Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
foxanik

Default Question about Armor Divisor & Colorblindness Disadvantage

Hello there!
It's me again with new questions to be answered.

1. Armor Divisor
How does AD (2) works on DR 1? Is DR put down to 0 or is it still 1? What I ask is: do I round it up or down?

2. Colorblindness Disadvantage
My players take it because most of them see it as "free 10 points". My question is: how do I use colorblindness against them? I mean every disadvantage is there for GM to use it against player, but it seems that I can't find any methods.

Little info: Setting is fantasy.
foxanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
DangerousThing

Default Re: Question about Armor Divisor & Colorblindness Disadvantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxanik View Post
Hello there!

1. Armor Divisor
How does AD (2) works on DR 1? Is DR put down to 0 or is it still 1? What I ask is: do I round it up or down?

2. Colorblindness Disadvantage
My players take it because most of them see it as "free 10 points". My question is: how do I use colorblindness against them? I mean every disadvantage is there for GM to use it against player, but it seems that I can't find any methods.

Little info: Setting is fantasy.
With color blindness it will be more difficult to spot camouflaged things.

Their fashion sense might be off.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
mlangsdorf

Colorblindness in fantasy seems fairly punishing, actually.

You can't tell if that guy in armor over there is Sir Percy, the man you're supposed to be protecting from those assassins who are attacking him, or Sir Warwick, traitor to the realm. Perhaps if you could tell the difference between Sir Percy's yellow lion rampant on a field of blue heraldry and Sir Warwick's white lion rampant on a field of black heraldry, but you can't.

Remember that setting green mold on fire kills it, and setting yellow mold on fire causes the stuff to explode, and setting brown mold on fire causes it to grow.

Touching the red fields in the archmage's tower causes 4d bu damage. Touching the yellow fields while holding the passkey is the only way to disrupt them. The rare green fields heal 1 point of injury per second for 3d seconds, until they start to overload by turning brown and then they turn red. People who can tell colors have plenty of time to move their hands out of a green field as it overloads, but Colorblind people are out of luck.

Green orcs aren't particularly dangerous. Black orcs are practically unkillable.

In the civil war following the Emperor's death, your ally Vorkosigan's forces wear Imperial livery and a brown and silver armband for identification. Your enemy Vordarian's forces wear Imperial livery and a blue and yellow armband. You're delivering a payroll for Vorkosigan when you're surrounded by Imperial guardsmen with armbands, weapons drawn. What do you do?

tl;dr: If the only way to choose between a wise course of action and suicide is to be able to distinguish colors, don't be Colorblind.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
SCAR

The text in Basic covers the basics: -1 to most Merchant and Tracking rolls will come up in a Fantasy game, as might Artist.
Penalties (minimum -1, almost certainly more) to any roll where color identification is a component - Gems, Livery (Heraldry), Buttons, Doors - which covers lots of Perception(Vision) or Identification rolls.

If Red doors in a dungeon are trapped/poisoned and everyone has Colorblindness, that's going to be trouble.

If the city guards where Blue Coats, and the League of Evil wears Red Coats, and the characters are involved in a battle where both sets of people are present, and the primary identification is the color of their coats - that's going to end badly!

Foraging for food - a particular type of Red mushroom is Very Toxic, where as the Brown ones are highly nutrious and have healing properties.

Or even, 2 unlabeled potions - the Green one turns the drinker into a Gelatinous Cube, the Yellow one turns them into a Dragon!
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Colorblindness Disadvantage
My players take it because most of them see it as "free 10 points". My question is: how do I use colorblindness against them?
Use:
  • Colour-coded dragons, knowledge of an attack before it happens is useful.
  • Traps which require the pressing/avoidance of certain coloured things, more so in areas where other PCs can't easily ID things for them.
  • Roaming Knights from different (sometimes hostile) regions, who all bear their heraldic symbols on banners and shields etc... but are most easily IDed via the colour of those symbols - meaning they'll need to be a lot closer for your colourblind PCs to ID them.
  • Labeless potions which are IDed primarily by their colour (also consistency/ temperament, so colourblind PCs may be able to tell a few apart, but not easily).
  • Magical text has a small but vital colour based syntax to it, making the reading of magical scrolls dependant on being able to distinguish between colours.
  • Flowers/berries, bugs and reptiles are often naturally colour-coded to warn predators off from eating them (along with poisons or other harmful substances) - if they otherwise look very similar to common edible/harmless versions then you will get ill very quickly whilst living off the land.

Or, if you really can't work in any reasonable drawbacks, then smack your PCs around the back of the head and ban it (or make it a quirk/feature for a little character depth that's mostly irrelevant to the campaign).
Old 08-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
Hemlock

How to make Colorblindness work against them ?

The PC is huddled over a bomb, desparately trying to figure out how to disarm the thing ... the radio on his shoulder squawks ... "Agent Dumbass, the manual says the next step in disarming the bomb is to cut the RED wire. I repeat, cut the RED wire."

What does the PC do ? Roll randomly ...
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Hello there!

1. Armor Divisor
Round down.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post

Round down.
Specifically, see Armor Divisors and Penetration Modifiers (p. B378): "Round DR down. Minimum DR is 0."
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

As for Colorblindness, it's an excuse to hand out -1 whenever you decide that color might enter the equation. You could even apply this to rolls to hit a monster's vital areas in combat, if marked by a pattern of scales, and to things like the Will roll to disbelieve a Simple Illusion or the IQ roll to resist being harmed by a Phantom spell, because the caster can get away with more errors. Remember: This is a serious and rare problem, not simple red-green colorblindness.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
gilbertocarlos

If they're looting somewhere, he probably can't see the difference between silver, gold or copper coins.
-1 to spot ambushes.
-1 on many skills.

"Remember, our guys will be wearing a blue surcoat, their guys wear red surcoats".
If they try to look at emblems and things like that, it wastes the turn and calls for a Per roll. Wasting one turn without knowing which soldier is trying to kill you and which is trying to help you is very bad. If they attack everyone, then everyone will attack them.
If he tries a "Rapid Perception", roll with -4, if he tries All-Out-Perception, roll with +4.
Obs-Roll Per in secret, any critical failure means he is attacking his own troops.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor divisor, colorblindness