Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2020, 07:24 PM   #41
Polydamas

Default Re: How do you use snipers?

The Canadian TV series Flashpoint had a sniper character, the drama centred on other parts of their life, getting into position, and deciding whether to shoot. The sniper and spotter's role as observers can also be dramatic. But once you have a situation where a character can shoot someone and be pretty confident of killing them before they know they are in danger, the actual shot is not so dramatic.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #42
AlexanderHowl

Guns (Rifle)-24 is simpler though which, quite frankly, is generally better for character design. With that skill level, they can run and gun with rifles without cinematic abilities, as well as having pretty awesome defaults.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #43
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Yes, you can accomplish a hit like that. I'm just saying that it is not the best way to model it. Giving a sniper that high of a Guns (Rifle) skill innately also turns him into a CQB monster, which he may not be- that's a modestly different skillset. Precision Shooting is a better solution.
I assume you're meaning the Precision Aiming technique, seeing as you refer to High-Tech. The problem with this is that it only works if you have sights that give aim bonuses, and that means it doesn't work with iron sights, which is a problem in my opinion. Tactical Shooting says you don't, but as the bonus you can get is still capped by the scope, you actually do there too.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."

Last edited by Rupert; 10-30-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #44
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Guns (Rifle)-24 is simpler though which, quite frankly, is generally better for character design. With that skill level, they can run and gun with rifles without cinematic abilities, as well as having pretty awesome defaults.
Well, that sort of heavily depends upon your definition of "better", doesn't it? It sure as hell isn't realistic. That is, frankly, a cinematic Guns skill level and I (personally) find playing supermen to be boring. I don't mind being point inefficient in the cause of making interesting characters. I hate playing Roland the Optimized Knight, for example. But that's just me- I acknowledge that others' goals will differ.

So if your goal is to make the Kewlest Greatest Awesomest Super Shooter Evar! well, then go for it.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:59 PM   #45
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Which is great for a cinematic character, but not for a realistic one. As a super-normal, Deadshot-esque character, they'd be pretty effective, but I wouldn't let the sniper in OP in any of my games that is trying for any level of realism. Hell, I wouldn't allow them in any game that requires characters as that's more a sniperbot. Any player that tried to present that as a character in a "realistic" game I ran, would be sat down and have a long talk to figure out where their utter misunderstanding of the word "realistic" comes from.

And, in general, I wouldn't subject my players to being the target of a sniper, as was explained above, the GM making a roll and saying "yer ded" isn't fun. I might use one as a plot device for the party to have to find and deal with before they can get their assassination shot off.

I must agree with Žorkell:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Dude, your definition of realistic is weird.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:12 PM   #46
AlexanderHowl

No, I consider such a character as merely exceptional, but they are within historical human capabilities. I do understand that many people enjoy playing games with lower point values though. In my own case, I consider such games boring and will rarely GM a game at lower than 250 CP nowadays.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:49 PM   #47
zoncxs

Quote:
No, I consider such a character as merely exceptional, but they are within historical human capabilities. I do understand that many people enjoy playing games with lower point values though. In my own case, I consider such games boring and will rarely GM a game at lower than 250 CP nowadays.
They are not within historical human capabilities, though.

Guns - 24 before any modifiers his the best shooter in human history, someone who only misses a 50 yard stationary target less than 2% of the time. Slap on all the mods that we discussed and now you got someone who has the same 2% chance to miss on a target over 1 mile away. NO ONE IS THAT GOOD. Sure, some people managed to pull of a once in a life time shot, A ONCE in a LIFE TIME.

Look, the problem is your choice of words. Realistic best in gurps is skill levels 14-16. Above that and you got myths and legends, that is cinematic. There is no arguing this, because the concept is engrained in gurps, your average joe has a skill of 10, above average up to 12, exceptional up to 14, Amazing (top of the real realm) 16.

You want to talk about cinematic snipers? we can do that, we can give you lists of what we might give them to make them a worthy npc or pc, we already gave you some of it. But please, stop trying to defend the notion that a character with a skill at 24 (not to mention 2 different talents at 4!) is "realistic". It is not.

Ok, me done. No more post on this thread for me.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lee-enfield, mad minute