylor

What kind of society are we talking about? Is it for instance a giant Federation that might in fact have low TL warfare going on in fringe planets while the Patrol is busy elsewhere?
Old 07-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #57
Zeta Blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Bounty hunters are allowed to commit all sorts of violent privacy breaking acts that would be crimes for anyone else.
but only against the property and effects of the individual under bail which as Anthony points out is more a case of the bonde surrendering there rights. Prosecution and civil penalties can and are enforced for acts against others. Further these rights mirror in many ways custodial rights of parents over children. Though they do justify creating unusual circumstances that allow greater liberty in use of citizens arrest and self defense as you have a legal justification for normally unacceptable escalations. All of that is just the logical consequence of normally rarely used civil rights to engage in violence (citizens arrest, self defense, defense of others). That coupled with an increase in what is legal to do that could provoke violent response and an acceptable reason to preform those actions all lead to an apparent large increase in legal power that is mostly an illusion. Though this dose create areal substantial increase in violence preformed but we expect a like increase for private security of almost all types (which i assume you accept as legitimate).
Zeta Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bow, ultra-tech