Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #21
Tessen

Default Re: Best super power to have in WW2?

Tunneling...make an undersea tunnel from the allied countries straight into Berlin and to get out the prisoners held in the camps on the way.
Tessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:08 AM   #22
Michele

What about setting a maximum in GURPS CPs? That way, one could compare various alternatives. Say, a 300-point super, at TL6 and for a historical WWII setting, for land, air, sea operations, behind-the-lines ops, and the home front?
Old 11-02-2020, 07:33 AM   #23
Tessen

Yeah that sounds good but maybe make them, I dunno weaker to start ,like just discovering the powers and not knowing their limits?.
Tessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #24
Donny Brook

The question is so open ended, I find it difficult to choose. But whatever base power I were to select, I'd want to have Time Spanning on it.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #25
Aldric

Jumper (Time). You can redo some stuff if needed, or most likely skip to the end
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:50 PM   #26
zoncxs

Super Luck! 7 (wildcard power; game time +0%) [2800]

Every in game day, you can dictate the results of any die roll you make, 60 times per day. You can also use any probability ability you can convince your GM of, up to 700 points worth. THIS IS EXTREMELY POWERFUL, and I think this is how I would create Domino from Marvel. Using either Super Luck! or Serendipity!
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:46 AM   #27
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Quick Gadgeteer would allow you to make a lot of money inventing creative ways to kill people.
At the 300 point level, it would definitely be Quick Gadgeteer for me (plus skills and Wealth, maybe Status and a Contact Group). I could build an Iron Man suit from a few hundred dollars worth of scrounged parts in a few hours—or ultra-tech grav-cloak-armor and weapons for our soldiers, or a pocket universe, or force screens and tau shields, or warbots and nanomorphs, or metamorphosis viruses, or metatronic generators for anything, …
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #28
Micah Davis

Social Gadgeteer + Multimillionaire 3 + Necessary political skills is the obnoxious answer for a three hundred point campaign.

Um, people have already done Gadgeteer but have you considered a form of limited omniscience? Modular Ability (Cosmic) 4 is only 40 points, plus Encyclopedist! IQ-3 [3] to identify which skill to boost, and IQ 20 [200] leaves you sixty seven points for whatever you want to dump in there. Add Cultural Adaptability, Language Talent, and Morph (Cosmetic, Retains Shape) to let you pretend to be pretty much anybody, anywhere.
Micah Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #29
Michele

I think I'll be a spoilsport here. Sorry.

Some of the combinations of Powers and Advantages mentioned above are real game-changers - actually, they are world-changers.
So, if by "superpowers" we don't mean, in the WWII context, simply a stronger, tougher, faster soldier, but we're thinking of a demigod, I see only three possibilities:

- WWII and the world remain more or less as we know them, but that means these world-changers are extremely rare. That means at least 50 points sunk in the Unusual Background Advantage, but at my table, I'd say a whopping 100 points. That reduces considerably the 300-point budget.

- World-changing superpowers are relatively common. The Unusual Background drops to 25 or even 10 points. However, 1939 is nothing like what we know. With such a super in every city, this is probably TL8^ already.

- As a third option, Unusual Background can be capped at 25, truly wondrous superpowers are thus relatively common, but for some reason (insert pseudoscience stuff here) they all appear suddenly in 1937 or so. Thus they haven't already revolutionized the world.
That means the world is as we know it historically - until the divergence point. But it takes a brave and creative GM now. Sure the Nazis immediately recruit their nigh-magical inventors, but what about the teleportation prototype device of the University of Cracow - won't Polish commandos use it for a decapitation strike in Berlin? And what if the cellars of the Prague old ghetto are really packed with the secret Golem Division's units? This isn't going to be a WWII-with-supers, but a quickly derailing divergence.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #30
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
This isn't going to be a WWII-with-supers, but a quickly derailing divergence.
Sure is. There is an entire RPG dealing with this, Godlike. Its system isn't very good, but conversion to GURPS is quite practical.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
superpower, wwii