Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #21
RobW

Default Re: TFT Helper - beta test of app

Abrupt end to encounter

I'm not sure if maybe the figures separated too far or what, so I'll just give a transcript of events.

It's Bass vs Scruffy Wizard.
Turn 1. Separation 10 yards.
Movement: Scruffy holds; Bass moves 5 yards
Action: Scruffy muffs spell; Bass does nothing
Turn 2. Separation 5 yards
Movement: Bass holds; Scruffy holds
Action: Scruffy cast Dazzle; Bass does nothing
Turn 3. Separation 5 yards
Movement: Bass moves 4 yards toward the enemy; Scruffy is now engaged
Action: Scruffy casts a spell. "You are hit with a blow out of nowhere!" 4 pts damage -1 for cloth = 3 hits on Bass; Bass disengages -- possible bug --is it legal to move 4 hexes then disengage?
Turn 4. Separation 2 yards
Movement: "Scruffy is hurting and runs. is engaged" -- something odd in this text; Bass moves 10 yards away from the enemy
Action: Scruffy casts a spell. "You are hit with a blow out of nowhere!" 3 pts damage -1 for cloth = 2 hits on Bass; Bass does nothing

Problem: Then there is no option to further the encounter, no "initiative" box or anything.

If I go back to the main menu, "go on an adventure", select Bass, and then "continue", it is just the same, ie no option to further the encounter.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #22
RobW

Dodge option

Possibly not a bug -- It seems that Dodge is executed during movement. For example, if I move 1 yard and Dodge, then I cannot subsequently select a different (otherwise legal) option.

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about when a Dodge is executed, and so it would be very interesting to know whether SJ feels this reflects the intention of the rules.

Last edited by RobW; 04-24-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #23
RobW

Can I just say Andrew, I am loving that this app exists! Until you say otherwise, I'll keep sending reports about possible gameplay bugs.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #24
Fuhrmanator

Is there a trick to see this forum in a more phone-friendly format? It's really cumbersome on a phone (even my progressive lenses are worthless here). Did you think about using GitHub or Google groups to track the bugs? Those sites have adaptive design. Cheers,
Cris
Fuhrmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #25
RVA_Grandpa

I'm testing on my iPhone 6. I created a priest character with one spell, Dazzle.
Testing in the arena. I was not able to use it. When I pressed the button for the spell nothing happened, but a magnifying window appeared in the upper part of the screen.

https://travelingthelabyrinth.blogsp.../p/photos.html

I hope the photo helps to see with I mean.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #26
andreww

I'm glad people are having fun, it should get to be more fun. I've fixed about half of the notes, but only made a little progress on the font sizes. There should be a new version by the end of the day.

Remember that if you end up stuck in combat with no buttons I am very concerned about that. First, try to drag up and see if the buttons to continue the fight are down below. It's supposed to scroll to the bottom, I thought I fixed all the spots where that didn't work. The bug might still be there. Please let me know:

1: What happened right before the dead end? What were the last two announcements?

2: Were the buttons down below or not?

When I play TFT I I add one logical addition to the rules on changing options on page 102: you cannot already have benefitted from the option you are switching away from. EG you select Dodge and move one hex: you have not moved too far to cast a spell, but you cannot switch to Cast/Disbelive/Missile Attack because up until that moment you were benefitting form the Dodge option. Either someone shot at you and had to roll an extra die OR they chose not to shoot at you because you were dodging. Otherwise, would you always declare the Defend option and then change it when your turn came up?

By my reckoning you select the Dodge option before movement, and since you benefit from it immediately I don't think you can change it, even if you don't get shot at. If no one could have shot at you and there was no point to taking the Defend option either you shouldn't have selected it or perhaps you couldn't know that they couldn't shoot at you. Same difference. Once you declare Dodge or Defend I don't think you should be able to switch.

Whatever Steve says, of course, will decide how the app goes.

Meanwhile, there are currently plenty of issues with the turn sequence. There will be a big re-write tomorrow AM that will either fix them all and allow two weapon parries and we'll all live happily ever after or combat will be truly broken and that's what I'll be doing all day and night. For now post anything you observe about combat, and let's see if I can nail it tomorrow AM.

Reporting bugs on the forum just sort of happened. I am getting bug reported by iOS users through the TestFlight avenue as well. I am open to using another forum, but I don't want to spend time setting that up. If everyone loves the same idea and we can jump over without any set up that's possible.

"Adaptive Design" is obviously a phrase that's keeping me awake at night at the moment. It should be happening now, but tablet users know it's not. Soon.
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:07 PM   #27
andreww

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA_Grandpa View Post
I'm testing on my iPhone 6. I created a priest character with one spell, Dazzle.
Testing in the arena. I was not able to use it. When I pressed the button for the spell nothing happened, but a magnifying window appeared in the upper part of the screen.

I hope the photo helps to see with I mean.
Thank you for the screen shot, that makes it clear what's going on. Next, I tell you that what you saw should not have happened. Finally I tell you that I cannot recreate it. Well, almost. I can see Dazzle isn't working. Grrrr. It used to.

The magnification pane I don't understand at all.
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:29 PM   #28
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww View Post
Question for the Android users: in combat do you see the dice as black with white pips or different colors for each number? The unicode for the die faces is supposed to be black and white, but some devices use a unicode bitmap with colors. I'm not sure how many devices, so I don't know how seriously to take that behavior.
I saw colored dice with white pips, then sometimes I get not a number as in
"You roll NaNdNaN for damage... for a total of NaN.
Jon of the Isles takes NaN points of damage. And they're out."

Edited to add: I have one character that once it started seems to always get NaN for damage. The other character still gets numbers for damage. I've always only gotten colored dice.

Android 8.0.0, Samsung Galaxy S8. More info on request.

It's a neato app! Thanks!

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium

Last edited by tomc; 04-24-2019 at 04:34 PM.
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:44 PM   #29
Fuhrmanator

I spotted a bug where a new combat of a player that died previously was subject to a dx penalty from injuries. It's a big since I cleared my progress after dying.

I'm a software engineer who's coded a few versions of Melee arena combat and know that kind of bug is one that won't happen if the software is developed with tests (e.g. unit tests). I'm happy to point out the kinds of resources to do it, if it's useful.
Fuhrmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #30
mfoster81

I really like the app.

I have noticed that you can't ready a shield and a one-handed weapon (i.e. short sword, etc). You can only ready a shield or a sword but not both.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.
mfoster81 is offline   Reply With Quote