Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-29-2017, 02:49 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Horror Scenario: Babies without souls

This is essentially the p-zombie thought experiment, yes? So it might range from a zero point feature (which presumably makes you susceptible to some supernatural effects and immune to others) to full on Automaton.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 06-29-2017 at 02:56 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:56 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
To explorer this I think we have to first understand what a soul is in GURPS terms, it's not something I really understand... all I can figure is maybe GURPS Spirits in 3e or Thaumatology deal with it?
There is no baked in dualism in GURPS. Cherry picking your examples from magic systems as you did isn't very valid. I could easily use examples from Transhuman Space and Reign of Steel to demonstrate that GURPS is wholly materialist.

Souls, and the existence, nonexistence, and nature thereof, are setting dependent.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #13
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post
It is not known yet, but a human cannot survive without a soul. Since a soulless has no soul of its own, it needs to feed regularly on the souls of the people around him.

As a baby, it feeds on the soul of its parents. Later it feeds on his class-mates and friends. People who are fed upon don't die immediately but look less lively and more depressive. Parents of soulless look very tired (No one noticed that, because parents of babies often look tired.). Later they feed on several people at the same time so that the effect is less notable. You don't find anything wrong with a soulless itself. It's just that the people around him look tired and faded. They also often switch in their social environments and don't have long-lasting friendships or relationships.

Feeding on souls often works better when people are emotional. Causing Pain, anger, lust is a second nature to them. When you investigate their career paths you see that they always work at places where these emotions are exploited. In the end they have big conspiracies to cause more raw emotion in the world (Pick you favourite negative influence and let them be the ones behind it.)
You could go with the Gaudivore from Horror, which Afflicts Chronic Depression and Links it to Leech. Put this together with Draining (p. B1329) and you get someone who will lose HP unless they use their power. A less extreme gaudivore could simply make people feel down in the dumps - a quirk. Maybe long-term effects include Chronic Depression. Lifebane is another possibility.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #14
Rigil_Kent

Just as interesting to me is why? Obviously, this is a sinister conspiracy by some secretive cabal, but what are their goals? Are they purely demonic in nature or is this wizardly action intended to breed an army of easily controlled thralls? Does the universe spin out means to undo this? Can a freed soul be grafted upon one of the Soulless and create a whole person or does this only exacerbate the problem?

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:14 PM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
What if they had no soul? What effects do you think this would have on them, apart from "non-viable" (which is boring). This naturally assumes that there are such things as souls and that they perform some function.
Obviously, that depends on what function souls perform. Unless the effects are either very subtle or very slow (15+ years), a big result is that IVF is never approved for general medical use (looks like the FDA moved IVF equipment from 'premarket' to 'special controls' in 1998) and the number of IVF babies remains quite small.

Well, unless children born by IVF are clearly better than other children. But that's its own rather special variety of horror.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigil_Kent View Post
Just as interesting to me is why? Obviously, this is a sinister conspiracy by some secretive cabal, but what are their goals? Are they purely demonic in nature or is this wizardly action intended to breed an army of easily controlled thralls? Does the universe spin out means to undo this? Can a freed soul be grafted upon one of the Soulless and create a whole person or does this only exacerbate the problem?
Soulless children can be soul-jarred by those with the know how, transferring the consciousness of a recently freed soul into the infant body. This is the new method of immortality. Its reasonably traumatic, and there's the whole "make this new body obey me" thing, but hey, its immortality. You didn't think it would be easy, did you?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #17
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Soulless children can be soul-jarred by those with the know how, transferring the consciousness of a recently freed soul into the infant body. This is the new method of immortality.
Ooh, that's a good one. It explains both why no-one has noticed anything distinctive about IVF children, and why the secretive cabal started up the IVF thing in the first place. Plus it's super-creepy.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #18
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Ooh, that's a good one. It explains both why no-one has noticed anything distinctive about IVF children, and why the secretive cabal started up the IVF thing in the first place. Plus it's super-creepy.
Though if the only thing something does is protect you from possession, calling it a 'soul' seems like a stretch (really, anything other than full-up dualism seems problematic for calling it a soul, meaning the soulless would probably lack free will and a sense of self).
Old 06-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #19
acrosome

There was a neat version of the "soulless" in a book called The Flicker Men. A protagonist found some people who could not collapse the waveform by observing the photons passing through a slit in the double-slit experiment. Apparently, according to the universe the soulless didn't count as observers...

That's incredibly deep when you think about it. You could use it to build more of a cosmic science rather than religious atmosphere.

The soulless in the book were sort of running on autopilot, mimicking humanity. Stimulus-response on a very complex algorithm, but they didn't have real free will. They were the mooks in reality. Animals, not humans. Space-fillers for the souls around them. Maybe sociopaths. Anyway, eventually the protagonists developed a detector based upon the double-slit experiment. Then the book sort of goes off the rails, frankly. The first half is the most interesting.

Also, at some point some smartguy gets the idea to insert the detector into pregnant wombs to figure out when souls "attach" to a fetus, but the book doesn't explore this (deeply disturbing) aspect of the plot.

Last edited by acrosome; 06-29-2017 at 07:16 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #20
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Though if the only thing something does is protect you from possession, calling it a 'soul' seems like a stretch (really, anything other than full-up dualism seems problematic for calling it a soul, meaning the soulless would probably lack free will and a sense of self).
I'd actually be more inclined to the other extreme - a soul that does anything detectable is not a soul. Souls are a residue of Platonic philosophy - they're the "essence" of you. Anything you can detect is an "accident". A significant part of their philosophical function is to distinguish between you and an utterly identical copy that cannot be told apart from you, as a refutation of an interpretation of resurrection as creating you "again".

Tags
horror, ivf