Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-01-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
Malinari

Default Munchkin Bites:Transmogrification Card

TRANSMOGRIFICATION; At any time except during combat, you may take any of your cards off the table into your hand, as long as this does not cause you to exceed your maximum hand size. Exception: if two cards are linked (e.g. Cheat and an item), you cannot pick either one up.
Power: Rank 2

Situation; It is Player A's turn. Player A has item "X" in play. Player A also has "Transmogrification" in play. Both cards are in play legally, no "Cheat" card is involved. Player A kicks down the door. The card revealed is "Curse, lose item X". Player A then attempts to take item "X" back into his hand rather than lose it to the curse. An argument over the legality of the application of the "Transmogrification" power ensues.

As the owner of the set I ruled that the curse negated Player A's ownership of the item as soon as it was revealed, and therefore he could not apply the power.

The player argues that dodging curses in this manner is the only possible intended use of the card. I find this unlikely but I am having trouble coming up with a useful strategy for the card.

So, two questions; Was I right to disallow the use of the power? and If so, can anybody give me the right strategies for this card?

Thanks in advance.
Malinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:28 AM   #2
Nixel

Default Re: Munchkin Bites:Transmogrification Card

The curse has to be resolved instantly, so yes, the item gets devoured by the curse right away. In most cases, anything that happens like this is resolved first, curses, stealing, or such.

There are lots of ways to play it, though generally I wouldn't prefer to use it as a power. The uses of it would be subtle. It would allow you to take something you have out into your hand. If you didn't want a treasure out anymore, you could take it back into your hand, to use it as a 'from your hand' discard for other things, or just to get it out of play, to avoid being affected by a curse, say if you couldn't use it at the time.

Really, the uses are complicated, and at least at a glance, mostly not very useful, but given how many different ways you could use this card, especially in a blended game, it could get very interesting.

A simple thing, as I could understand it, would it could allow you to take your class or race back into your hand, allowing you to play another one while still keeping the card, that would be one of the better uses of the card I think.
Nixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
-ScreenName-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixel View Post
The curse has to be resolved instantly, so yes, the item gets devoured by the curse right away. In most cases, anything that happens like this is resolved first, curses, stealing, or such.

There are lots of ways to play it, though generally I wouldn't prefer to use it as a power. The uses of it would be subtle. It would allow you to take something you have out into your hand. If you didn't want a treasure out anymore, you could take it back into your hand, to use it as a 'from your hand' discard for other things, or just to get it out of play, to avoid being affected by a curse, say if you couldn't use it at the time.

Really, the uses are complicated, and at least at a glance, mostly not very useful, but given how many different ways you could use this card, especially in a blended game, it could get very interesting.

A simple thing, as I could understand it, would it could allow you to take your class or race back into your hand, allowing you to play another one while still keeping the card, that would be one of the better uses of the card I think.
those are all good strategies and on top of that, if it is blended with another game, someone could draw a thief card or stealing power and before they try to steal your stuff, you can take important items into your hand.
-ScreenName- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Cheese8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ScreenName- View Post
those are all good strategies and on top of that, if it is blended with another game, someone could draw a thief card or stealing power and before they try to steal your stuff, you can take important items into your hand.
Only if they haven't rolled the die first. Once they have rolled they have activated the power and it has to be resolved first.

Other strategies include, taking a big item back into your hand, so that you can play another big item (same goes for complex items). Taking a ship, steed, hireling, Mook, Minion so that you could play a different one.
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
-ScreenName-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese8242 View Post
Only if they haven't rolled the die first. Once they have rolled they have activated the power and it has to be resolved first.

Other strategies include, taking a big item back into your hand, so that you can play another big item (same goes for complex items). Taking a ship, steed, hireling, Mook, Minion so that you could play a different one.
nice one :)
-ScreenName- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Once the Curse hits the table, it must be dealt with immediately -- either by using a Wishing Ring or other card that specifically negates the Curse, or by resolving the Curse's effects. Transmogrification cannot be used to "interrupt" a Curse.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese8242 View Post
(same goes for complex items)
Why would you do that when you can carry any number of small Items. There are no Big Items in Star Munchkin, which means that every Complex Item is therefore small. You can only use one Complex Item, but there is, by no means, any restriction on how many you can carry because Complex does not equal Big. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
Cheese8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Why would you do that when you can carry any number of small Items. There are no Big Items in Star Munchkin, which means that every Complex Item is therefore small. You can only use one Complex Item, but there is, by no means, any restriction on how many you can carry because Complex does not equal Big. . .
Opps, its been awhile since I played Star Munchkin, that's no excuse, but still. For some reason I was thinking complex worked like big items, but now that you mention it I will admit I was mistaken. Thanks for correcting me MM.
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
Malinari

Thanks for all the answers guys, I appreciate your assistance with the order of play issues and all the other stuff you answer in these forums :)

I'm still curious to hear what other uses people have found for the power, I like what I've seen so far.

In addition, can you use your transmogrification power when someone else is in combat, or is it "locked off" until they resolve their fight?
Malinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
Nixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinari View Post
In addition, can you use your transmogrification power when someone else is in combat, or is it "locked off" until they resolve their fight?
Combat means any combat, even if it is not yours. There might be some cards that use a wording pertaining to when you are in combat, but those cards tend to require it to be your turn as well to use them. I can't think of any of those off the top of my head though.
Nixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
munchkin, munchkin bites, transmogrification