Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2015, 02:52 AM   #1
Atreyu_Hibiki

Default Potions and Elixirs Thread!

Post your elixirs here! If there's enough response, I'll compile them into a nifty pdf! (Just a small one, though: GURPS Advantages was a nightmare! If the "book" gets more than 10 pages long, it'll be made into multiple "books".

Recently, in a different thread, a question was posed regarding existent potions. Several responses gamely directed the OP to various sources, but the one that caught my eye was the article Metatronic Generators, included in Pyramid 3/46, Weird Science. (Go buy that issue if you haven't yet!)

That article includes rules that can be used to transform any ability possible in GURPS to an object, complete with price.

Here is a simplified version, only for use as elixirs (go buy the article to make anything else!):

METATRONIC ELIXIRS
Each dose of elixir comes in a SM-8 container, is good for one use, and is self-powered. (No batteries here!) In TL3 (or Dungeon Fantasy), this comes to $70 per character point, or $140 per point in TL4.

Modifiers for various elixir forms:

Potion: (Blood Agent, -40%; Triggered Delay, until potion is drunk, +50%; Melee Attack, reach C, cannot parry, -35%; Magical, -10%): -35%

Grenade Potion: (Muscle-powered Ranged, -10%; Triggered Delay, until thrown, +50%; Nuisance Effect, must hit DR 3 to trigger, -5%; Magical, -10%) +25%

Powder: (Blood Agent, -40%; Onset, 2d minutes, -10%; Triggered Delay, until powder is consumed, +50%; Melee Attack, reach C, cannot parry, -35%; Magical, -10%): -45%

Pastille: (Area Effect, 1, +50%; Respiratory Agent, +50%; Onset, 2d seconds, -5%; Persistent, +40%; Triggered Delay, until pastille is lit, +50%; Nuisance Effect, unusable if tablet gets wet, -5%; Magical, -10%): +170%

Ointment: (Contact Agent, -30%; Triggered Delay, until ointment is touched, +50%; Melee Attack, reach C, cannot parry, -35%; Magical, -10%): -25%

Don't use this one until we work it out, as I'm not certain of how to do it RAW:
Utility Poison: (Triggered Delay, until used, +50%; Follow-Up, appropriate weapon, +0%; Blood Agent, -30%; Magical, -10%) +10%
This one isn't strictly by the book, as blood agent and follow up are mutually exclusive, but both are really appropriate. If the elixir doesn't reach the bloodstream it won't trigger. Also, not sure about doing follow-up as a variable modifier - figured that the negative modifiers from melee attacks and positive modifiers from, say, an arrow would cancel out and left it at 0%. Please correct me if there's a better way to do this one.

Example elixirs:
Icebind Potion Binding 12 (Engulfing, +60%, Potion, -35%) [30]
Only the foolish would imbibe this glowing ice-blue liquid! Upon consumption, the victim becomes encased in ice, requiring a successful ST 12 roll to break free, or be chipped out by their allies. See B40 for more details.
$2,100 at TL3 or Dungeon Fantasy, $4,200 at TL4.

Icebind Ointment Binding 12 (Engulfing, +60%, Ointment, -25%) [33]
Those who touch this ointment become encased in ice, requiring a successful ST 12 roll to break free, or be chipped out by their allies. See B40 for more details.
$2,310 at TL3 or Dungeon Fantasy, $4,620 at TL4.

Icebind Grenade Binding 12 (Engulfing, +60%, Grenade, +25%) [45]
Those who are struck by this bottle become encased in ice, requiring a successful ST 12 roll to break free, or be chipped out by their allies. See B40 for more details.
$3,150 at TL3 or Dungeon Fantasy, $6,300 at TL4.

Icebind Pastille Binding 12 (Engulfing, +60%, Pastille, +170%) [80]
Those who are caught in the cloud of smoke generated by this pastille become encased in ice, requiring a successful ST 12 roll to break free, or be chipped out by their allies. See B40 for more details.
$5,600 at TL3 or Dungeon Fantasy, $11,200 at TL4.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:18 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Potions and Elixirs Thread!

Interesting...for what it's worth my sequel to Metatronic Generators will have a generic (surprise!) system for creating ultra-tech drugs, magical potions, psychic enhancers, nanites, etc. in it. It just needs a nice home on the Wishlist - probably Tech and Toys 3 if I can get away with it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki View Post
Oh. I don't want to step on your toes. Do you want me to take down this thread until that comes out? It's your call - I just wanted to see what people came up with.
Oh, heck no. I love people playing with my stuff. Have fun. If I see something I like I'll just ask permission and borrow it for material. :-)

I wish I had more brain cells to contribute to this - but I'm on about 50 hours sleep in 13 days so my insomnia is kicking me HARD.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-10-2015, 02:55 AM   #4
Atreyu_Hibiki

Default Love Potions!

Love Potion Number 1: Mind Control (Emotion Control, One Emotion, Love, -80%; Independent, +70%; Weaponized, -80%; Extended Duration, Permanent, +150%; Potion, -35%; Based on IQ 10, special effect, +0%; Reliable 15, +75%) [100]
Upon imbibing this potion, the subject makes a Quick Contest Will vs. IQ 25.
If the subject fails, he falls in love with the next person of the appropriate sex he sees. This effect is permanent unless counteracted by a dose of alchemical antidote, another dose of love elixir (which will cause the subject to love someone else), or the Remove Curse spell.
$7,000 in DF or TL3, $14,000 in TL4.

This is the closest I could come to the potion on page M219, which doesn't require a resistance roll at all! I made it a roll against 25, as a pretty good chance for the potion to win.
Since a potion purchased from a shop can't have an IQ to roll against, I determined that resistance rolls could default to a 10, modified by Reliable and Unreliable.
The price appears to be a far cry more expensive than the default potion! Let's see if we can't come up with something a little more in the right range.

Love Potion Number 5: Mind Control (Emotion Control, One Emotion, Love, -80%; Independent, +70%; Weaponized, -80%; Extended Duration, ×30, +60%; Potion, -35%; Based on IQ 10, special effect, +0%; Reliable 5, +25%) [30]
Upon imbibing this potion, the subject makes a Quick Contest of Will vs. IQ 15. If the subject fails, he falls in love with the next person of the appropriate sex he sees. This effect lasts for 30 minutes per point by which he lost the Quick Contest.
It may also be counteracted by a dose of alchemical antidote, another dose of love elixir (which will cause the subject to love someone else), or the Remove Curse spell.
$2,100 in DF or TL3, $4,200 in TL4.

Hm. Still pricey, but not too bad. On average, the vict- I mean subject will end up in love for several hours at least - long enough for the deliverer to, ah, leave a good impression...
I wonder if we can bring that down even more?

Love Potion Number 9: Mind Control (Emotion Control, One Emotion, Love, -80%; Independent, +70%; Weaponized, -80%; Potion, -35%; Based on IQ 10, special effect, +0%; Reliable 9, +45%) [10]
Upon imbibing this potion, the subject makes a Quick Contest of Will vs. IQ 19. If the subject fails, he falls in love with the next person of the appropriate sex he sees. This effect lasts for 1 minute per point by which he lost the Quick Contest.
It may also be counteracted by a dose of alchemical antidote, another dose of love elixir (which will cause the subject to love someone else), or the Remove Curse spell.
$700 in DF or TL3, $1,400 in TL4.

Hey, there we go! This one's perfect for those scam artists who just really need their target to have their attention diverted elsewhere, or modifiable for those combat mages out there that need out of a fight fast!
Old 08-10-2015, 03:18 AM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

PK and I fiddled around with a static number for the "Based on (Attribute)" enhancement and eventually we came to the conclusion that for character abilities it was just too power when combined with Reliable. But I wonder if it would work for gear made from metatronic generators. I shall have to ponder this. Nice write-ups by the way!

Become a Patron!
Old 08-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #6
mikeejimbo

I actually had to come up with a potion system recently(ish) for a game, and I wish I had seen this! It seems simpler than my plan, which involved Afflictions that Afflict a set of Advantages (I never included Disadvantaged). The Affliction wasn't the potion itself so much as it was "The ability to brew the potion". The Afflicted Advantages all had to have Limited Use, Takes Extra Time, Breakable, and Can Be Stolen. So basically, I used the Affliction to Afflict an Advantage that was modeled as a Gadget, and this represented the Potion. That way I could "Give" Potions to friends.

To make this particularly cumbersome, I also had Modular Abilities, Limited to Potion-Making Afflictions.
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #7
Atreyu_Hibiki

Yeah, we bashed out the "Timed Delay creates a physical object" thing way back when I was doing the GURPS Advantages book. Here's that thread: Death Cookie
Old 08-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #8
Kalzazz

My 'solution' for potions and elixirs is not very complex

1. For Magic Magic potions, there they be, use them. Ye olde potion shop will have them in stock
2. For DF potions (not Magic Magic), there they be, and a component price is kludged in somehow
3. For potions that are not DF or Magic Magic, but I feel reasonably sure should be Magic Magic, or which are created by a Quick Alchemist, pure DM fiat mixed with player collaboration is used to kludge together an effect, price, and component price etc
4. RPM Potions from shops usually come with a 1 use, self powered MG with the 'Extra Conditional' perk, thus removing the need to worry about them expiring (I am not keeping track of that as a DM!), or are transferred to the character to count against their Alchemical Limit, or can be (for a fee) come with a negotiated duration during which the alchemist won't overwrite the slot, after the duration passes it is flat RIP. Usually something like 4 hours or so to give the purchaser say time to get home and use it. Shoppers who expect to use a lot of potions often buy reusable MG potion flasks they can drop off and get refilled for just the cost of the potion straight up. Pricing as standard 'charms for hire' for the potion itself.
5. CHaracters who want to make potions for each other or themselves can do so, and can count them against their Alchemical Limit (RPM Magery + Alchemy skill)
A - Pure DM fiat house rule 1, Alchemy is Alchemy, so no RPM Alchemy vs Magic Magic Alchemy as separate skills. Optional specializations are okay.
B - Pure DM fiat house rule 2, Magery is not required for RPM Alchemy. It isn't required for Magic Magic Alchemy, so I see no reason it should be required for Magic Magic Alchemy (it causes cognitive dissonance to me if it is, like one, like the other)(you still can't get above 12 without it, but you suffer no penalty beyond that from lacking it)
C - Pure DM fiat house rule 3, RPM Alchemy benefits from RPM Magery, so Magic Magic Alchemy gets +1 per level of Magic Magic Magery (the other side of B, if RPM Alchemy gets a benefit from Magery, then so should Magic Magic Alchemy. Otherwise they are not properly similar in regards to Magery)

6. People without Quick Gadgeteer Alchemy can use the mygurps rules for people without Quick Gadgeteer Alchemy making unstable potions or the Magic Magic Rules for non Quick Gadgeteer Alchemy (but the latter will never happen, as I'm not about to DM out an entire week of 'I work on a potion'). All Professional NPC alchemists are assumed to know some variant on Quick Gadgeteer or something, as they are not assumed to spend an entire week brewing a baseline Healing Potion
7. With Quick Gadgeteer Alchemy, you can use the most desirable choice between the mygurps rules or the Magic Magic rules as you see fit, with the additional kludge that if you use the mygurps rules you have the option to pay the Non Quick Gadgeteer money amount and you get a full fledged non unstable potion the same as you get from Potion World at the market
8. Huge amounts of fussing and fury were spent trying to figure out good ways to work out formulary rules which never got anywhere and are still in a State of Flux, but current plan is roughly 'Formulary? Pah! Who needs them' for Magic Magic, as the 'eat a -6 on top of the -X whatever default' is to rough. Alternatively some kind of modular ability may be used for 'putting a point into avoiding eating the -6 somehow'
9. RPMists with Ritual Adept are heartily encouraged to take Quick Gadgeteer (Alchemy) as an alternate ability, as they overlap hugely and make a lot of sense, since both abilities are based around 'take something which is usually extremely time consuming and annoying, and make it a lot less of a fuss', so are very thematically related

Sorry, that is a lot of words to describe a very simple approach

If its not relevant Ill delete it, but since mikeejimbo described his system I figured I'd throw mine out
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:37 AM   #9
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
My 'solution' for potions and elixirs is not very complex

[Snip!]

If its not relevant Ill delete it, but since mikeejimbo described his system I figured I'd throw mine out
Not complex my eye! You're juggling like 5 systems there simultaneously, buddy! :D

Yeah, not the kind of response I expected from this thread, but I did choose to name it the Potions and Elixirs thread, not the Everyone Build Metatronic Elixirs Thread!

Clearly, all potion talk is welcome here!

If you still have write-ups for any of your kludged potions, I'd love to see 'em. Just make sure to share what you did to arrive at the stats - even if it's just "I made it up!"
Old 08-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #10
Atreyu_Hibiki

Green Mushroom: Affliction (Extra Life 1, +250%; Extra Duration, Permanent, +150%; Potion, -35%) [42]
Upon consumption, this strange green-topped mushroom gives you an extra chance to live!
DF or TL3 $3,290; TL4 $6,580

Tags
elixirs, potions