Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
PseudoFenton

Default Re: Question about Armor Divisor & Colorblindness Disadvantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
If they're looting somewhere, he probably can't see the difference between silver, gold or copper coins.
May not be the case if the coins are clearly different sizes, gold coins often tend to be a lot smaller simply due to their higher worth per lb and high density as a metal. That said minted coins that are made of an alloy as so to make them all uniform in size would cause them issues.

They may also suffer in social situations, where failing to comment of how the queens eyes match her gems or being unable to compare the kings golden locks with that of a mountain tiger because you've no idea what colour either are really.

The inability to easily play some games would also come up form time to time, in both high and low society, as colour is often used to distinguish pieces/balls.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
With color blindness it will be more difficult to spot camouflaged things.
Actually, colorblind people have generally been found to be better at spotting camouflaged objects, though this is mostly based on studies simple red-green colorblindness. Not sure if the same would be true of the "total" colorblindness of the GURPS disadvantage.

They would, however, have a harder time applying camouflage to an object or themselves, as they can't detect a color contrast.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Actually, colorblind people have generally been found to be better at spotting camouflaged objects, though this is mostly based on studies simple red-green colorblindness. Not sure if the same would be true of the "total" colorblindness of the GURPS disadvantage.
I wouldn't think so, all you see is gradation from black to white. Just running pictures of people in camo through a b/w filter nothing seems to pop. With total colorblindness its harder to write secret messages, too.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxanik View Post
2. Colorblindness Disadvantage
My players take it because most of them see it as "free 10 points". My question is: how do I use colorblindness against them? I mean every disadvantage is there for GM to use it against player, but it seems that I can't find any methods.
Remind them that "Colorblind" in GURPS means they see in monochrome-grayscale. Dogs have better color vision than they do! (Dogs see in yellows and blues, being dichromatic.) Think of any situation where color matters in the slightest. Everything on that list? They can't do.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
I wouldn't think so, all you see is gradation from black to white. Just running pictures of people in camo through a b/w filter nothing seems to pop.
My understanding of it is that it comes from a lifetime of things having poor color contrast enhancing one's awareness of brightness and texture contrasts to compensate.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
My understanding of it is that it comes from a lifetime of things having poor color contrast enhancing one's awareness of brightness and texture contrasts to compensate.
Any non-standard color perception is going to have an advantage when dealing with camouflage designed to defeat one specific type of color perception, but what you're describing is basically someone buying Acute Vision along with colorblindness.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
That's too close to the myth that when one sense fades, the others become more acute. Some people can adapt remarkably, but most just pay more attention without increasing raw acuity.
My legally blind best friend thinks she has acute hearing as compensation. None of us have the heart to tell her the truth.

Tags
armor divisor, colorblindness