Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #1
equals

Default Going out in the real world (sometimes) (GMing)

Curious if anyone has every incorporated their game into going to a location in the real world to find clues or something.

For example the campaign is based in the real world, the party encounters an eerie camp site in game at the table. Then the GM makes things interesting...the party has to go to the campsite location in real life to search for clues (pre-planted) to determine where to go to advance the story line. This also gives the players some familiarity to the site if there was an encounter.

What does everyone think of this idea? Has anyone tried this before?
equals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Going out in the real world (sometimes) (GMing)

I like to keep my tabletop and LARP separate, I didn't like to even play in the tabletop sessions of the LARP I was last in.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:05 AM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I like to keep my tabletop and LARP separate...
Ditto. Ish.

I did once "tabletop" a LARP in that we spoke in character whilst sitting around in a party room at a Denny's after game... so... kinda.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:45 AM   #4
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by equals View Post
Curious if anyone has every incorporated their game into going to a location in the real world to find clues or something.

For example the campaign is based in the real world, the party encounters an eerie camp site in game at the table. Then the GM makes things interesting...the party has to go to the campsite location in real life to search for clues (pre-planted) to determine where to go to advance the story line. This also gives the players some familiarity to the site if there was an encounter.

What does everyone think of this idea? Has anyone tried this before?
I think it sounds like a lot of work to add a series of absolute chores to an otherwise interesting gaming session.

First you have to set up a campsite, then you have to find clues, then you have to make sure the clues aren't disturbed by weather, then you have to take the party to the campsite which is inconvenient travel time not spent gaming, then they have to search a strange place is possibly poor lighting, in the hopes of finding the clues you planted...

Also, any characters with points in Search skills now have it wasted, because the players do their own searching now.

To me it just sounds like an exercise in frustration.

As for giving familiarity with the area in case there was an encounter, you can use a map - less work, less time spent driving or hiking, less chance of having to endure miserable weather.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
Maz

LARP = Live Action Roleplay. And is exactly what you describe. Being there yourself.

I have played a lot of traditional table RPG and LARPs and enjoy both. And I agree with the others, that I prefer to keep those two separate. They require different mindsets to get into the spirit of.

One exception though. I am going to run a Zombie Survival game where the players are going to play themselves. When a zombie apocalypse happens. The things starts (ingame) as we are meeting to play a roleplaying game at my house. And somestuff will go down (zombie-wise in my house). So since the players play "themself" and the location is "the place we play at". We ARE going to do some "on the scene semi-LARPING. For instance if they hear strange noises from the basement. I would have them go down there if they want to investigate. Or if they want to go outside to see if there are coming any zombies. I would have them actually look outside to give them an idea of how frigging dark it gets at night out here in the countryside.

But that's an extremely specific situation. And I have cleared it with the players beforehand. And one already mentioned that it was cool, as long as we didn't have to actually leave the house. Which I think is a fair statement.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
Captain Joy

I love the idea. I don’t LARP, so I would be intrigued by getting to do a bit of it during a tabletop game.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by equals View Post
I have occasionally asked players to act out complex sets of moves when I can't make sense of their descriptions, but this is simply an aid to communication, rather than a method of adding atmosphere.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote