Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-30-2016, 04:21 PM   #41
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Other options --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
Hearthfires going cold and other Low-Tech spookiness
Livestock giving birth to perfectly normal livestock -- of another species. A sheep will deliver a goat. A cow delivers a litter of piglets.

And people think that these odd-borne have special powers. Don't give them any -- it will drive the PCs nuts to think about what's hidden.

Squirrels in the high branches with what appear to be human faces. [From HP Lovecraft.] But when they're shot with bow or hit with stone when they hit the ground they seem perfectly normal.

Faint sounds, such as groans, coming from beneath the earth. [A materialist would simply attribute this to freezing/thawing or minor earth tremors. An early Low Tech person might consider demons.] [Also Lovecraft.]

A peddler comes through the ville. He seems perfectly normal as do his products -- but some, which he offers only when one and no more of the villagers are . . . special. Magic beans that produce no avenue to giants but lots of oddly colored fruit -- very tasty. Perhaps . . . too tasty. A folding knife that never gets dull -- as long as you feed it with blood once a week. Animal blood . . . at least to start with. A hair ribbon that makes the owner irresistible to the opposite sex. At least the wearer thinks so.

Just a few coppers a purchase, and an X-signature on a piece of paper with some writing on it. "Nothing important . . . a mere formality. You'll never miss it -- excuse me, I meant to say something else."
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #42
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Horror] [Low-Tech] Hearthfires going cold and other Low-Tech spookiness

Those interesting items do sound like Needful Things. ;)
Old 11-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #43
Bruno

Default Re: Other options --

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheobviouspseudonym View Post
Squirrels in the high branches with what appear to be human faces. [From HP Lovecraft.] But when they're shot with bow or hit with stone when they hit the ground they seem perfectly normal.
Which reminds me of stories from various east-Asian countries about the local weird non-human-primate being the ghosts of the dead villagers.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #44
The Colonel

Default Re: [Horror] [Low-Tech] Hearthfires going cold and other Low-Tech spookiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Well, except for the naming and founding legend of Rome itself, and all those statues of Romulus and Remus sitting around, or appearing on their coins and such...
I meant a taboo artefact, like the aforementioned undead children.
The Colonel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:46 PM   #45
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Which reminds me of stories from various east-Asian countries about the local weird non-human-primate being the ghosts of the dead villagers.
I'm pretty sure I've heard/read something about cicadas or other noisy insects being ghosts or evil spirits, but I'm not sure where or when.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:05 AM   #46
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I'm pretty sure I've heard/read something about cicadas or other noisy insects being ghosts or evil spirits, but I'm not sure where or when.
From someone being driven slowly mad by the thunderous sound of an entire cohort of cicadas, perhaps.

Whippoorwills sing for the dead; when they gather outside a home and sing in unison, someone is sure to die before dawn. Having an enormous, passenger-pigeon-style flock of them appear and coat the landscape would be... alarming.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #47
Flyndaran
Untagged

Being the only one whose estate isn't covered in seasonal loud creatures would probably be just as creepy and prone to angering neighbors.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:34 AM   #48
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Isn't there a Japanese horror film called "cicadas when they cry" (or the equivalent in translation)?
The Colonel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #49
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Isn't there a Japanese horror film called "cicadas when they cry" (or the equivalent in translation)?
It's a horror game, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (the red is apparently important), which was made into various other media, including a couple of live action films. Rather scary and creepy, too. The version I'm familiar with involves a time-loop in June, 1983, as the characters kill each other over and over again.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 01-22-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, low-tech