Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Tetrachromacy & Pentachromacy

It would likely cause problems as things don't look the same to you as they do to normals. Realistic images would look wrong for example.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It would likely cause problems as things don't look the same to you as they do to normals. Realistic images would look wrong for example.
That's a bonus if the images are adversarial, like camoflage.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Definitely, but that also works with common "color blindness" too. Things meant to work for the majority don't for the minority, for good and bad.

I think my lifemate may be weakly tetrachromatic. She sees differences in shades that I and her friends don't. While my visual acuity sucks, my color perception is good. It caused her a bit of irritation in art school.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Assuming it's not doing spectrum matching, either by design, or by just using the same material for the camouflage as what you're trying to hide behind. Also, anything that looks weird to a tetrachromat has a decent chance of also looking different to some trichromats, because there's variance in response curves for the three cone types, and a tetrochromat just has two different variants on one of those types.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
Xplo

Problem is, that fourth color sensitivity isn't good for much. Yes, they have a little more green sensitivity than trichromats, and they may be able to tell the difference between a "true" green and one that's made up of a mix of nearby frequencies, and so sometimes they might notice that a pigment looks "fake". But that has very little practical use. It's not going to let them magically pick out decent camouflage, or divine the health of plants or anything like that.

Now, if they had a receptor that was sensitive in the near IR or near UV, that would be a different matter...
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, pentachromacy, tetrachromacy, vision