Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2020, 03:25 AM   #11
Maz

Default Re: Dwarves with Workaholic and Compulsive Carousing

It can quickly drift into the Workaholic Alchoholic.

The person who works all the time, then hit the bar on the way home, drinking themselves into inebriety. Then still managing to get up early and go to work. Repeat.

I have known several people like this. In fact, a generation ago in Denmark, it wasn't really frowned upon- as long as you could do your part on the job, then no problem.
And the times you overslept or had to have a short lie-down at work, (too much to drink the previous night) your coworkers would cover for you... as you did for them. And since you were the one who didn't mind taking a late shift or work on holidays, you were generally well-liked.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:39 AM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrionPeacock View Post
How the combination of Workaholic and Compulsive Carousing as racial disadvantage of Dwarves would actually work?
I want them to be very hard working, spending as much time as possible on their crafts, while also being as dilingent in enjoying (drinking) their little offtime as possible.
Oh dear. I think you just reinvented the stereotypical salaryman. If it implies them finally having a non-Scottish accent though, that's a step in a new direction!
Old 10-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
How the combination of Workaholic and Compulsive Carousing as racial disadvantage of Dwarves would actually work?
I want them to be very hard working, spending as much time as possible on their crafts, while also being as dilingent in enjoying (drinking) their little offtime as possible.
I agree with what Dr. Kromm said above.

Quote:
By the way, is Alcohol considered (Ingested) Poison for the sake of Resistant?
That's the way I've done it. Alcohol poisoning is a recognized medical condition.

The definition can get tricky, though. Ingested alcohol in controlled amounts can be used medicinally, and a number of medicines can cause poisoning. For that matter, water intoxication/poisoning is medically recognized. If someone's body resists taking in water....

EDIT: I would be remiss if I didn't post how one of my GMs handled this. A PC with Resistant (Poison) at the immune level who ingested a poisonous substance, including alcohol and any mind/physically altering substance, could ingest it until they got down to -1 (on whatever). When they hit that point, they'd flush it out of their system (i.e., could go to the bathroom) and be back to normal. It was a very handy way of dealing with the above issues. You could drink alcohol and feel a slight buzz but never get drunk, take your medicine and never overdose, etc.

Last edited by Alden Loveshade; 10-29-2020 at 11:16 AM. Reason: described in post
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #14
finn

I know people (lawyers and salarymen) who work to like 7pm, eat and drink with friends or colleague colleges to 9-10pm, go back to their office and work past midnight. Close to Grey's Anatomy situation Kromm mentioned.

I could easily see Dwarves spending 2+ hours each on both lunch and dinner with family, friends or colleagues with heavy drinking, and working for most of the other waking hours.

By the way, is there actually a printed dwarf template that includes Workaholic and Compulsive Carousing or is this a new idea? Dwarves don't have those disadvantages in Fantasy, Banestorm, and Dungeon Fantasy.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #15
CarrionPeacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
By the way, is there actually a printed dwarf template that includes Workaholic and Compulsive Carousing or is this a new idea? Dwarves don't have those disadvantages in Fantasy, Banestorm, and Dungeon Fantasy.
My idea. Official templates gives them Greed but I never liked it, maybe it's true to their origins in Tolkien's stories but it doesn't fit the more popular versions I'm used to. The stereotypical Dwarf for me is not greedy, on the contrarily they'd refuse to sell their magnum opus for a mountain of gold if they consider the buyer unworthy of it. So I thought replacing Greed [-15] with Stubbornness [-5], Workaholic [-5] and Compulsive Carousing [-5] would better fit my idea of Dwarves.
CarrionPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #16
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
My idea. Official templates gives them Greed but I never liked it, maybe it's true to their origins in Tolkien's stories but it doesn't fit the more popular versions I'm used to. The stereotypical Dwarf for me is not greedy, on the contrarily they'd refuse to sell their magnum opus for a mountain of gold if they consider the buyer unworthy of it. So I thought replacing Greed [-15] with Stubbornness [-5], Workaholic [-5] and Compulsive Carousing [-5] would better fit my idea of Dwarves.
That combination I think could work fine for a Dwarf template.

I did notice that GURPS Banestorm, Dungeon Fantasy, and Fantasy all include Greed in their templates. Although Banestorm does say, "Many dwarves lack Greed...." To me, one of the most touching moments in all of Tolkien's Middle Earth stories is when the dwarf Gimli doesn't ask Lady Galadriel for riches, but for a single strand of her hair. Then again, that scene works so well because the reader doesn't expect that of one of Tolkien's dwarves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
Dwarves...in Fantasy, Banestorm, and Dungeon Fantasy.
A related question for anyone--are there Dwarf templates in any other GURPS books?
Old 10-29-2020, 01:22 PM   #17
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
A related question for anyone--are there Dwarf templates in any other GURPS books?
There's one in Basic Set
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #18
Phil Masters

Quote:
Discworld.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #19
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
There's one in Basic Set
Oh, yeah, I didn't list that dwarf template, did I? D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Discworld.
Yeah, and I was even one of your playtesters for that. For some reason, even though I know the book is powered by GURPS, I tend to think of it as separate. And I've been rather obsessed with elves lately...so thanks for the reminder!

For those who don't know, Discworld Roleplaying Game has a Disadvantage called "Dwarfish Greed" that's described under Greed on p. 64.

Any other GURPS dwarf templates I'm missing?
Old 10-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #20
Bobcloclimar

Quote:
Any other GURPS dwarf templates I'm missing?
GURPS Myth?
Bobcloclimar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compulsive carousing, workaholic