Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-01-2020, 06:10 AM   #1
Anders

Default Template variants

Has anyone played around with the templates in Adventurers? I've been thinking about the Staffbuckler, for instance. A Swashbuckler is concentrated on rapid attacks and good defense (essential since they don't wear much armor) - and the staff is considered one of the best weapons for defense (+2 to Parry!). Plus, you could probably use the staff as a pole for a pole-vault kick (might require the Karate skill).

Has anyone else done something like this?
Old 08-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Template variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Has anyone played around with the templates in Adventurers? I've been thinking about the Staffbuckler, for instance. A Swashbuckler is concentrated on rapid attacks and good defense (essential since they don't wear much armor) - and the staff is considered one of the best weapons for defense (+2 to Parry!). Plus, you could probably use the staff as a pole for a pole-vault kick (might require the Karate skill).

Has anyone else done something like this?
Hall of Judgment features a swashbuckler (Skadi T) with a dueling glaive...
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #3
Imbicatus

It’s Gurps:DF instead of DFRPG, but Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Swashbucklers has a template alteration that specifically is for Staff-bucklers.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
Harald387

There's definitely room for variation even within the templates. Adventurers offers some guidance for this on p.14 under Customizing Professional Templates; Kromm gave us an entire article of customized pick-and-choose template pieces in Pyramid 3/113 with Five Easy Pieces.

For a "staffbuckler" specifically, using the Swashbuckler template as-is and swapping the weapon skill and Weapon Master for Quarterstaff is probably all you need to do. As staves are rarely expensive enough to justify a Weapon Bond I'd consider replacing that advantage as well (Trademark Move is an obvious choice).
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
variants