Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2020, 01:36 AM   #1
hal

Default Affliction: Energy Reserve

Hello Folks,
Is it possible to build an Affliction that can inflict the advantage "Energy Reserve"?

The ability is such that the energy reserve can only last a finite period of time before it disappears if unused, or if used, clearly disappears upon its use.

It won't be "Talent" based in the sense that it is linked directly to talent, but is an actual "ability" that is leveled.

I'd also like to make it such that that this affliction is relatively short ranged. I don't care if the target has to make a roll to accept the affliction or not. The affliction power itself will cost Energy Reserves to utilize at a rate of 1:1.

Is this doable?

Thanks.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:17 AM   #2
Taneli

Default Re: Affliction: Energy Reserve

Like Affiiction (Beneficial advantage: Energy Reserve 10 (Special Recharge (none), -70%) +90%) [19]?

This remains for as many minutes as the target made their HT roll by and is then gone.

I wouldn't actually allow this in my games, FWIW.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:54 AM   #3
Anders

I would allow it if it cost 10 FP.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:36 AM   #4
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
Like Affiiction (Beneficial advantage: Energy Reserve 10 (Special Recharge (none), -70%) +90%) [19]?

This remains for as many minutes as the target made their HT roll by and is then gone.

I wouldn't actually allow this in my games, FWIW.
Hi Taneli,
Not sure how you built the powers or the why's of it - but THANK you!

Ultimately, the use of this "power" is such that person A (the one who has the power) can lend energy to person B, who can then use the energy reserve to cast spells.

If Person A only has an Energy reserve of 20, and he has a level 5 Affliction: Energy Reserve - he can only channel 5 of his energy reserve points to person B the first time around, then 5 more, etc - each turn. Someone who has this ability at level 10, would be able to toss out 10 energy at the same time.

So - why the (special recharge: none) and why the overall +90%?

When I tried to build this using GURPS CHARACTER ASSISTANT, it costs a cool 11 points to have an affliction that shares 1 Energy reserve point, with a HT+0 saving roll to gain the extra reserve energy. There is no skill required in the use of this affliction.

So, just hoping you can show me what went into this build and why.

Thanks again.

Hal
Old 11-08-2020, 06:05 AM   #5
Taneli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I would allow it if it cost 10 FP.
That's a very good point!

Yeah, something like:

Affliction (Beneficial Granted Advantage (Energy Reserve (Magic) 10 (Special Recharge (none), -70%), +90%; Costs Fatigue 10, -50%; Reduced Max (1/10), -15%; Magical, -10%; +15%) [12]

Possessor of such an Affliction could grant anyone within 10 yards Energy Reserve (Magical) 10. Afflicter would need pay the Fatigue cost and then hit their target with Innate Attack -roll, and the target would then make a HT roll and get the Energy Reserve 10 (Magical) for as many minutes as they made their HT roll by.

For an extra 40 points (+400%), the Afflicter could then try to hit the target repeatedly again and again to grant another 10 points of Energy Reserve on each subsequent hit and successful HT roll.

Pretty potent stuff.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #6
Taneli

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Hi Taneli,
Not sure how you built the powers or the why's of it - but THANK you!

Ultimately, the use of this "power" is such that person A (the one who has the power) can lend energy to person B, who can then use the energy reserve to cast spells.

If Person A only has an Energy reserve of 20, and he has a level 5 Affliction: Energy Reserve - he can only channel 5 of his energy reserve points to person B the first time around, then 5 more, etc - each turn. Someone who has this ability at level 10, would be able to toss out 10 energy at the same time.

So - why the (special recharge: none) and why the overall +90%?

When I tried to build this using GURPS CHARACTER ASSISTANT, it costs a cool 11 points to have an affliction that shares 1 Energy reserve point, with a HT+0 saving roll to gain the extra reserve energy. There is no skill required in the use of this affliction.

So, just hoping you can show me what went into this build and why.

Thanks again.

Hal
The build is just that, nothing more. The reason I went with the Special Recharge -limitation for the ability granted by the Affliction is that you specified on the request that the points go away a) after a while, or b) after they're used. It's all Basic Set and Powers -level stuff.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
Anders

Details on his build:

Energy Reserve costs 3 points/level, so 10 ER is 30 points. No recharge is -70% which makes the cost 9 points (30*0.3). That gives a +90% modifier on Affliction, which has a base cost of 10 points/level, so [19]. I would probably add a few modifiers to make it like a Buff from Sorcery, but that's mostly cosmetic.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
zoncxs

Energy Share
Cost: 7/10/12/15/17/20/22/25/28/31/34

You can give your target an ER pool equal to the amount of ER you spend. You can give this pool to anyone within 10 yards of you. This pool lasts for 60 seconds or until they use the ER, which ever comes first.

Energy Share 1: Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage, Energy Reserve 1, +10%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Reduced Duration 1/3, -10%; Increased 1/2D, 10x, +15%; Reduced Range 1/10, -30%; PM, ‑10%; Cost ER 1, -5%) [7]
Cost of ER goes up by 1 each level.

Each level is just an A.A. of the others. So level 3 is just:

Energy Share 1 [2*] + Energy Share 2 [2*] + Energy Share 3 [8] = [12]
*A.A. cost, rounded up.

After level 9 there is a cost anomaly. Energy Share 8 = Energy Share 10 because ER 9 cost the same as ER 10.

Cost per level, separated:
Energy Share 1 = 7
Energy Share 2 = 7.5
Energy Share 3 = 8
Energy Share 4 = 8.5
Energy Share 5 = 9
Energy Share 6 = 9.5
Energy Share 7 = 10
Energy Share 8 = 10.5
Energy Share 9 = 11
Energy Share 10 = 10.5
Energy Share 11 = 11

Energy Reserve (Special Recharge, -70%) [0.9/lvl]
lvl = cost
1 = .9 = 1
2 = 1.8 = 2
3 = 2.7 = 3
4 = 3.6 = 4
5 = 4.5 = 5
6 = 5.4 = 6
7 = 6.3 = 7
8 = 7.2 = 8
9 = 8.1 = 9
10 = 9 = 9

Last edited by zoncxs; 11-10-2020 at 09:40 AM.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:24 PM   #9
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
I'd also like to make it such that that this affliction is relatively short ranged.
If it has to be short range, I think you can get a perk that makes it so if you are touching someone, they can draw upon your reserves as much as you allow. Affliction definitely works better if it's a matter of further range and/or letting them wait to use it, though.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:22 AM   #10
hal

Ultimately, what I'm looking to do is this:

Energy Reserves loaned out, recover at a rate of 1 per minute. That seems to be a base cost regardless of how many "points" get lent out.

I'd also like to make it so that it is leveled such that the player can buy one level of "Channel Essence" (what the Energy Reserve is called), and I'm hoping it is NOT overly cheap, but runs about 5 to 10 points per level.

Ideally? If it could be set up as an area effect (must be within a given number of yards - what ever we can get it to that is say, within 3 yards, maybe 5?), does not require any to hit roll, nor does the target need to make a HT saving roll to gain its use - that would be IDEAL.

Some of the Mageborn or "Gifted" as they're called, can only hand out 1 or 2 essence points per turn, and the number who are participating in the "circle" goes up as a result of that. There are two rolls involved when it comes to casting the spells. One to get the spell to work at all, and one to dismiss the energy after casting. If the energy is not dismissed, it can result in some unfortunate incidents later on (ie within 24 hours) where (for instance - a cyclone was originally cast, then a Cyclone will appear randomly within 24 hours without being controlled! Alternatively, a random spell that the caster knows can be cast!).

This was the one thing I could not convert from Eden Studio's WITCHCRAFT/ARMAGEDDON series books.

There are some FUN things to be enjoyed about CJ Carella's game universe for either of WITCHCRAFT or ARMAGEDDON (WITCHCRAFT can be subsumed into ARMAGEDDON, but can also be a different game universe. Armageddon allows players to Fight the elder gods all the while Angels and Demons fight against each other or even join forces against the Elder Gods. Characters can be Demi-Gods or Nephilim or just plain ordinary human beings. Then there are the gifted ones - the mageborn.

I won't spoil it for anyone if they've never been exposed to the material - but if you're interested, the PDF is for the first in the series is available for free at Drivethru.com

WITCHCRAFT by Eden Studios

Probably the best way to describe the magic system is that it is most like "Path Magic" from GURPS but with multiple paths. Each spell requires Essence to cast (like fatigue in GURPS for GURPS MAGIC) and the more energy you pour into some of the spells, the greater the effects there will be.