Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-07-2020, 02:36 PM   #11
Stormcrow

Default Re: Old AD&D modules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I’ve run The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
That must have worked better in GURPS than in AD&D. Saltmarsh always struck me as an awkward fit for AD&D, both mechanically and thematically. I've run it myself, and the AD&D players weren't at all interested in the town politics I set up or the haunted house itself. They just stole the ship and sailed away.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:50 AM   #12
Anders

Personally I'm looking at the 15-20 modules for Swedish DoD (the company has released them for free on the Internet).
Old 07-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #13
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
That must have worked better in GURPS than in AD&D. Saltmarsh always struck me as an awkward fit for AD&D, both mechanically and thematically.
Yes, it is an excellent fit for GURPS because so many skills can come into play. It’s also easy to tailor to the needs of a particular group. I’ve run it with groups of mostly warriors, mostly sneaks and faces, and mostly wizards. It’s a great adventure for beginning players too.

Quote:
I've run it myself, and the AD&D players weren't at all interested in the town politics I set up or the haunted house itself. They just stole the ship and sailed away.
Lol. I suppose that’s one way of doing it.

I’ve never yet run the rest of the series. Danger At Dunwater is even messier with D&D, but might work well for GURPS and DFRPG. Unlike Saltmarsh, though, I think it will do better with some good prep work.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #14
AllenOwen

I want to use the old Forgotten Realms stuff with DFRPG; looks like I can without too much work. This is what I was looking for. Thanks.
AllenOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #15
AllenOwen

Which is to say I now have a reason to begin recollecting the old AD&D 2ed Forgotten Realms stuff from my youth. GURPS has inspired me to cross WOTC's palms with a little silver soonish..
AllenOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:31 AM   #16
dripton

Not exactly AD&D, but:

Peter Dell'Orto ran Keep on the Borderlands (from the old Basic D&D box sets) using GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and there are extensive session reports on https://dungeonfantastic.blogspot.com

I ran about 80% of Castle Whiterock (huge D&D 3.5 adventure from Goodman Games) using DFRPG and there are lots of details on https://dfwhiterock.blogspot.com

I found converting DCs and monetary treasure trivial, converting monsters to be a lot of work (but much of it already done by other people on the web, if you like their conversions), and converting maps from squares to hexes and importing them into a VTT really tedious but doable. You have a lot of options though. If you'd rather not convert monsters, you can change a battle against mind flayers to a battle against Watchers at the Edge of Time. If you'd rather not convert maps from squares to hexes, you can either run theater of the mind so the map isn't as important, or use some variant facing and movement rules for squares.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #17
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
converting monsters to be a lot of work (but much of it already done by other people on the web [...] If you'd rather not convert monsters, you can change a battle against mind flayers to a battle against Watchers at the Edge of Time.
The key to using D&D monsters in GURPS or Dungeon Fantasy RPG is to not "convert" anything. Look at the D&D monster's stats and abilities and write or imagine a prose description of what that monster can do that does NOT use any game-specific terms. Then build a GURPS or DFRPG monster that can do those things. The "conversion" doesn't have to give you a mathematically identical set of stats.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #18
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOwen View Post
Has anyone taken old AD&D modules and used them in Dungeon Fantasy? I think i'd be rather straightforward to do so..
If you mean concept-wise. Yes. If you mean power-wise not so much. Of course some of the modules have lapses in logic.

I mean to expect a party of 10–14 level characters to have a chance to kill a demon goddess (Queen of the Demonweb Pits aka Q1) is laughable.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:39 AM   #19
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
If you mean concept-wise. Yes. If you mean power-wise not so much. Of course some of the modules have lapses in logic.

I mean to expect a party of 10–14 level characters to have a chance to kill a demon goddess (Queen of the Demonweb Pits aka Q1) is laughable.
It probably depends a lot on how the goddess is adapted. Was Lolth fairly weak in Module Q1 (I don't think that I've ever played it)?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:27 AM   #20
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post

I asked Gary Gygax about the Queen or the Demonweb Pits and he told me he had a different idea and that conclusion adventure to the Drow series would have been very different if he had written it. He said there were two factions of Drow, those that served Lolth and those that served the Elder Eye and the PCs would have to play them against one another to win. But instead the Queen of the Demonweb Pits ended up being a gonzo adventure that really didn’t make any sense.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote