Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #1
tbone

Default More DFRPG questions: Bonus damage, omens, scrap, and flex armor

More questions, for any souls kind enough to weigh in:

1) In Monsters, hobgoblins and orcs have saw-toothed falchions that appear to inflict normal damage, +1 HP follow-up bleeding damage for the rough edge.
Is this special ability of saw-toothed weapons covered somewhere in GURPS rulesdom, or is this a one-off rule?
(If the latter: No complaints here; I like my standardized, unified rules at least as much as the next geek, but one-off oddities aren't out of place in the DF genre. That said: If saw-toothed weapons offer this damage bonus for free, won't every PC want one?)

2) Also in Monsters, skeletons appear to do thr damage (1d-1 for ST11) with a small shield, which looks fine. But they also appear to do thr damage with a "Bony Claw", when a punch should be thr-1 damage. Brawling skill isn't high enough to account for the extra damage.
Is there something that accounts for the extra damage? Maybe it's the "bony" that does it; is that a part of skeleton-related rules elsewhere in GURPS? (It really doesn't matter; just curious.)

3) What is the clerics' trait Divine Omens (14 pts) built fr... Never mind, I just found it: Oracle (BS 72). Next...

4) Exploits 16, under "Scrap", says: "Make one Scrounging roll for the party at the adventure’s end. Success means the junk might be of some value to someone. Failure indicates it really is garbage."

Is the intent here that a) the PCs roll Scrounging while surveying the ruins of dungeon they've defeated, to determine whether there's anything worth hauling back to town; or b) the PCs first haul the scrap back to town, then roll Scrounging to determine whether it's worth something?

(I'm pretty sure it's the former; it makes sense. But should Anyone Official wish to chime in with "Yes, doofus, that should be obvious...")

5) Am I missing something, or does DFRPG totally leave out rules for flexible armor & blunt trauma? (Given the modest armor DR available in this low-tech setting, leaving these out would seem understandable.)

Thanks, all –

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: More DFRPG questions: Bonus damage, omens, scrap, and flex armor

1 and 2 are "one offs". If you want an under the hood though...

For the Sawtooth Falchion it's "Orcy Weapons", bandued about a few years ago on the forums. I think it's +1CF and does +1 damage only when wielded by Goblinkin.

The skeles probably just have a level or two of Striking ST (Only for claws).

The scrap rules come straight from DF, and it's "roll after returning to town with all the garbage". It covers those classic party shenanigans like "Well gang, we've half a ton of space on the cart unused and this dungeon is clean... we can strip the torch holders, door accessories, portcullises, and stuff... those are worth something right?"

Quote:
Am I missing something, or does DFRPG totally leave out rules for flexible armor & blunt trauma?
They are gone. Which means when that Barbarian get's to DR 3 (Tough Skin) his fellow bar-fight participants really start to hate him... (or they just stop punching and start with the improvised weapons)
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
More questions, for any souls kind enough to weigh in:

1) In Monsters, hobgoblins and orcs have saw-toothed falchions that appear to inflict normal damage, +1 HP follow-up bleeding damage for the rough edge.
Is this special ability of saw-toothed weapons covered somewhere in GURPS rulesdom, or is this a one-off rule?
(If the latter: No complaints here; I like my standardized, unified rules at least as much as the next geek, but one-off oddities aren't out of place in the DF genre. That said: If saw-toothed weapons offer this damage bonus for free, won't every PC want one?)
I'm pretty sure the only "publication history" on that kind of thing is out of the thread on funky ethnic keen fantasy weapon modifiers from the main GURPS forum a year or two back. Written by Kromm at the time, along with some other fun ideas. Can't find it at the moment, but I believe it was Orcish although I can't remember the exact mechanics (Kromm and I both posted in the thread, may help with Google search). I seem to recall that it definitely comes with social penalties.

Quote:
2) Also in Monsters, skeletons appear to do thr damage (1d-1 for ST11) with a small shield, which looks fine. But they also appear to do thr damage with a "Bony Claw", when a punch should be thr-1 damage. Brawling skill isn't high enough to account for the extra damage.
Is there something that accounts for the extra damage? Maybe it's the "bony" that does it; is that a part of skeleton-related rules elsewhere in GURPS? (It really doesn't matter; just curious.)
Nope, it's the "Claw" that does it. That's Blunt Claws right there I'm going to bet.

Quote:
Is the intent here that a) the PCs roll Scrounging while surveying the ruins of dungeon they've defeated, to determine whether there's anything worth hauling back to town; or b) the PCs first haul the scrap back to town, then roll Scrounging to determine whether it's worth something?

(I'm pretty sure it's the former; it makes sense. But should Anyone Official wish to chime in with "Yes, doofus, that should be obvious...")
I'd actually go with the latter, representing as much finding a buyer for your junk as anything. You really only have to take a long look at ebay to see that someone somewhere will buy almost anything - the problem is are they here to buy your stuff right now?

Quote:
5) Am I missing something, or does DFRPG totally leave out rules for flexible armor & blunt trauma?
Didn't miss anything, it's been nixed.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Nope, it's the "Claw" that does it. That's Blunt Claws right there I'm going to bet.
Oh right. I always forget about claw options.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
ravenfish

There's Orcish Sawtooth Blades in Dungeon Fantasy Treasures 1 under Ethnic Cool Gear that do an additional +1 injury after wounding modifiers, at a +1 cost factor on any cutting weapon. I presume that's the source of the goblins' weapon quality.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Neither one really, though the second is closer. You are assumed to fill a cart; the scrounging roll determines whether you filled the cart with actually valuable stuff, or just junk.
Quote:
5) Am I missing something, or does DFRPG totally leave out rules for flexible armor & blunt trauma?
It kind of leaves out any situations where it's relevant -- there are no DF flexible armors that have DR 6+, and there are no arm lock, neck snap, or wrench limb attacks (for some reason, flexible armor gets normal DR against constriction attacks).

Last edited by Anthony; 06-25-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Neither one really, though the second is closer. You are assumed to fill a cart; the scrounging roll determines whether you filled the cart with actually valuable stuff, or just junk.
Well, they have to haul the junk back. That's rather required. Actually it's implied you get back to town before the adventure ends, and you roll at the "end of the adventure"...

Really it's simplifying the way DF does it which is two rolls, the Scrounging roll to find something valuable, and the Current Affairs roll to find a buyer. Since in DF they can try selling the junk every week in town (with yet a third skill roll, Propaganda).

Quote:
It kind of leaves out any situations where it's relevant -- there are no DF flexible armors that have DR 6+...
A Dwarf (DR 1) or Half-Ogre (DR 1) Barbarian (DR 3) wearing leather armor (DR 2)... or really expensive Dragonhide (DR 6+).

Also Mail (DR 4/2) with Leather (DR 2) or Spider Silk (DR 2) under layered.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:58 AM   #8
tbone

Thanks, all, for the answers. Yep, there's saw-toothed weapons in Dungeon Fantasy Treasures 1; good find. (It's fun to see how DFRPG picks up interesting little bits and pieces from the DF line and elsewhere.)

It's also a good deal; at just CF +1, I think every fighter is going to want saw-toothed weapons. (Hey, it works in genre; think of it as janky saw teeth on cheap orc blades, and swoopy/spiky "fantasy blade" accouterments on expensive PC blades.)

Skeleton hands: Blunt Claws isn't listed, but it certainly makes sense. Let's assume it's secretly a trait of the skellies. Extra damage accounted for.

Scrap: Hm, I'm really not sure now what the rule's intent is – i.e., whether the Scrounging roll is made at the dungeon (no need to load the wagon if you fail there) or back in town (load 'er up now and take your chances later). Besides, I suppose if a GM really cared, he'd want to make it a matter of both a Scrounging roll (to successfully collect lots of stuff) and a Merchant roll (to sort the valuable junk from the worthless junk), maybe with both rolls affecting the final selling price in town...

Well. Maybe I'll save that sort of pondering for a Scrapyards & Scavengers RPG someday. (Tag line: "Low, low fantasy" : )

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
ArchonShiva

For the ethnic cool weapons, it’s very easy to make that incompatible with Fine and Balanced and others, making it far less desirable.

As for scraps, your suggested approach would mean parties never bring home wagonloads of useless crap, which seems such a shame.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Scrap: Hm, I'm really not sure now what the rule's intent is – i.e., whether the Scrounging roll is made at the dungeon (no need to load the wagon if you fail there) or back in town (load 'er up now and take your chances later). Besides, I suppose if a GM really cared, he'd want to make it a matter of both a Scrounging roll (to successfully collect lots of stuff) and a Merchant roll (to sort the valuable junk from the worthless junk), maybe with both rolls affecting the final selling price in town...
As I mentioned, in DF it's as many as three rolls (Scavenge to find something, Current Affair to know of a buyer (no haggling), and Propaganda the next week to drum up a buyer if you failed to find one the previous week).

I suspect it was slimmed down to one roll for DFRPG for simplicity sake.