Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Fated GURPS - From GURPS to Fate to GURPS Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
A Daredevil reskin is a decent way to do it, but High Concept being an Aspect does involve the Compel mechanic, which (as you note) might fit Higher Purpose a little bit better.

Though, just adding the "vow/code" aspect of Higher Purpose onto Daredevil would also fit perfectly.
I'd use the rules from Pointless Looting and Slaying for the compel part - basically a -10 point disadvantage that's like a quirk writ large and can cause multiple issues, not just one, when the GM uses it. You can avoid using it by paying Impulse Points or you can do it and have impulse points refreshed.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #12
SteamBub

Mook did up some Fate/GURPS crossover mechanic stuff on his blog. The rest of the links are on the bottom of the post.
SteamBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:31 PM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I'd use the rules from Pointless Looting and Slaying for the compel part - basically a -10 point disadvantage that's like a quirk writ large and can cause multiple issues, not just one, when the GM uses it. You can avoid using it by paying Impulse Points or you can do it and have impulse points refreshed.
That's a good way of rolling it.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #14
mook

As SteamBub mentioned, I've posted about this a bit and used a lot of it to inform my GURPS games. Our games have grown progressively more Fate-like, but we still prefer GURPS if for no other reason that its much, much easier to streamline GURPS down than it is to try and "grit" Fate up.

Regarding bennies and spending resource points for in-game control of things, as noted Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys is the book for that (and one of my faves).

The GURPS-iest Fate flavor I'm aware of is Strands of Fate, which just released a 2nd edition a short time ago.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:28 AM   #15
Gavynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace
Do they have specific aspects?
No, those are made up as the character is created. Something like "Last Surviving Ninja of the Red Hand Clan" or similar. Because of Fate's more freeform nature you can create aspects like that on the fly and still have mechanical effects for them. That is harder for GURPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore
The closest analog is probably Higher Purpose. Allow your Players to choose Higher Purposes described in the same manner as Aspects and allow them to apply as Aspects would.
I went back and reread "Higher Purpose" and I think you are right. It might be the closest analogy. Higher Purpose and Wildcard skills might go a long way.

Quote:
Fate Points are roughly analogous to Impulse Points with some limits on how they can be spent.
I need to read the Impulse Buys book. There might be a way to tie them to the Higher Purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs
There is material on lenses in Templates Toolkit 1.
I will buy that one soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice
I wrote this blog post as a way to emulate Fate's "High Concept" mechanic. Turned out pretty well.
That is interesting. Thank you for writing it. It is almost like "Archetype" as "Higher Purpose".

Quote:
Aspects (unless they've changed since Dresden Files/FATE v. 1) don't impart skills or abilities.
Yeah, they don't exactly impart a skill since skills are separate, but it is vague. They certainly help you with skills. If you are "The Last Surviving Ninja of the Red Hand Clan" you might invoke that to represent exceptional athletic ability to avoid a pit trap you might otherwise have fallen into.

Then yes there are environmental aspects too, but I mainly focused on character aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
This is a much faster way to build characters. It helps the GM make sure all PC's have some useful skills for the game they are about to run. And also avoid min/maxing. It also helps keep some niche protection.
...but it takes a long time to make them. :)
Exactly exactly. I love GURPS, but one of my problem as a GM has always been that I have felt like I needed to create a whole wordbook to get going. Dungeon Fantasy does certainly help out in a big way toward playing those kinds of games. That's why I am a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamBub
Mook did up some Fate/GURPS crossover mechanic stuff on his blog. The rest of the links are on the bottom of the post.
Now that was a great read. I bookmarked that. I going to save that for extended reference. Thank you Mook for writing that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamBub
Our games have grown progressively more Fate-like, but we still prefer GURPS if for no other reason that its much, much easier to streamline GURPS down than it is to try and "grit" Fate up.
Yes, that is exactly the conclusion I have come to as well. I think it much better to have all the GURPS underpinnings there and abstract away when needed, then start with something abstract and then not have the underpinning when you need it.
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:53 AM   #16
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavynn View Post
I need to read the Impulse Buys book. There might be a way to tie them to the Higher Purpose.
Points spent as Impulse Buys that fall under Higher Purpose you get back faster? Or even immediately?
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #17
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Points spent as Impulse Buys that fall under Higher Purpose you get back faster? Or even immediately?
Or that it takes an Impulse Point to tag your Aspect, if it isn't taggable for free by the situation... rather like FATE.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote