Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #41
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Backed, looking forward to dead tree format RPG goodness. The UK printing makes the shipping costs non-painful.
I can't think of any good questions to ask though so I'll just a baaad question.
At what stage of funding are we likely to see a Dire Ram?
The dire ram is mostly likely, to be honest, at the late stages. I was creature-heavy in Hall of Judgment: 30-ish critters in 128 pages; about 1/4 of the book. At the currently-planned 96-page initial point, a maximum of two dozen pages would be called for if I stick to that format.

The easiest place to sneak in the Dire Ram would be the first stretch goal at 112 pages, or $16,000. If we hit the 128-page count at $20K, I can guarantee it's there.

I'll put it in for fun if I can fit it. Some of the things that are not currently in the book, such as sample characters, may wind up displaced first for content, information on what different actors in the setting want, and such material. I'm hopefully a few hard-workin' days from understanding my creature requirements.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #42
DouglasCole

At backer request, I've investigated and decided to offer special bookmarks as an add-on to the campaign.

New Add-on: Fantastic Dungeon Grappling Bookmarks

Whether you're using the Fantastic Dungeon Grappling short set of rules from Hall of Judgment, or the forthcoming Fantastic Dungeon Grappling book that will expand on them, keep track of your grappling with these handy bookmarks.

Available all over the world, you will be able to order them in Backerkit. For players, it's a great way to keep track of how badly you're being restrained. For GMs, you can get several and use them to track monsters.

They will be printed on 16-point/350gsm glossy paper stock, and laminated so that you can use them with dry-erase markers . . . frequently.

See the sample layout over on the Kickstarter Page.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #43
b-dog

Could Elder Things be incorporated into Nordvorn? If so how would they fit in? I feel the lack of psionics in DF rpg is a big bummer.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #44
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Could Elder Things be incorporated into Nordvorn? If so how would they fit in? I feel the lack of psionics in DF rpg is a big bummer.
They could be incorporated by a GM willing to do the work. An early draft of Dragon Heresy actually had aberrations/elder ones in it, but I decided when I was refining the setting that not EVERYTHING needs Lovecraftian elements built in. Porting them in would be easy.

More broadly, with small exceptions, my mandate/license is to support the existing game. While I was given a nod to the Wilderness and Grappling rules for HoJ, that was mostly because they were already written, and the key bit of that project: a low-risk look at what interest an adventure would bring.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #45
Dalin

Quote:
Could Elder Things be incorporated into Nordvorn? If so how would they fit in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
They could be incorporated by a GM willing to do the work. . . . Porting them in would be easy.
I could easily imagine inserting forgotten Elder Sites into the mountains, buried by a glacier for millennia, only now beginning to thaw. Nearby folks might be tainted or may form a cult. If the game is more maritime, have the elder things rising beneath the waves (is there an ocean nearby? I can't remember).

Perhaps Lake Odin's powers come from the seals that the All Father (and/or relatives) placed on a submerged Elder site long ago. Those seals might begin to fail, with the first evidence being a faltering of the magical influence that the lake produces. PCs need to fight off an incursion of Elder fish people, travel to a holy site of the All Father to find out what's going on, go get the magical knicknacks required, and then (with the help of potent magic from the God of Wind and Sea), descend into the depths to renew the seals. I dare say new sagas will be sung...
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:40 PM   #46
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
They could be incorporated by a GM willing to do the work. An early draft of Dragon Heresy actually had aberrations/elder ones in it, but I decided when I was refining the setting that not EVERYTHING needs Lovecraftian elements built in. Porting them in would be easy.

More broadly, with small exceptions, my mandate/license is to support the existing game. While I was given a nod to the Wilderness and Grappling rules for HoJ, that was mostly because they were already written, and the key bit of that project: a low-risk look at what interest an adventure would bring.
I understand. I just thought the way the faerie were done by giving them faerie veil powers was really good so I would have been interested to see what kinds of cool powers Lovecraftian Elder Things would have been given.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #47
DouglasCole

Quote:
I understand. I just thought the way the faerie were done by giving them faerie veil powers was really good so I would have been interested to see what kinds of cool powers Lovecraftian Elder Things would have been given.
Appreciate it. It would be a fun graft, too. And given the world history, an easy insertion.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:31 PM   #48
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Perhaps Lake Odin's powers come from the seals that the All Father (and/or relatives) placed on a submerged Elder site long ago. Those seals might begin to fail, with the first evidence being a faltering of the magical influence that the lake produces. PCs need to fight off an incursion of Elder fish people, travel to a holy site of the All Father to find out what's going on, go get the magical knicknacks required, and then (with the help of potent magic from the God of Wind and Sea), descend into the depths to renew the seals. I dare say new sagas will be sung...
The final mission will be to regroup Odin's hybrid race of seal-men that were overwhelmed by the Elder fish people so they can once again vigilantly guard the submerged seals. ;-)
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:08 AM   #49
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
The final mission will be to regroup Odin's hybrid race of seal-men that were overwhelmed by the Elder fish people so they can once again vigilantly guard the submerged seals. ;-)
If they're blue, they can be navy seals.

The fluctuating and unstable mana levels of Lake Odin are supposed to be a big deal. The mini-quest in HoJ is one way to say "oh, yeah, we fixed that." But having it be a larger deal is entirely possible.

A reason for Lake Odin to be that deep and that magical isn't part of my head canon right now, so feel free to improvise!
Old 03-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #50
b-dog

The stars are starting to align and the Divine magic that seals the node to the great city of R’lyeh is weakening in Lake Odin. Each time it weakens a pulse of mana comes forth causng the mana levels to fluctuate. Soon an extrdimensional portal will remain open and the deep ones will come forth to capture and sacrifice mortals to awaken the great Cthulhu. The forces of the Infernal will view this as the start of Ragnorak when they defeat the Divine while the Elder Things view this as a time to destroy all of Creation and return it back to chaos, destroying both Infernal and Divine alike. The PCs must find and stop the cults of deep ones from their sacrifices so that the portals do not open and hope that the stars move out of alignment.

Last edited by b-dog; 03-04-2019 at 10:10 AM.