Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Want lots of example of Nuisance Effects

From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
If you want to bring the price lower, I recommend Maximum Duration (from GURPS Power-Ups 8: Limitations). You could limit your ATR to only last for a matter of seconds for -75%, after which it would need five minutes to recharge (effectively restricting it to once per fight).

It would technically be double-dipping to also put Costs Fatigue on there, especially if you've limited it to under a minute, but something like "Nuisance Effect, Costs 1d FP at the end of use" (-5%) would be a reasonable addition -- one that hits the -80% maximum discount.
The -5%/1d FP one sounds reasonable. But I'd like to see a lot of examples of different Nuisance Effects. Where is that? Or should we compile a bunch of them in this thread?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:04 AM   #2
lvalero

Default Re: Want lots of example of Nuisance Effects

I second that!

Some examples I use:

-5% Can't keep paying fatigue

Normally, with "Cost fatigue" limitation, you can keep the power active one minute more after the first one paying additional fatigue.

This limitation prevents you for doing that. After the initial fatigue cost has been paid you can't keep paying fatigue. In other words, you can't keep the "power on". You need to activate again the power making again any activation roll, if required.

-5% Obvious emanation

Use for powers with emanation effect. It is obvious that you are the center and the caster of the emanation. If used with "Terminal condition: Caster disabled" then it is also obvious that, if you are removed or disabled, the emanation will end.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:29 AM   #3
Peter Knutsen
Banned

One particular kind of Nuisance Effect I'm interested in is having to roll on a random table if you get a Critical Miss, e.g. when making an Attribute+Power Talent roll to try to use your Power.

But I like them all! Keep them coming!
Old 02-02-2016, 12:48 AM   #4
lvalero

Quote:
One particular kind of Nuisance Effect I'm interested in is having to roll on a random table if you get a Critical Miss, e.g. when making an Attribute+Power Talent roll to try to use your Power.
In my DF, the Shamanic powers have "Fickle" limitation. On a critical miss, the power is "crippled" and I use the rules of B422 Duration of Crippling Injuries to assess the length of time. Instead of using HP and HT, I use Energy Reserve and Will.

There is not "permanent" crippling. Instead of that, you need to make a special pilgrimage to a spiritual place and pay $$$ to bribe the spirit again.

This is not a "Nuissance", it is a "+0% Feature".
Old 02-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Must have hands free and move them precisely -5%
Must speak clearly -5%
Each 20 points of damage blocked cost 1 FP -5%
Requires cutting yourself and using fresh blood -5%
Must consume a reasonably expensive powder -5%

Yes, I've put all of these on characters.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #6
Bruno

I've used "Use causes a self-control check against <$disadvantage>", -5% a number of times.
Works for most of the self-control disads from Bad Temper through to Uncontrollable Appetite. A similar limitation works for Phantom Voices and Flashbacks, provoking a check against the usual 6- of course.

For a Cosmic Modular Ability for "the local language": "Always ends up speaking a lower-class/criminal sociolect", -5%

Nuisance Effect, Accessibility, Trigger, and Temporary Disadvantage are sort of the Bucket limitations - you can get a lot done with them because they're big buckets of effects. Because they're broad, some peoples interpretations as to which bucket a given limitation goes in will obviously differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Must speak clearly -5%
I'd call the above two Accessibilities instead of Nuisance Effects, personally. I distinguish based on Accessibility being about conditions for activation that aren't covered by Trigger (Consumables) or Costs FP (another kind of consumable).

Quote:
Each 20 points of damage blocked cost 1 FP -5%
Ooo. For DR, I presume?

Quote:
Requires cutting yourself and using fresh blood -5%
Must consume a reasonably expensive powder -5%
I'd generally call these Triggers - but Trigger comes with a Duration cap baked in that you don't necessarily need with an Accessibility. Depending on what's going on with the first (the cutting one), I might call that a combination of (Immediate) Preparation Required and whichever of Accessibility and Trigger - if there's a ritual, for example.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'd call the above two Accessibilities instead of Nuisance Effects, personally. I distinguish based on Accessibility being about conditions for activation that aren't covered by Trigger (Consumables) or Costs FP (another kind of consumable).
Yeah, there's a strong case to be made there.

Quote:
Ooo. For DR, I presume?
Yep, for DR. It was for a racial power set involving force fields, telekinetic hammers, and telekinetic blades. They fought each other by hammering each other into the exhaustion on the shields. Old set of images I got when i was 14 or something. One of the first things I tried to model in gurps.

Though there is a version of it where the effect is applied to the parry of the melee attack.

Quote:
I'd generally call these Triggers - but Trigger comes with a Duration cap baked in that you don't necessarily need with an Accessibility. Depending on what's going on with the first (the cutting one), I might call that a combination of (Immediate) Preparation Required and whichever of Accessibility and Trigger - if there's a ritual, for example.
Yeah, the second one is a textbook trigger. I'd completely forgotten about that.

The one about using your own blood I considered a nuisance effect because he had a limited amount of it, it hurt, and it was creepy. I thought about using costs HP, but that just didn't work the way I wanted it to. the limitation was that he had a limited amount of his own blood and had to expose himself to all sorts of infection and so forth to use his abilities.

Quote:
Nuisance Effect, Accessibility, Trigger, and Temporary Disadvantage are sort of the Bucket limitations - you can get a lot done with them because they're big buckets of effects. Because they're broad, some peoples interpretations as to which bucket a given limitation goes in will obviously differ.
True enough.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #8
Anders

Ability causes a Fright Check in user, -5%
Old 02-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #9
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
If you have GURPS IOU you could use the random side effect-table as a random nuisance effect generator.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #10
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Must speak clearly -5%
I think GURPS Powers says -10% Gestures and -10% Chanting.

Tags
nuisance effect