Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #1
CarrionPeacock

Default Dwarves with Workaholic and Compulsive Carousing

How the combination of Workaholic and Compulsive Carousing as racial disadvantage of Dwarves would actually work?
I want them to be very hard working, spending as much time as possible on their crafts, while also being as dilingent in enjoying (drinking) their little offtime as possible.
By the way, is Alcohol considered (Ingested) Poison for the sake of Resistant?
CarrionPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Dwarves with Workaholic and Compulsive Carousing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrionPeacock View Post
How the combination of Workaholic and Compulsive Carousing as racial disadvantage of Dwarves would actually work?
I want them to be very hard working, spending as much time as possible on their crafts, while also being as dilingent in enjoying (drinking) their little offtime as possible.
Notwithstanding that carousing doesn't necessarily have to include drinking, I would say that such a character would be likely to be working or partying pretty much every waking moment, and get a -1 reaction from coworkers who aren't as fixated on making the workplace fun as well as fellow partygoers who do not appreciate him always "having" to work late, do not want to see the cool new schematic he drew on a bar napkin while the game is on, etc.

Quote:
By the way, is Alcohol considered (Ingested) Poison for the sake of Resistant?
I would most definitely think so, unless alcohol in the game setting works very differently from how it does IRL, which is by literally poisoning you.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
CarrionPeacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Notwithstanding that carousing doesn't necessarily have to include drinking, I would say that such a character would be likely to be working or partying pretty much every waking moment, and get a -1 reaction from coworkers who aren't as fixated on making the workplace fun as well as fellow partygoers who do not appreciate him always "having" to work late, do not want to see the cool new schematic he drew on a bar napkin while the game is on, etc.
Sounds close enough to me, thanks.

Quote:
I would most definitely think so, unless alcohol in the game setting works very differently from how it does IRL, which is by literally poisoning you.
I asked because there are multiple templates (mostly dwarves) with this perk while there's already extra HT and Resistant, which makes it seem like either redudant or not included on Resistant.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

Like most every major character on Grey's Anatomy: They somehow manage to balance being on call all the time, pulling double shifts, and 17-hour surgeries – to the clear detriment of relationships outside the hospital – with a never-ending series of visits to a bar (and even alcohol in the office), and random parties and hookups in the workplace. It appears to come with the implicit assumption that everybody has as much Less Sleep as the GM allows, so I'd toss that into your template while you're at it.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
I would say that such a character would be likely to be working or partying pretty much every waking moment . . .
Elaborations on this could include: "I'm out of ideas how to do this job right now; let's mix up my thoughts a bit" or "This party's running down; let's get back to work a while, than find a late party."
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #6
CarrionPeacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
never-ending series of visits to a bar (and even alcohol in the office)
Dwarves binging grog while hammering swords and carving pillars seems trope appropriate, nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
It appears to come with the implicit assumption that everybody has as much Less Sleep as the GM allows, so I'd toss that into your template while you're at it.
Will do, thanks for the tip.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:23 PM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

After all, there's no reason why you can't work every waking moment and basically have no life outside of work, yet work at a job that involves merry work songs, good-natured competition to be best or fastest, a drink here or there, and romantic entanglements with coworkers. To you, you have a life that just happens to be at work; to everybody else, you have no life outside of work. I'd be fine with saying, "The 'most people' who are affected by Workaholic don't include your Workaholic coworkers, who think you're normal," and also, "The daily social gathering required by Compulsive Carousing can be at work, and the romantic partners you aren't 'particularly picky' about can be coworkers." Strictly speaking, work just has to fill ~12 hours a day while carousing just has to fill an hour a day, so "sleep eight hours, work 15 hours, and party for an hour" obeys the letter and spirit of both traits.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #8
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
I asked because there are multiple templates (mostly dwarves) with this perk while there's already extra HT and Resistant, which makes it seem like either redudant or not included on Resistant.
I just take it to mean they resist all ingested poisons, especially alcohol. Where normal drinking contests would use whiskey, dwarves use the local equivalent of Everclear.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
Rupert

In one of my campaigns it was a running joke that 'Dwarven Spirits' came in lead sealed bottles and other races required it to have biohazard and poison warning symbols stamped into the seal.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:22 AM   #10
WaterAndWindSpirit

I'd say you'd get dwarves being absurdly dedicated to their work to the point of doing long shifts and doing them absolutely right, etc..., followed by the afterwork party.

In short, you get the cliché version of the efficient workaholic German worker. And then you remember that Germany celebrates Oktoberfest. Wait a minute, aren't dwarves famous for their beers, just like Germany?

The very definition of "work hard, party hard".
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compulsive carousing, workaholic