Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-24-2005, 06:39 PM   #21
capnq

Default Re: Okaaay... (Help with newbies and Yrth needed)

The Nomad Territories are physically far away from the Islamic lands, and would be a good place to find monsters to fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the adventurer
Oh oh I just thought of something, why not get a copy of GURPS: Religion? Surly that book would be a great resource for not botching general Muslim world views.
Actually, GURPS Religion has very little material about any specific real-world religions; Islam isn't even mentioned in the index (that I can find, anyway). GURPS Religion is mainly a toolbox for making up your own mythology.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:37 PM   #22
the adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnq
The Nomad Territories are physically far away from the Islamic lands, and would be a good place to find monsters to fight.Actually, GURPS Religion has very little material about any specific real-world religions; Islam isn't even mentioned in the index (that I can find, anyway). GURPS Religion is mainly a toolbox for making up your own mythology.
Really? I don't have the book myself so I didn't know. Still, with all the historical matterial SJG just loves to produce I figured it was the end all be all text book on real world Religion and how to use it a Campain.
the adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:17 PM   #23
LoneWolf23k

If you can find GURPS Arabian Adventures, it has a far more in-depth look at Islam and the culture that spawned it.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:43 PM   #24
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Me What I would do is hunt up ther old Pyrimd arctical about Playing Durring the Barnstrom. Where the are charcter from mediaive earth the are "summoned" to Yrth by the Orc-bane, and are amone the first humans to arrive the the area.

you can the start small with basic suvivl, foundation of a community, first encouters with monsters right out mythology. and plenty of Orcs ;)

This what the players know will be pritty much what a human from that time pierod. and you will not have to worry about anythin going into a muslium, or any other relious area the your players might have problems is becuse the could simple be none for them to encounter yet.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:59 PM   #25
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
I think your friend needs to lighten up. I'm a devoted Christian and I don't throw hissy fits when my religion is warped by a Fantay Setting. Great that he's all for his Religion, but maybe Roleplaying isn't the best hobby choise for him.
Did you read lots of fantasy novels before you started gaming? Or did your deep religiosity came after you started gaming? Or did you start gaming when you were very young, and all your friends did it?

He is new to role-playing, doesn't completely understand the concept yet, and has had little to do with fantasy apart from watching the Lord of the Rings movies. So if he has some troubles with some particular concepts of particular games, I'd like to be accomodating, at least until he gets more comfortable with it all...
Old 02-25-2005, 02:09 AM   #26
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
maybe Roleplaying isn't the best hobby choise for him.
Roleplaying is the best hobby choice for everyone.
zorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:15 AM   #27
thona
Banned

This still does not change the fact that he needs - fast - to get used to the fact that in a fantasy game he is going to play around with the concepts of religion in a way that has nothing to do with his personal believes. And that no well knoen fantasy world is identical with the current world. Even on Yrth - islam is not the islam he knows today. The islamic people were separated from our world some time ago, and things will hav developped differently.

Real world religions are great inspirations for religious believes in fantasy worlds, and having a real world of historic counterpart makes al ot of things easier for the game master (like improvisation - sure, it may not be islam, but there are enough "well known" things about islam that I can just make up some things fast and get a familiar feeling).

Playing with a real world religion fundamentalist or radical is not fun in any role playing game. As a matter of fact I would have a discussion about the topc with him and then would get into his character NOT being islamistic on purpose. Otherwise he better starts reading some more books first. If he can not leave the bounds of his religion and leave this world he lives in behind, he will not have a lot of fun in a role playing game.
thona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:24 AM   #28
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by thona

Playing with a real world religion fundamentalist or radical
That may be a bit hard. Jürgens friend does not appear to be a fanatic, more a devout person. Which is not the same thing.
Still, on the whole, I agree (and that's the point I tried to make in a related thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen
He is new to role-playing, doesn't completely understand the concept yet
Then perhaps the most important thing would be to explain roleplaying to him? I guess if he understands the point of a RPG (another world, another life, both not real) his objections will be reduced.
zorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:40 AM   #29
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Then perhaps the most important thing would be to explain roleplaying to him? I guess if he understands the point of a RPG (another world, another life, both not real) his objections will be reduced.
That's always the problem with role-playing - its basic concepts are hard to explain, but easy to show. I want him to be able to make that first step until everything "clicks". If I have to be a bit accomodating of his religion, so be it. I expect that most of the problems will fall by the wayside once the campaign starts picking up steam...
Old 02-25-2005, 05:13 AM   #30
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Roleplaying is the best hobby choice for everyone.
Don't be silly.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm